Author Topic: revisiting the reverse duck dive  (Read 29138 times)

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
revisiting the reverse duck dive
« on: October 08, 2018, 08:23:57 AM »
I am a relatively new sup surfer (1 year) but have really enjoyed and learned a lot from the standup zone. And my latest discovery is the reverse duck dive / tail handle combo.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,25430.0.html

Turning the board around has made life oh so much easier in the whitewater.  I have a tail pad that has a nice ridge that allows me some grip, although I think that I really need a handle. I cannot fit an second modified stomp pad on my board. And I was wondering if anybody is still using / modifying these tail pads, or more specifically:

1. Using the paddle to press down on the back of the sup still a method that people are using?
2. surfafrica /  style still working?  https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25430.0;attach=63936;image
3. Beasho style still working?  https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25430.0;attach=60322;image
4. Any input on the Surfco EZ Plug Handle Kit? I was going to use this first, as I only surf in 1-4 foot range waves here on the rockaways, and I saw that several zoners were using these.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: revisiting the reverse duck dive
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 08:35:27 AM »
Not sure what you mean by reverse duck dive.

I've been using NSI handles as tail handles on all my boards for over five years now and still think they're the best.

https://northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=251

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,25430.msg363513.html#msg363513

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:42:26 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 08:47:39 AM »
Thanks Badger. The NSI handle/90degrees install was also something I was considering as well. Unfortunately I don't think that handle will fit on the back of my board. It was surfafrica that mentioned the "reverse duck dive", and made the process easier to remember. I'm sure it is what you do with your handle. When faced with the white water, one reverses the board so that it faces the beach and pushes down the tail and holds on to a handle/stomp pad. I love how it keeps you above the white water, and is a lot less difficult than throwing the board up and over a wave and then suffering through the whitewater hit on the other side.

I hop off, quickly turn my back to the wave with my board facing the beach, and will reverse duck dive using my tail pad kick as a tail handle (when my boards were bigger, I installed a tail handle).  With the smaller/lighter boards, spinning them back around after the reverse duck dive is much more doable.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:52:09 AM by supsean »
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 08:51:18 AM »
Okay we can call it that, although I never actually submerge when doing it.   :)

If you scroll down from my post, it shows how I cut the pads to fit the tail of my Stun Gun which had little room. They still had plenty of adhesion and never came off.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:08:21 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 09:13:39 AM »
aah I remember seeing that now, but then PonoBill said that "that was a really bad idea", but I think it was actually about the next post which was about grabbing the leash...
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 10:05:14 AM »
aah I remember seeing that now, but then PonoBill said that "that was a really bad idea", but I think it was actually about the next post which was about grabbing the leash...

I had a religious conversion after my "strap handle" nearly degloved three of the fingers on my right hand. They still look goofy to this day. Sam Pa'e's tail handle was the answer and the reverse duck dive (though I've never called it that before) has saved my ass and my leash a few thousand times since then. It makes me positively giddy to have a double overhead wave fall on my head with minimal negative effect. The only caveat is to make sure you can't get your hand stuck. Sometimes the board will rip away from you in the washing machine, but most of the energy will already be past, and it will hardly hit the end of the leash.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:07:34 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 12:03:27 PM »

Yeah, Bill was talking about the other post, not mine.  The NSI handle is only dangerous if you grab it with your whole hand. All that's required to hold on is the four finger tips. The only time I lose my grip is during extreme situations where you don't want to be holding on to it anyway. It's a very comfortable handle.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:16:26 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 01:07:58 PM »
Ouch that screen grab is the best example yet of why not to grab the handle too hard. Thanks, I needed that! The one problem with being the only SUP boarder at the Rockaways, NY, is that I get my lessons from short boarders, and they tend to be rather curt and a bit succinct in their statements. (ie., "control your board kook")
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 03:27:42 PM »
Shortboarders respect board control.   8)
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 04:33:49 PM »
Funny...I had a couple of close calls Sunday at Nantasket...very crowded. After one (he ate it on a closeout just outside of me and I was able to swing my board wide just missing him)  the shortboarder said of my tail handle...I wish everyone on a SUP had one of those.

Reverse duck dive is actually not a bad name for it...you don't dive but you do duck...or at least I do. Tail handles are game changers and I have the best one there is....:)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 04:36:49 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »
Yeah, a tail handle thread!

Love mine and feel lost on a board without one.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 11:16:34 PM »
Ouch that screen grab is the best example yet of why not to grab the handle too hard. Thanks, I needed that! The one problem with being the only SUP boarder at the Rockaways, NY, is that I get my lessons from short boarders, and they tend to be rather curt and a bit succinct in their statements. (ie., "control your board kook")

That wasn't a handle that did that to my fingers, it was a short strap I had on my board on a second leash plug. I thought it was a good alternative to handles and posted my thoughts on a thread Sam Pa'e had started about handles. Sam and I exchanged some heated words until I discovered what he was so pissed about--not safe, almost lost three fingers. I had to beg forgiveness for my ignorance and I've had Sam Pa'e-style handles on my boards ever since. Good thing, Sam is a great source of knowledge about anything to do with water or boards. His videos saved me a bunch of frustration in learning to foil.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 12:06:26 AM »
someone want to elaborate on the actual technique here, not the installation of the handle? 
How big might this work in ? do you sink the tail ?do you flip the board first ?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 03:43:49 AM »
someone want to elaborate on the actual technique here, not the installation of the handle? 
How big might this work in ? do you sink the tail ?do you flip the board first ?
Yes, I’ve read the descriptions several times but I’m still unclear about what exactly you are doing. What *exactly* are the relative positions of the wave, the board, your body, the shore, and your paddle? What position is your body in, and what do you do with it as the white water hits you? I guess a video would make it all much clearer.

Thanks for your advice.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 04:43:22 AM »
Simple.

You point the board toward shore, grab the handle and just before the wave hits, you push down on the tail. The nose will point up and the wave will pass by. Hold the handle with one hand and the paddle with the other hand, one hand atop the other. After the waves passes, you have the board right in your hand, always in control, not floating around loose, allowing you to quickly hop on and paddle away.

One thing to remember is to always keep your arms bent and never hold on to the handle so much that you can't let go if you need to. I've used this technique in surf close to double overhead for many years without any problems. It's only meant to be used with whitewater waves. You don't want to be anywhere near the board in a wave that is in the process of breaking.

In small waves, if your board has a kick pad, you don't really even need a handle. Just rest your paddle across the kick pad when you push down. That should be enough for you to hold on to the board in most cases. Bigger waves will definitely need a handle.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:14:59 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal