Author Topic: What's the repair?  (Read 2302 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
What's the repair?
« on: October 08, 2018, 07:12:12 PM »
I recently perforated my Pau Hana Ricochet board. Even these tough-skinned boards get dinged. I think it happened in my garage, not on the water. I'm not sure whether to just patch this over or dig out the damaged skin for a more extensive repair. The area under the ding is a little soft. It's been drying for about a week now.

What's the best way to fix this?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What's the repair?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 08:31:07 PM »
There are a few ways to approach this repair. First you need to cut out the flaps, and make a square hole in the glass with a box knife. Let the board dry for a good week at least. You can shove a paper towel in the hole to wick the water and leave the hole face down. At this point you can use a polyurethane two part pour foam or gorrilla glue in a small piece of scrap foam. Actually any foam. It's just support for the patch. The two part can be expensive if you don't already have some laying around. Scrap EPS can be found in trash cans, craft stores, I've even cut up a cheap eps foam ice chest. It's used in all kinds of packaging. Cut the square down into the foam about half an inch. Then cut a matching piece of foam out of scrap and glue it in. I let it extend above the surface a 1/4" or more. Once the glue dries, take a serrated knife and trim it to about an 1/8" above the surface. Then sand it flush. Sand the perimeter of your patch hole by at least 1". You don't have to, but I will put a coat of light weight Spackle over it. Let the spackle dry, and do a final light sand.
Then cut some small squares of glass (4 or 6 oz.) that lap at least 1/2". Use at least 2 layers, but 3 is fine too. You apply them all at once. Mix some 2-part (Resin Research) epoxy and brush some between each layer. You can kinda of dab it through all the layers if you want. Spread it even and let cure 24 hrs. Sand it down close to flush be don't sand into the glass too much. Clean all the sand residue off the patch, and brush a final coat of epoxy over that. Do a final sand as close as you can get without cutting into the glass on the patch.
Next is to match the paint color as best as you can. Then coat with a clear sealer.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:35:43 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 08:44:39 PM »
Agree with TD.

Here is a fast and precise way to replace foam.  Take a hole saw just a little bigger than the damage area and cut out the damaged glass and foam.  Use the same saw to cut a fresh piece of foam plug.  Insert the plug, it will be a bit loose, but that’s perfect for gorilla glue (or epoxy/Q cell) whichever you have handy. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 08:52:29 PM »
BTW Iccy, We did end up staying in Milford. It's a nice town and was a perfect, convenient place to stay.
It's not overhead to me!

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 05:39:49 PM »
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the steps. And I'm glad things worked out, TallDude. My source kind of fizzled out. I should have gotten back to you.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 06:52:30 PM »
So I finally got to the cut. The skin on this Ricochet board is fairly tough, but my box knife got through it pretty easily. As I cut, the skin on either side of the cut had a tendency to crack. The damage was just at the surface, and there seems to be no water inside. I'm going to let it sit until next weekend anyway.

Home Depot sells foam sheets. I got a 2'x2' goal sheet to fill in an area the size of a large postage stamp! Actually, the foam will be good when I finally repair the board my son perforated last year.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 02:22:47 PM »
That will work. A little foam, a little gorilla glue, and you're on the right path. So many boards get repaired without letting the foam properly dry. The boards just get heavier and heavier. You can see mold growing under the glass if it's not painted like yours. Painted boards can hide a lot of damage. 
It's not overhead to me!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal