Author Topic: any advice for northern NJ  (Read 14774 times)

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
any advice for northern NJ
« on: October 06, 2018, 05:59:26 PM »
Hi all, I usually surf in the Rockaways and I am looking to expand to northern NJ. I am looking for a good place where SUP surfers go. I am an intermediate, and am not interested in surfing a line-up with local surfers, and just want a place where I can surf a decent break, and maybe nod to a SUP surfer or two.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 06:02:34 PM by supsean »
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: any advice for northern NJ
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 05:07:58 AM »
Hi Sean,

I think the lack of replies is a reflection of how few sup surfers there are in north nj.
I live in Long Branch and sup surf Long Branch, Deal and Asbury Park.  I rarely see other sup surfers.  There is a small 3-4 crew that always seem to surf together at Seven Presidents Park in north LB.  They are a friendly group so if you want to check it its fairly spread out spot.

Good luck, Ken
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 07:44:53 AM »
THANKS LBsup. I am often the lone SUP surfer here in Rockaways, so I didn't expect a huge population, but I am surprised how few there are. Long Beach seems to have quite a few SUP surfers, and I was hoping for the same. Either way, thanks for the response. I didn't make it down there this weekend, although it looked pretty good from the camera perspective. I hacked it out on Rockaways, even though it was bumpy in the AM.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 10:32:07 AM »
Its not that there are a few SUP  surfers its exactly WHERE does YOUR interpretation of North Jersey End?

happy to give suggestions but I'm mainly a SNJ guy So I only know a little bit

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 07:29:12 AM »
Hi Jim,

I don't really know NJ shore at all, so I don't really know where north ends. I was just looking at what was closest to Brooklyn, and figured I'd go there!

–sean

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 08:38:27 AM »
Sean, I would head east. The Long Island beaches are closer (Brooklyn is on LI), and there are a few SUP scenes. Check out the Peconic Puffin website. Alex can give you info. He's more of a windsurfer, but he has the low-down on the LI scene.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 10:59:17 AM »
Hey Sean, forty plus years ago I lived the summer’s in Atlantic Beach and would surf around Beach 30th street in Rockaway.

The west winds on LI frequently accompany and ruin a good swell. A quick road trip to north jersey is the ticket to score clean waves. From Brooklyn just cut across Staten Island and cut back immediately to the beach via parkway and signs to Sandy Hook recreation area. Miles of peaks, easy to avoid the crowds.

Probably even just for a change with any light wind conditions it’s closer than east LI.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 05:28:14 AM »
I've been reluctant to divulge spots here on a public forum. You know, "Don't ask, don't tell" kinda thing.  But if you're willing to drive a bit further than Sandy Hook you're more than welcome to join me here at my break where I've been sufing my whole life. PM when there's swell and you're gassed up. 8)
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 08:30:01 AM »
I've been reluctant to divulge spots here on a public forum. You know, "Don't ask, don't tell" kinda thing.  But if you're willing to drive a bit further than Sandy Hook you're more than welcome to join me here at my break where I've been sufing my whole life. PM when there's swell and you're gassed up. 8)

Thanks. I wasn't looking for a secret spot. Just a place that I could surf without too much attitude or crowded. But that also isn't too remote, as I go alone.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 05:24:23 AM »
beauty of brooklyn:

when swells roll in, it's ny when wind's got north in it, nj when it's got west...............

as to which spots?  surf any of them

and, really, the best way to avoid sup controversy is to not show up at a lineup with a group of sups--alone, behaving right, youll do fine, in general--not fine? that's your call--i try my best to move on--no need to get my face broken up at my fair age..............

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 07:10:23 AM »
Thanks for the perspective eastbound. I never thought of it as the beauty of brooklyn.. I like that! 40 minutes to rockaways is long for a quick surf, but I can also go a little over an hour and be in NJ. I haven't gone yet, though I am thinking of going Saturday depending on both wind and when I get back to Bkln. Maybe I'll hit up the surfercook to see if he is going out!

I generally am very mellow when I approach a surf lineup, and am always alone, as Rockaways have rare Sup sightings. Seems like Long Beach is better...

In Gloucester, MA where I have family, it is a really nice mix of people that go out, and people are much more board agnostic. Not that I get too much attitude in queens...
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 07:38:23 AM »
go to b 149, east end of riis park, if youre concerned with drive time--27 mins from park slope--great spot when it fires, which it does, if chest high at b90, 72 67, etc---and i often surf completely alone there, vs the ridiculous crowds at 90 etc
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 11:03:48 AM »
I don't love surfing alone, so even though the crowds are a problem, I don't like being the only person in a spot. But it is tempting.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »
not sure why there can be 100 people on the peak at b90, and at b149 there might be 3 people in the water

a guy at the patagonia store on the bowery told me of a "heavy local scene" there--i had to laugh--i said, since i am often the only guy i see in the water there, i must be a heavy local--on a sup! 

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 08:48:52 AM »
 :) :)

I'll have to help "heavy" it up. I'm 190, maybe 210 with my winter wetsuit...

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal