Author Topic: revisiting the reverse duck dive  (Read 29308 times)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: revisiting the reverse duck dive
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 05:29:26 AM »
You don’t necessarily need a handle in bigger waves (big is relative). If you’ve never used a tail handle or are wondering how effective it is, try it with whatever board you have, in any size surf. You can even just toss your arm over the tail (loosely) and it will have the same effect. I’ve used handles in the past but all of the stories of getting fingers caught scares me so I just use the kick pad and toss my arm over it to sink the tail. This past Saturday I surfed for a couple hours in head high to slightly overhead waves and had no issues with this method. I surf pretty small boards so that makes it easier. Even with a larger board, if you’re able to deflect some of the initial impact it makes a big difference. The bottom line is that if it’s done properly, handle or not, it makes large whitewater comical and relaxing.

Now if only NSi would listen to Stoney and put those tail pads into production.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 06:11:14 AM »
I've used it in the biggest wave I surf, which is 7 to 10 Hawaiian, a little more than double overhead. The board gets ripped away, but I don't go for leashrides and it's close by when the tumbling stops.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 07:09:35 AM »
I know that if I hadn't had that tail handle I might not be here. The pounding I took from Maria at 2nd beach last fall might have been my last if I hadn't come up next to my board and had a tail handle to grab on to. It would have been ripped from my hands...maybe with some fingers if I'd tried to grab a leash.

That was just grab on and pray but there is some timing and technique that helps as waves get bigger. If I have time and can get ready for it I curl into a semi-fetal position as I push down the tail....the duck part I referred to above. As I push the tail down I stick my ass into the wave and tuck my feet up under me some. The wave passes over my back instead of hitting it square and my feet are up and away from fins. Then as soon as the wave has passed over me and hits the board I straighten up quickly perpendicular to the surface...acting like a sea anchor.

I hardly move in up to head high, and bigger you just give some. Like Bill said if it's too big/thick and it takes the board (you need to know when to let go) you've still dampened the effect. But normally you have complete control of the board, a quick twist and the board is 180 deg and ready to mount. Timing is important too, sticking your ass into the wave just as it hits has you thrusting your chest and thighs in opposition to the wave. Pulling your feet up under you helps in driving the tail down,  and gets them in position to kick into perpendicular. The better you do it the bigger the wave where it works. And too early or too late are not as effective.

Very important as Badger mentioned...keep your arms bent...if they get pulled straight its time to let go and also if it starts to twist. Sprained my wrist on an early version when I gripped too tight and didn't let go
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 07:36:19 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 08:47:09 AM »
A very good safety point is that when holding on to the board, you are not depending on the leash, which could break.

It prolongs the life of the leash because you are not using it. Save the leash for when you need it, use the handle when you don't.

By holding on to your board, you are protecting others from getting hit by it as well as preventing the board from getting in someones way when they are trying to surf the wave.

There is no reason why you should have to retrieve your board every time a wave hits you.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 08:53:16 AM »
So if i understand correctly you're just sinking the tail, and letting the white water hit your head and shoulders as you are facing the shore? Or do you try to sink your body and head then pull the tail down?

SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 09:22:08 AM »
You could call it a butt drop? I grab the handle with the board facing the beach, take a breath and sink my butt.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2018, 12:50:05 PM »
All I do is sink the tail with my back to the whitewater. Everything else takes care of itself. I think it's actually better to float as high as possible.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »
I am experimenting with it in 2-3 foot whitewater first. Just pressing the tail down and holding on to the ridge on the back of my stomp pad. It is amazing how much less energy I expend. Before I would throw the board over, or try and hold onto it and I would invariably get pushed back by the white wash. Now I just magically float on the top of the wave as it goes under me. Be careful, though, if it is a wave that is breaking on your head. Especially a shore break.

I am a advanced beginner, so I have no desire to go out when it is over 3-4 feet, but I felt like I  needed more control when there are surfers behind me.

I just wanted to start a new topic to see if people had any new advice in the 3 years since it was last updated. Below is the link to the rather long original post. I read it twice.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=25430.90

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 01:44:10 PM by supsean »
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2018, 03:10:46 PM »
There was a lot of experimentation going on back then. I don't think I've seen anyone else using a tail handle for as long as I've been doing this. I try to explain it to people but no one seems to get it. To me a tail handle is a very important piece of equipment. I've had prone surfers thank me for using it.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 01:50:51 PM »
so is the consensus tail handle or no and just use stomp pad?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 02:23:08 PM »
Not sure about consensus but a tail handle is far better than just a stomp.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2018, 04:22:59 PM »
Go ahead and try the stomp pad and see how you like it. A custom stomp pad like Stoneaxe's design would be nice but most stock stomp pads don't have enough ledge to provide enough hold.

The NSI handle is more comfortable, easier to hold on to and provides a more secure grip on the board.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 04:27:00 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 05:04:23 PM »
There was a lot of experimentation going on back then. I don't think I've seen anyone else using a tail handle for as long as I've been doing this. I try to explain it to people but no one seems to get it.

heh, I'm one of the ones that still doesn't get it.  ;D

I've tried grabbing the stromp pad and pushing down on it, but I can't sink the tail and get the nose to pop up unless I actually lift half my body out of the water and put all that weight down on it.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding the timing though... is the idea to sink the tail/lift the nose before the whitewater hits, or do you just stay submerged to your shoulders in the water gripping the tail, such that when the white water does hit the board, you keep the tail from rising and let the whitewater lift the nose?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2018, 07:00:57 PM »
Hi Luke. You push down on the tail just before the whitewater hits you. You want the nose of the board to point upward as a result. It's okay if pushing down lifts you up a bit. I have no trouble doing this even with the 237 liter M-12'6.

The upward pointing nose will allow the wave to pass by. If the board is laying down flat, it will get pulled right out of your hands.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:19:09 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2018, 07:24:07 PM »
It doesn't take much on smaller waves, I can sink the tail enough with one hand most of the time , enough to help anyway. The timing comes into play more with bigger waves that are breaking. I'll use it in any wave that isn't going to suck me up and over the falls.

If I have time I throw my right forearm over the tail and grab the handle with my left hand. Paddle is in the right hand with the shaft along the rail and blade pointed toward the nose. When I push the board down with my forearm, I want the tail deep and under me, that does lift my back up out of the water. The wave  washes over my back and down onto the board which drives the board deeper...and because of the angle of the board...back and down. It pretty much stops dead in the water in up to a head high wave. I'm entering the backside when my body goes straight and the board is already popping back up. It pulls my arm out a bit and then I'm in perfect position to pull back with my left hand and spin the board on it's tail back into paddling position...jump on and go. I have it down pretty good.....we had 14s period last Sunday. That was enough to get hit, turned around, get back up and moving before the next hit. Fighting over the whitewater is 1/2 the fun of SUP...I made it over some BIG foamballs Sunday after recovering with the handle.

It is bizarre that handles haven't found wider use/acceptance. I can't imagine surfing without one now. I think this is the 1st tail handle thread on the zone...10 years old. There have been 5 or 6 since at least with lots of testimony by folks how well they work. I still see only 1 in 10 boards with one.
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2741.0
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:41:32 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal