Author Topic: How Many Do You Have?  (Read 7363 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
How Many Do You Have?
« on: October 08, 2018, 07:08:33 AM »
I was watching one of my daughters gymnastics events years ago when I heard two guys in the audience next to me talking about surfing.  They were going on about spots and boards and then one of them said “You can tell how good a guy is by how many surfboards he has.”  Then the first guy says ‘Yeah how many do you have?’  Two was the response.  Second guy says “I have Three.”   At this point I chimed in and asked what they were talking about.  They regaled the story and then asked me “How many do you have?”

My response: “I don’t know.”  They looked at eachother sideways.

Yesterday I decided to do an inventory check on my wetsuits.  I still don’t know how many I have  :o

PS: I think I have the same number of boards as wetsuits. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:11:16 AM by Beasho »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Do You Have?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 07:25:09 AM »
Nah, I think that just makes us pack rats...I still have a wetsuit from the early 90's that hasn't been used since, well, the early 90's...  ;D

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 08:01:36 AM »
That's a whole lotta rubber. Here in NJ you need a full compliment of different thicknesses to keep on keeping on. I have about half that by estimate. Recently unload a few at a yard sale. "All Wetsuits $5ea"!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 08:27:24 AM »
I get through the entire year with five suits.
I rarely surf without neoprene. I didn't trunk it once this year, but I never surf mid day when it's hot. Too many people. Dawn and dusk patrols in the summer.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »
I do most of my surfing in Maui and even when the water temp is 50 and the air isn't much warmer, wearing rubber on a downwinder makes my head feel like the blood is boiling. But I still have a giant wad of wetsuits and drysuits. The stuff just accretes, like a coral reef.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 12:42:58 PM »
The number of wet/dry suits I have is "zero" (0) .
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 01:03:06 PM »
The number of wet/dry suits I have is "zero" (0) .

Show off! ;D

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 01:38:52 PM »
most ppl I know have about 3 to 5 suits though back in the day I use to have just one suit for the whole season ;D

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 01:47:57 PM »
For me, wetsuits are like spare tires. The rubber doesn't get used it just gets old. My 3-2 fullsuit gets worn maybe 3 to 4 times a year. I'm like Pono, I hate being hot. I usually wear an impact vest under a rashguard, and that gets me through our high 60's to low 70 deg winter water temps. If I prone surf in winter (which is rare) I'll wear my 3-2 fullsuit. It's actually not warm enough if the water hits the mid to lower 60's. I just can't justify spending money on rubber I'll hardly ever use. I used to wear my spring suit all the time, but now I prefer the vest and rashguard only.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 02:25:56 PM »
My winter suit is a 6/5. That keeps me comfortable between 25 and 40 degrees air temps. I know, I'm a wuss. A lot of the guys I surf with only need a 5/4 for those temps.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 02:40:53 PM »
I was watching one of my daughters gymnastics events years ago when I heard two guys in the audience next to me talking about surfing.  They were going on about spots and boards and then one of them said “You can tell how good a guy is by how many surfboards he has.”  Then the first guy says ‘Yeah how many do you have?’  Two was the response.  Second guy says “I have Three.”   At this point I chimed in and asked what they were talking about.  They regaled the story and then asked me “How many do you have?”

My response: “I don’t know.”  They looked at eachother sideways.

Yesterday I decided to do an inventory check on my wetsuits.  I still don’t know how many I have  :o

PS: I think I have the same number of boards as wetsuits.

Thanks Beasho!

Have started negotiations with my wife about a foil board........I am in it for the long haul. Your photo of the wetsuits will be part of my negotiation strategy as I only have only four wetsuits (and two drysuits for kayaking), four Standup boards and one surfboard. I plan on keeping the foil board at our cabin in the interior and learn behind a little inflatable zodiac with a 10 hp motor. Guess who the driver needs to be?........ yes my wife! The ice won’t be off the lake until April so lots of time. Perhaps Not long enoughfor my wife to warm to the idea.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 03:43:46 PM »
most ppl I know have about 3 to 5 suits though back in the day I use to have just one suit for the whole season ;D

My daughter looked at the wetsuits and said "Dad your not going to throw any of those away are you?  They all look good to me!"   ???

As I scan through them there are 2 hooded suits which I haven't bought since I started SUP'ing 9 years ago.  1 was, still is, brand new that I purchased with Christmas gift credit.  3 junior suits that I keep around for my kids and guests and one for my wife that we had custom made in the Gorge 19 years ago.  However I have a couple more in the attic and have retired some older suits to the East Coast. 

I typically wait to buy SUPREME or Hyperflex wetsuits on Amazon when they hit $100 to $150.  I too have found that I can get through the Winter in Northern California with a 3/2 when I layer with a 1.5 mm undershirt and float vest with a hood.  This way I keep the suits cheap(er) and the undergarments last for years. 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 04:15:11 PM »
Hahaha...I can't remember the last time I wore a full wetsuit (5 years?)...that's the nice this about surf SUPing SoCal. On occasion I'll wear a vest or sleeves, and that's if it's really "cold" out there (60isho?). :o :)

Earlier this year I wore a spring suit for a false sense of security from impacts when learning to foil. Once I got to a point where I felt that I had enough experience/expertise that I knew what the board was doing or going to do that I could bail off in advance of any "board meeting" out there, the uncomfortable spring suit stayed in the van.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 04:23:12 PM »
I keep 3 wetsuits...2/3, 2/3/4, and a 5/6. Couple those with a hooded vest and I'm good for anything. I'm usually in rubber by mid October...early this year a couple days. Sweat my ass of the other day in a 3/2...should have gone boardshorts. I'm not replacing the 5/6...I've found the 4/3 with the hooded vest is enough and the thick 5/6 feels like a straightjacket.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »
One hooded wetsuit, 7/5 flex, used for SCUBA and cold water activities including surfing Lake Superior in the winter.
Special booties and gloves for subfreezing temps but still working on an ultimate cure for 'cold feet' in ice and snow...
One 3mm fullsuit on permanent loan from a dive buddy for summer use.
Two homemade surfboards and one homemade SUP and paddle.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal