Author Topic: revisiting the reverse duck dive  (Read 29137 times)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: revisiting the reverse duck dive
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2018, 06:57:57 PM »
How many people here have tried a well-thought out handle and afterwards decided to go without?

Pono is right when he says "But most important is the simple fact that I don't know of anyone who has tried one for any length of time who has decided not to use them." The utility they provide can't be replaced. I can't think of a reason not to have one.

I used to have a few on some of my boards when I lived in CA but have since stopped using them. Whether it was laziness or the fact that I go through many boards, who knows. Could also be that using a handle made me more comfortable when getting pounded and now I can handle the same situations without a handle. I use a very similar method though, I just put my hand on top of the stomp pad ridge and 90% of the time I stay in contact with the board. Works for me and I don't have to worry about fingers, etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2018, 07:35:04 PM »
Thanks for this tip. Just putting my hand or the paddle on the stomp pad has saved me some long underwater pulls this week! :)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2018, 08:44:06 AM »
my experience same as kaya's

add that my skills paddling over have gotten to the point where, if i cant get over, i will be going deep and ditching--and my ability to insure that, when i ditch, my board wont get near other humans, has gotten quite reliable

and my rigged up handles made the sexy asses of my boards look all sloppy!

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »
I have a question. If I have a 10' leash, and I tombstone (ie., go straight down feet first) and I am 6' tall, that should put my leash 7+ feet down. That makes the range of my board danger quite a bit less. (like 10' versus 20' as I have a sub-9' board). What are the ramifactionas of this?  It should cause less stress on my leash, as it won't be whipping out to the end. Can I get hurt by this action? Obviously, I still need to be hyper aware of the surfers around me...and make sure my leash is not bunched up.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2018, 01:15:10 PM »
I have a question. If I have a 10' leash, and I tombstone (ie., go straight down feet first) and I am 6' tall, that should put my leash 7+ feet down. That makes the range of my board danger quite a bit less. (like 10' versus 20' as I have a sub-9' board). What are the ramifactionas of this?  It should cause less stress on my leash, as it won't be whipping out to the end. Can I get hurt by this action? Obviously, I still need to be hyper aware of the surfers around me...and make sure my leash is not bunched up.

Watch your nuts

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2018, 01:54:26 PM »
petty language comment: "tombstone" as used by surfers refers to the look of a surfer's board standing straight up in the whitewater, tensioned by the leash to do so, so it looks like a tombstone--involves a bit of fatalist humor, given the potential that the surfer be dead held down under---it's really only used in connection with huge waves, with deep water

kick your board away from you, if youre going to fall, and consider a waistleash

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2018, 02:05:59 PM »
Eastbound beat me to it and defined tombstoning perfectly.

10 feet is pretty long for a leash unless you're in double overhead conditions. I have a 10' leash on my 12'6 but my other boards both have 8' leashes. With an 8' leash, I can easily get the board back to me with just a kick of my leg.

I'm not sure I understand what you are describing. How are you going to prevent the board from "whipping out to the end"?

Overly long leashes can be trouble even in small surf. There is just more loose leash available to get tangled up in. If you get your arm, leg or head inside a loop when it gets pulled tight, you could be in for some serious injury. I got my thumb caught in a loop a few years ago and it hasn't worked right since.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 02:15:03 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2018, 02:31:44 PM »

10 feet is pretty long for a leash unless you're in double overhead conditions. I have a 10' leash on my 12'6 but my other boards both have 8' leashes. With an 8' leash, I can easily get the board back to me with just a kick of my leg.

I'm not sure I understand what you are describing. How are you going to prevent the board from "whipping out to the end"?

Overly long leashes can be trouble even in small surf. There is just more loose leash available to get tangled up in. If you get your arm, leg or head inside a loop when it gets pulled tight, you could be in for some serious injury. I got my thumb caught in a loop a few years ago and it hasn't worked right since.

Hi Badger

I alway thought a leash should be about the length of your board? It sounds like it should  be shorter?

Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2018, 02:43:24 PM »
We had some big outside sneaker sets this morning. The frames kept shifting all over. Hard to be in the right spot. It would start working inside and just when I thought I had found the spot, an outside bomb set would come in. Tail handle through about 5 waves right on the head. Then prone paddle outside to catch my breath. Realize I'm too far out, and it starts all over again.
I thought there was enough size to ride my shorter 9' board, but with no glide I had to sit inside. Just about everyone outside of me was on these high volume 10' + gliders. Needless to say, they always had position. So I grabbed my 10' icon and proceeded to catch a ton of waves. I still have water in my ears and sand on my feet ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2018, 03:47:41 PM »

Hi Badger

I alway thought a leash should be about the length of your board? It sounds like it should  be shorter?

Bob

It should only be the length of your board if you are planning to hang ten.

8 feet seems about perfect to me. Except on really long boards like my 12'6 which need a little more length to keep them from landing on you when they occasionally pop up.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 03:54:46 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2018, 08:25:58 AM »

Oh, I was recommended to have the 10' leash with the sub 9' board. I always feel that it is too long, but I am still on my first surfable board, so I am learning as I go.

Somebody else (I think supboardermag.com) called it a "tombstone", and the way you describe it makes perfect sense. I visualized it exactly that way. As the wave approaches and breaks in front of me, I jump off next to the board and go straight down feet first, and let the wave go over my head. This puts my head safely below the surface, and my feet and the leash 7 feet down. The board "tombstones". This keeps it from "whipping" at the 20 foot radius of injury at the end of my outstretched leg. Instead it stays pretty much above me.

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2018, 09:10:33 AM »

As the wave approaches and breaks in front of me, I jump off next to the board and go straight down feet first, and let the wave go over my head. This puts my head safely below the surface, and my feet and the leash 7 feet down. The board "tombstones". This keeps it from "whipping" at the 20 foot radius of injury at the end of my outstretched leg. Instead it stays pretty much above me.
I'm not a fan of feet or head first. I think you may be giving up on making it over the seemingly breaking wave. I'll paddle right through the face of a breaking wave. If I don't make it, I'll still dive over the wave and land in a more laid out flat position. If a big (as in overhead) wave has just broke in front of me, then I'll dive (but a flat dive) into the white water as I kick my board to the side. If it's broke a maybe 30 feet in front of me and I feel I can't even attempt to paddle over the white water, then I'll dive forward under the white water and kick my board to the side.
It's reef where I surf, so pounding my feet on the reef is never good. Diving down head first is super risky. I always assume I'm falling or jumping into shallow water with a reef bottom, so my cat instinct kicks in. Sprawl like a starfish.

BTW, I use a 9' leash with my 10' board. I don't nose ride it, and my left foot is usually the forward foot. So my leash is back further on my right ancle.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
what TD said--paddling "over" includes a "jumpover" if i cant make it on my feet--"jumpover"  places you a bit further along in a tough paddleout than where you end up if you go deep

the jump or dive deep is if there's a big hit coming that cant be paddled over or jumped over

tip: if you dive, hold paddle handle ahead of your head--this way the paddle will hit the unseen coral head or rock so youve time to pull away and try to protect head/body

sometimes i am shocked at how shallow it is--much better to feel the bottom with paddle handle than with head

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2018, 12:08:51 PM »
I carry a 8' and a 10' leash for my 10'4 Foote.

I always try and go over if its a foamball. If it's bigger and just breaking I try and punch through and take the lip on my thighs (unfortunately sometimes nuts.... :o). If I know i'm not going to make it and have time I'll drop into the water, spin the board and grab the handle, no time I kick the board over and fall flat.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2018, 01:41:15 PM »
I've found, the trick to getting over the whitewater is to step back into your surf stance just before the wave hits you. I was amazed how much that helped once I started doing it. I don't ride beach breaks very often so I don't get much practice.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:53:20 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal