Author Topic: Starboard Hyper nut- anyone tried one ?  (Read 6417 times)

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starboard Hyper nut- anyone tried one ?
« on: October 01, 2018, 06:31:54 AM »
Hi guys

Looking to compliment my sunova with something more stable and there seem to be quite a few of these avaliable for sale used.

May I ask if anyone has tried one?

I'm suspicious by how many are for sale barely used. At the least they appear marmite.

Some real world experiences would be very interesting thanks :)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starboard Hyper nut- anyone tried one ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 07:30:50 AM »
There's a reason there's a lot for sale, I've ridden one a couple of times, didn't like it. Didn't feel that quick to me, and just overall not really something I see filling a need for me. (Slower, mushy waves).
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:06:32 AM »
There's a reason there's a lot for sale, I've ridden one a couple of times, didn't like it. Didn't feel that quick to me, and just overall not really something I see filling a need for me. (Slower, mushy waves).

^ Same experience, both for the 8' and the 8'6
in progress...

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 11:07:37 AM »
Interesting. I did wonder why there were so many.

The JP slate seems to be more popular.

Do these boards actually carve ? Or just slide around ?

I did try a hypernut for an hour. Didn't get many waves on it. But it seemed to slide around rather than carve.

Super slow paddle out too.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 11:11:01 AM »
Hey devon -

I also noticed that there were a good amount coming for sale at good prices and decided to pick one up just a couple weeks ago.  Not for stability but for more of a shortboard feel and something that I may install a box on and learn to foil.  I typically ride 8'6" - 9'2" x 29 boards at ~120 liters and I picked up the 7'4" carbon Hypernut at 106 liters - this thing rips!

If you surf fast beach break or come from a shortboard surfing background I think you will love it.  If you are a drop in and go pretty straight down the line with a couple of small turns kind of guy it's not really the board for you.  To really appreciate it you need to be able to put it on rail.  I expected it to feel more "skatey" but the parallel rails really let you carve through turns.  If you are sliding around you are doing it wrong  ;D

Soft and mushy days I will still go back to my 9'2" longboard shape but any days with juice or fast sections and I'll be on the hypernut.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 02:16:40 PM »
I am also a fan of the Hypernut but interestingly enough I also have the 7'4x30x106L (I weigh 185lbs) that I use for SUP surfing and learning to foil.  I am of the opinion that the board needs to be rightsized to the individual and should be ridden quite a bit shorter than your other boards (e.g. if I had the 8'6x31.5x132L I probably won't be as happy with it though I feel like I might like the 7'2x28 version).  The board has a lot of drive and speed.  Downsides are that at 7'4 it puts me in the middle of the prone lineup and because of the wide nose/tail I don't think it is the right board for super fast critical waves which is why I feel people are moving to the hybrid tomo shapes. 

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 04:17:42 AM »
i always wonder why so many review the HN as slow or just generally disappointing. for me, it has been the best board i've owned, and though i've tried and bought others, the HN continues to be my go-to board for all conditions. the stability is so good for its size, and it is not a slow mover. you have to get back on the tail, or it will be skatey. i own the 8' which seems perfect for me at 205 lbs, but found the 7'8" to be too small. Cannot imagine needing the 8'6".  going on 4 years with the same board says something.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 05:58:25 AM »
I was out on my 7'10" Phoenix a few weeks ago and swapped with a guy on a similar sized HN.  It was fun but the rails felt a little boxy...I had a hard time getting my Infinity back. ;D

My first foilboard experience (tow behind) was on a small HN in which case the extra stability was great for shuffeling my feet into place.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 06:43:30 AM »
Maybe the better question to ask HN owners is in which conditions do you see the board
excels? and which skill level this board is meant for like Sunova suggest on their website?

I've tried both 8 and 8'6 (2016 models) and stability never even crossed my mind.
But in the soft riff break conditions I've tried it, it just didn't have enough juice.

I can only assume HN design progressed over the past 2 years and so maybe the sluggishness
I've experienced with these boards may not be not be the case with newer models.
in progress...

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 11:19:51 PM »
Ok thanks guys very interesting

It seems these boards like to be ridden really small to get the most out of them. So perhaps they aren't the super stable option they first appear ?

They don't seem to have any real haters though- at least not on here. Interesting.

I'm going to demo a couple and then decide.

I wonder- do they impr9ve your surfing my encouraging dozens of turns a wave ? Or do they flatter the rider by doing a lot of the work for him?

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 07:46:32 AM »
Ok thanks guys very interesting

It seems these boards like to be ridden really small to get the most out of them. So perhaps they aren't the super stable option they first appear ?

They don't seem to have any real haters though- at least not on here. Interesting.

I'm going to demo a couple and then decide.

I wonder- do they impr9ve your surfing my encouraging dozens of turns a wave ? Or do they flatter the rider by doing a lot of the work for him?

Yes!  I think the key words for me, are that they are "super-stable for their size" with the parallel rails and enable you to surf a much smaller board and be stable.  It definitely made me a better surfer because it made me catch waves right where they are breaking and likes to turn and be worked (doesn't do the work for you) which are transferable across boards.  It also enables you to shred small waves where on a longer board you may just get turn down the line--sometimes I have fun just surfing the inside shorebreak on it.  Demo is definitely the way to go as it is definitely a quiver addition as opposed to a one-board solution.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 11:02:22 AM »
I had the 7'4- and on the right wave its great.    For me- that right wave was something non-critical (aka barelling shorebreak) Larger than waist high to generate speed, but not total mush.

If your break is a relatively steep but non-pitching wave....its a great board.

For me....I just was not in that type of wave enough to use it so sold it.

Maybe the better question to ask HN owners is in which conditions do you see the board
excels? and which skill level this board is meant for like Sunova suggest on their website?

I've tried both 8 and 8'6 (2016 models) and stability never even crossed my mind.
But in the soft riff break conditions I've tried it, it just didn't have enough juice.

I can only assume HN design progressed over the past 2 years and so maybe the sluggishness
I've experienced with these boards may not be not be the case with newer models.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 05:31:28 AM »
I have had the HN 7-8 for two years now. I have a 16'  Brushed Carbon and a new 18' Starlite  model.. I live here on the East Coast where the waves are not the best that lack power and push.. I ride the HN in the small to mid size 2-4 ft mush and slow rolling waves. It floats me well at 186 lbs. Its light weight allows me to pump and skate across the wave making sections that collapse in the slow waves.  The board keeps me in the power section on the slow flatter waves and generates speed when i needed it.  I ride the board on my front foot  sort of a skate style. The HN allows me to have fun in our gutless waves. In waves of power with top to bottom shape and size, i have discovered that the board gets hung up with late take offs. The boxier rails and wide tail doesn't allow me to stay in the arcing pocket pushing me ahead of the section where the wave is flatter.  When I step back on the tail in the steep conditions  it slows down and loose speed. Maybe due to the super wide tail? I'm not really a fan of quad fins boards even though many favor this fin configuration. I'm a thruster or 2+1 fan with a heavy back foot surfing style. Bury the tail drive the rail type surfing.
  When the waves are flatter, slower  and mushy walls its my go to board. When waves are punchier i ride a thruster narrow tail SUP model .
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 03:32:15 PM »
Interesting thanks guys. Clearly there are fans out there. And they do seem to suit certain conditions.

Certainly not steep or performance waves. And whether they flatter the user or really reward and develop good technique is still unclear.

I will demo when I have trimmed down a bit!

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 07:09:20 AM »
bought the 8.0.......meh.......sold it
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal