Author Topic: Leslie Gift  (Read 3628 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Leslie Gift
« on: October 07, 2018, 08:12:23 PM »
Hard to believe that Hurricane Leslie is still producing swell for us here in NJ. I read on Surfline it's one of the longest living hurricanes now. winds were not so great today so me and a coupla buddies paddled across one of our inlets and scored nice surf empty. It's a pretty quick paddle across avg-ing about 10 mins. But we missed the keyhole landing and fighting the outgoing current was impossible. So we had to paddle to the jetty and foot it about 20-30 yrds to the hole. Strong tides w/the new moon phase approaching. Healthy dose of local summer and tropical energy.
I scored a sweet Xterra wetpack and put it to good use. Packed the SOLOSHOT into it and brought it over. The pack was pretty heavy compared to a regular size one and I fell a coupla times during the crossing not being used to the thing while paddling.
I hope you other easties are scoring.
Island_Beach_State_Park_10-7-18
https://flic.kr/s/aHskKc7zhm

Wet gear by surfercook, on Flickr

IB_Wedge by surfercook, on Flickr

IBSP_Giveaway by surfercook, on Flickr

trop-energy3 by surfercook, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 08:40:19 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leslie Gift
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
Looks like messy fun...and hard work.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 02:41:52 AM »
@ surfercook

The last picture shown in your post is what we are about to expect from tropical storm "Michael" which is going to enter the Gulf of Mexico in a few days. Big messy waves for us on the upper Texas coast.

It should be a Cat 1or 2 hurricane when it makes landfall around the Alabama/Florida state line which is the projected path of this storm right now.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 04:55:15 AM »
@ surfercook

The last picture shown in your post is what we are about to expect from tropical storm "Michael" which is going to enter the Gulf of Mexico in a few days. Big messy waves for us on the upper Texas coast.

It should be a Cat 1or 2 hurricane when it makes landfall around the Alabama/Florida state line which is the projected path of this storm right now.

The forecast for Bolivar Peninsula shows light to moderate offshore winds for Wednesday. It might actually be fairly clean all day.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 12:37:29 PM »
@ surfercook

The forecast for Bolivar Peninsula shows light to moderate offshore winds for Wednesday. It might actually be fairly clean all day.

It is Monday afternoon, Oct 8th. Take a look at what the waves at Surfside look like right now.

http://saltwater-recon.com/surfside-cam/

It just depends on where Michael makes landfall on the Gulf Coast.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »
I couldn't watch that particular cam. I don't have adobe flash.

Surfside weather says ESE winds @ 10 to 20 so I imagine the surface is pretty choppy today.

Wednesday is still looking good with Light wind from the NNW. If the forecast holds, I'll be checking the cams Wednesday to see what clean hurricane swells look like in Texas.

Right now it looks like Michael will make landfall near Panama City Wednesday afternoon. Once it crosses over and back into the Atlantic, it might still have enough power to send us some swell here in NH on Friday and Saturday.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 03:21:46 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 08:06:09 AM »
Curious what you guys are getting down there now. I went to check the Texas webcams on surfLine but not sure which counties to look at.
Brazoria County
Cameron County
Galveston County
Matagorda County
McLennan County
Nueces County

Looks like messy fun...and hard work.
It was indeed both of those. But there were some very challenging waves that made the entire day extra special. october in NJ is my favorite month because of the warm temps, frequent storms, and smaller crowds.

Some quality coverage from Surfline. W/a nod to Hurricane Michael slamming the FL panhandle.

https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/hurricane-leslie-wasnt-perfect/36100
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:12:40 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 09:13:38 AM »
Michael was pretty good to us on the Florida Gulf coast yesterday. Hope everyone makes out OK in the panhandle this afternoon, storm looks legit.

I went out early yesterday, swell was still building but when I went early it was perfect for my noob skill level. I'm guessing chest high clean waves, off shore wind, dead calm between the swells. Was glorious and my first time riding over calf high, fared well, just me and a long boarder out early, won't forget that for a long time.

By the afternoon it was a parking lot on almost every break here and the swell was still building, much more power and size in the afternoon but getting messy. Really beyond my skill level with my 11 footer.

Haven't looked today but I'm sure it's messy. Outer rain bands swinging over occasionally.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:34:10 AM by Scallop »
Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 03:00:30 PM »
Curious what you guys are getting down there now. I went to check the Texas webcams on surfLine but not sure which counties to look at.
Brazoria County
Cameron County
Galveston County
Matagorda County
McLennan County
Nueces County

Here are some of my favorite streaming webcams. We had a cold front which was pulled down from Michael. So we have a north wind which is flattening the Gulf.

Some of these webcams require Flash so be aware of that. And some cameras you can control for a limited amount of time.

https://www.bolivarpeninsulatexas.com/Webcams/Sunrise-Beach

https://www.bolivarpeninsulatexas.com/Webcams/Bluewater-Beach

https://www.bolivarpeninsulatexas.com/Webcams/Crystal-Beach-Surf

https://www.galveston.com/surfvideocam/

https://www.galveston.com/babes-beach-video-cam/

http://saltwater-recon.com/east-beach/

http://saltwater-recon.com/stewart-beach-cam/

http://saltwater-recon.com/stewart-beach-cam/

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 05:35:44 PM »
@scallop- Nice score. I would love to surf some quality Gulf waves.

@NightWing- That's a whole lotta cam action. I checked Bolivar and it was dark already but you could still make out the small surf. Too bad it didn't come togeth 4u.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 05:51:26 PM »
@NightWing- That's a whole lotta cam action. I checked Bolivar and it was dark already but you could still make out the small surf. Too bad it didn't come togeth 4u.

Check the cams tomorrow when its daytime.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 09:17:15 AM »
Checked a coupla ur cams, NW. Looks nice down there today even if there isn't any surf. We are currently saying goodbye to our coveted local summer today.
Looks like FL got some decent Gulf Coast swell from Hurricane Michael. Too bad it was such a destructive storm.  :(

Florida's gulf coast during Hurricane Michael

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 01:32:48 PM »
Leslie Fun here in South Carolina
8-2 Wide Point