Author Topic: revisiting the reverse duck dive  (Read 29131 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: revisiting the reverse duck dive
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2018, 06:02:49 PM »
Always...pop the nose....that's how you get up and over....coupled with a hard stroke into it and a bracing stroke on the backside. I sit in the zone and practice if I'm feeling rusty.....good timing of all the pieces and even bigger foamballs can be easy.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:05:25 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2018, 08:12:44 PM »
" As the wave approaches and breaks in front of me, I jump off next to the board and go straight down feet first, and let the wave go over my head. "   :o

Don't try that in Hawaii or by any rocky reef or shoreline.  You can also hit bottom pretty hard on a sandy beach and injure your feet .... especially in stingray season.

The best places to surf usually have nasty things under the water that make the waves break.  Fall flat or flat dive to the side or over .  You can sweep your paddle as you go over to stay above the foam.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2018, 12:54:18 PM »
This was great! Thanks for all the advice.

In conclusion. When faced with a wave, I will a: get thru the wave, b: get over those damn foamballs, or c: reverse duck-dive. In that order of preference.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2018, 02:56:21 PM »

Somebody else (I think supboardermag.com) called it a "tombstone", and the way you describe it makes perfect sense. I visualized it exactly that way. As the wave approaches and breaks in front of me, I jump off next to the board and go straight down feet first, and let the wave go over my head. This puts my head safely below the surface, and my feet and the leash 7 feet down. The board "tombstones". This keeps it from "whipping" at the 20 foot radius of injury at the end of my outstretched leg. Instead it stays pretty much above me.

OUCH. No! I can't think of anywhere except maybe a deep water big wave where that would be a good idea--and even there most people don't do that--if only because it's a terrible habit. In Maui you'd have an excellent chance of crawling up the beach bleeding profusely with Wana spines sticking out anywhere that wasn't slashed having damaged the coral by slamming your feet into what Covesurfer called "pincushions and razor blades". Lots of other places you be bashing into rocks, cobble, or stingrays. Never dive or jump deep into water your don't know everything about.

Oops. Other people already said that. Oh well, never mind. +1.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2018, 03:12:02 PM »
It also just looks dorky.   :o

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2018, 06:50:09 PM »
As a conclusion to my posting, I put a handle on my sup, use it occasionally. But have found that the FCS tail stomper that I installed (thanks to another zoner video by supthecreek) has a very nice lip and I have been using that instead. I also have seen that the new fanatic and starboard's have nice exaggerated kickers that look like they'd be good for holding without risking one's fingers.

Either way, thanks for helping me to figure out how to control my board in whitewater. As with everything, practice makes perfect (or at least serviceable). I get over a lot of foam balls now by paddling, leaning back, and getting a paddle in on the top. Although if there is a lot of backwash or wind, it gets difficult.

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal