Author Topic: Surfers Ear surgery - Chisel method  (Read 5760 times)

surfk9

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfers Ear surgery - Chisel method
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »
Zooport, maybe that could happen, but "The Man", Dr. Hertzel had no problem doing both ears, other than it took longer due to the amount of growth I had developed after about 28 years of Norcal surfing, without a hood or earplugs.  My only hearing loss, the first week, was due to the packing in my ears with the antibiotic ointment, after the packing was out, hearing was back to normal.  Actually, normal is not true as the previous years my hearing had deteriorated due to the blockage, one week after surgery it was better than before an showed some more improvement after full healing.  Other than the usual "dangers" in this type of surgery I don't know why there would be a difference between one or two being done.  In my case I have a large empty area between the ears which provided some cushion for success.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 05:08:14 PM »

I had the "Drill method" done on my right ear about 25 years ago.  I would DEFINETLY opted for the chisel method by a seasoned Doctor nowadays.  I was under for 8 hours and the Doctor told me he had to drill into my jaw bone to complete the procedure.  I was probably a difficult case but my right ear protrudes slightly outwards due to the surgery.  I have pressure and crackling sounds in my right ear when I lower my jaw, like when you chew gum.  This pressure I have had in my right ear since the operation.  I have to clear the pressure in my ears by closing my nostrils and blowing the pressure in my ears to equalize many times a day.  I've become accustom to clearing my ears through the years and hardly think about it.  I always, wear a surfing cap (that cover the ears also) while sup surfing and the growth has not come back.  No ear problems while surfing so the the procedure worked for me.

The worst part is airplane flying and any major elevation changes.  It's painful and I'm usually nauseous and feel overall sick for a few days after arriving and returning home.  I can't say that the ear surgery caused this elevation ear pain and nauseous, dizzy feeling but I never had these issues before the ear surgery. Good luck

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 05:30:43 PM »

I had the "Drill method" done on my right ear about 25 years ago.  I would DEFINETLY opted for the chisel method by a seasoned Doctor nowadays.  I was under for 8 hours and the Doctor told me he had to drill into my jaw bone to complete the procedure.  I was probably a difficult case but my right ear protrudes slightly outwards due to the surgery.  I have pressure and crackling sounds in my right ear when I lower my jaw, like when you chew gum.  This pressure I have had in my right ear since the operation.  I have to clear the pressure in my ears by closing my nostrils and blowing the pressure in my ears to equalize many times a day.  I've become accustom to clearing my ears through the years and hardly think about it.  I always, wear a surfing cap (that cover the ears also) while sup surfing and the growth has not come back.  No ear problems while surfing so the the procedure worked for me.

The worst part is airplane flying and any major elevation changes.  It's painful and I'm usually nauseous and feel overall sick for a few days after arriving and returning home.  I can't say that the ear surgery caused this elevation ear pain and nauseous, dizzy feeling but I never had these issues before the ear surgery. Good luck
Wow that sounds brutal.  The techniques have come a long way since then from what I’ve read.  Thanks.  This Tuesday I’m going for the first procedure so I’ll report back my experience.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 06:40:28 AM »
Hi all,  I want to post an update.  So I had surgery on the left ear on 10/9, right ear 10/19.  Yesterday my ear surgeon gave me the green light to get back in the water.  I’m very happy I made the choice to get this done and would highly recommend the surgeon.

Ken
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal