Author Topic: Shoulder issues/Paddle Craft Type  (Read 6188 times)

manta

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shoulder issues/Paddle Craft Type
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 06:02:18 AM »
I've had a few shoulder surgeries due to contact sport (MMA, moto X etc.)

I started to SUP and within a relatively short space of a couple of years I started with shoulder issues. I wanted to be on the water so I looked into other water sports that I could still do while my shoulder healed up.

I started surfski paddling and in 3 months all my shoulder issues were gone. The main reason for this was I learned proper technique and found that controlling my technique was easier on a ski than on a SUP. I have gone back to SUP but if I SUP a lot or intensely the shoulder issues seem to return. I can Ski as much as I want with no issues.

That is my personal story and what it has boiled down for me personally is the technique being employed. You can paddle a ski with low elbows and good powerful technique whereas a SUP a low elbow technique is difficult to employ.

Perhaps it is injury dependent. Paddling a ski has kept me on the water and my shoulders are actually better than they have been in years.

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 08:24:55 AM »
Homilies, motherhood and apple pie:

Sooo many folks I know have had shoulder repair.

Allowing for recovery between stressful sessions makes me stronger and prevents wear and tear.  This means no more than 3 hard days a week, preferably not three days in a row.  Building up from scratch adding only about 10 percent load per week or less.  Be kind to yourself early in the season.  If muscles are cold, gradual warmup is critical, even for youth. 

Cross train in another sport on alternate days.  Switch sports for three months each year.

Shoulder muscle balance makes a big difference.  So, after windsurfing and paddling which work the pulling muscles and back, it helps to do some chest development with various presses.  Also some rotator PT.

Technique, esp. trying to avoid those frantic, all-out arm and shoulder thrashings that one commonly sees.  With the right form, one gets better results and more control.  Similar to swimming, where form is all.

Impingement syndrome of the shoulder:  caused by----arm rotated inward with raised elbow and arm high and to the side.  To be a survivor, back off, when sore, else it may end your season.

Surfing, watch the adept who can position well enough to minimize exertion.

Esteroali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 10:17:37 AM »
The problem is learning how to participate in life instead of competing through life.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 10:42:15 AM »
I get what you mean. I don't race....but I compete against myself all the time  ;D
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 02:47:00 PM »
The problem is learning how to participate in life instead of competing through life.

:)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 05:17:10 PM »

I haven't learned that. I doubt I ever really will.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 07:06:07 PM »
I concur with the guy who wrote that the surfski was good for his shoulder.  Symmetrical stroke is so much easier on the body than SUP.   As I move on in age that is the criteria.

If you have shoulder issues, I strongly recommend prolo therapy.  For an acute (recent) injury, the protocol is a dextrose solution.  For chronic (old) injuries PRP (platelet rich plasma) which is done by putting your blood in a centrifuge and spinning out the platelets. 

The guy that just did it for me has a $60k ultra sound machine so you can see the tear and he can inject directly into tear with pinpoint accuracy.  It's pretty damn cool and it has worked for even a guy my age.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal