Author Topic: The Irony of Sup  (Read 5701 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Irony of Sup
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 12:48:58 PM »
SurfinJ, yes the rider has right of way, generally.

Subber, you are right, but we are not talking about a court of law here.  No, we are discussing something far more important, surfing rules of etiquette.

No question, the SUP rider executed a beautiful boomerang, but it is apparent that he did not see Marc until he was riding.

Marc does sit up right when he sees that the guy is is dropping in.  If he didn't, he probably would have taken a hit to the body or leg.

Most NJ breaks are classic beach breaks and while there are choice take off spots, when it's crowded, surfers take off for just about anywhere.  Aside from the occasional rip or adjacent to a jetty, there generally are no channels to paddle out to avoid incoming riders.

Even with the video, it's to close to have a strong opinion either way.  The important thing is that the two surfers worked it out amicably, I say kudos to both.

And kudos to Rick for having the balls to bring up such a sensetive but super important issue.

I always get a chuckle form this cartoon where Barneys is dropping in on Fred-  Don't be a Barney!
Oh... I like being a Barney to dickheads ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 01:00:32 PM »
Yea, paddle in on the left side of the peak and yell, going right!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 01:31:46 PM »
I don't think the guy knew cookie was there when he took off....simple bad timing. It looked pretty spread out to me...any paddle out is going to be near someone. It also looked like he decided late to go and rushed it...nice drop but he had no idea what was below him. I agree that cookie would bear some responsibility to paddle behind the guy but that's only if he knew the guy was going. It actually looked like the other SUP was going 1st so if cookie had tried to paddle behind the guy that hit him he would have been in the way of the 1st guy....damned if you do. He sits up when the guy decides late to go....and then the guy goes right....did the other guy go left?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 05:03:57 PM »
I appreciate all the comments and views on my collision. Admitting I was part to blame is no stretch. Right after I kicked out and started paddling back I didn't see the set coming. It was only after the first little wave I paddled over when I spied it. There was alot of water moving and I could see the Naish guy lining it up. At first I started bolting for the shoulder but there was just not enough time. Hard to say what woulda happened if I'd went for the white water. It happened very fast. Going right at that break is tough, especially for a visiting surfer, even an experience one. I will say that he was a very experienced sup surfer for sure. I have his contact info because he was going to pay for the repair, but I'm lettin' it slide. He can buy me a Wawa coffee.
These are my Google GPS paths of the break from 9/29. The rights there are against the grain and fast. And that right was one of the best I'd ever seen there. It spits a bit as it unloads down the line past our collision. If he'd have forgone a bit of the drop and pulled in high and tight there mighta been a better chance. I've mind surfed it a dzn times now!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »
Nice video, is that on LBI? Grew up there.
It is indeed. Glad you were able to remember this wonderful place. Interesting user name you chose.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 08:22:20 PM »
Today's action. No collisions.
New-Jersey_10-03-18_longboard
https://app.soloshot.com/video/05e3735a-adc8-4b07-81c5-a05a0f292c52

Pierre

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 01:43:01 AM »
Hello,
Beyond etiquette  suggest few tips due to experience.
- I agree on some beach breaks there are no clear channels to paddle out, so it's difficult for someone paddling out to avoid surfer's path... right of way does not prevent surfer to avoid collision. But a (prone) paddler  cannot move so fast! i note too many people (especially beginners) fear about quickly paddling out, which may avoid such situation.
-I personally refrain at all times to let my board go, if there's a closeout, I keep riding foam till I can stop, but always try to remain standing up on the board, if i kickout, i also avoid airborne kickouts (long ago it costed me 6 sitches on head)... may be the habit to ride a longboard leashless ( uncrowded small conditions) helps me a lot... ( I never SUP ride leashless however) . we must consider leash as a safety device, during a good session the leash should never get tight... except in a wipeout.
\HF/- Hi-Fun Hydroworks / custom boards,BZH, since 1982  /  *Link Removed*

Pierre

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 01:43:41 AM »
Hello,
Beyond etiquette  suggest few tips due to experience.
- I agree on some beach breaks there are no clear channels to paddle out, so it's difficult for someone paddling out to avoid surfer's path... right of way does not prevent surfer to avoid collision. But a (prone) paddler  cannot move so fast! i note too many people (especially beginners) fear about quickly paddling out, which may avoid such situation.
-I personally refrain at all times to let my board go, if there's a closeout, I keep riding foam till I can stop, but always try to remain standing up on the board, if i kickout, i also avoid airborne kickouts (long ago it costed me 6 sitches on head)... may be the habit to ride a longboard leashless ( uncrowded small conditions) helps me a lot... ( I never SUP ride leashless however) . we must consider leash as a safety device, during a good session the leash should never get tight... except in a wipeout.
\HF/- Hi-Fun Hydroworks / custom boards,BZH, since 1982  /  *Link Removed*

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 05:15:47 AM »
A big moke splained it to me. Always paddle for the white water,  nevah for the shoulder if someone is on it.
Do that again Haole and I will punch the fins off your board!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2018, 04:15:09 PM »
BTW, I'm assuming your blue colored sup you were sup surfing in this video was your 9'11" @ 145 liters board.
The sup in this vid is my CoreVac 8'0" Assassin. The thing is seriously bullet proof. Quite light also due to the vacuum seal production. The concave in the deck is also a contributing factor to the designs strength to weight ratio. I appreciate your interest in my vids. Sometimes i just can't find the motivation to do em but your comments are good inspiration....and that lake paddle you described sounded nice.

A big moke splained it to me. Always paddle for the white water,  nevah for the shoulder if someone is on it.
Do that again Haole and I will punch the fins off your board!
Violence scares the cr@p outa me.  :o

Battle scars!  Great video Marc!
lol...thanx. The board is working just like her old self again.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:18:10 PM by surfercook »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut