Author Topic: The Irony of Sup  (Read 5659 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
The Irony of Sup
« on: October 02, 2018, 10:20:25 PM »
Wasn't the best start to a day of surfing.
Cross posted in General Discussion.

https://youtu.be/z4gAvbb5Iv0
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: The Irony of Sup
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 03:38:03 AM »
@ surfercook

This was another of your fine videos. And your Soloshot camera is the "cat's meow". I love the way it follows you when your camera is setup on the beach. Your camera makes it seem you're closer to the beach than you are distance wise.

You have some nice waves to sup surf. The slow motion shots always catch my eye. I always seem to catch small details from watching your videos. And the length of your videos is an added bonus for me. I save a lot of your videos as links so I can watch them again if I'm looking for "details".

Glad to see you weren't hurt with your longboard getting fin sliced and it was nice to see it was repaired so quickly too. And watching your videos always gets me in the mood for another paddling session.

With that said, in about 90 minutes from now, I'll be taking a little flat water paddling session down at my subdivision's largest  private lake when the first light of dawn starts to break.

BTW, I'm assuming your blue colored sup you were sup surfing in this video was your 9'11" @ 145 liters board.

In closing, thanks for taking and making lots of videos and posting them here on "The Zone". Newbies to the sport of sup surfing can learn quite a lot from watching your and DavidJohn's videos.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 03:42:06 AM »
Battle scars!  Great video Marc!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 05:23:13 AM »
Another great video surfercook! Good soundtrack as always 8)
in progress...

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 08:40:30 AM »
I always enjoy your vids, music and surfing Marc.
Thanks for all the effort you take to entertain us  :)

I respond only  because you placed blame squarely on the SUPster,
Please remember:
Right of way goes to the person riding the wave. Period.
Never  to the person paddling out.

Naish SUPster's perfect wave would have been a great moment.
if... you had waited inside, for the set to pass.

Crashes happen, we all make mistakes, but we need to understand who has the right of way.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 08:50:15 AM »
Rick, you certainly have the rule right, but doesn't the rider also have the responsibility to look up the line and down the line before committing to avoid dropping in and in this case dropping on others?

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 09:00:38 AM »
Sorry cookie but I'm with Creek on this one.  That guy wasn't too late, he was perfect and you were in the worst spot possible.  I probably would have pulled up (and given you sh*t) if I was him, but that doesn't make him wrong.

And Bean - I wasn't there to say whether the SUP guy was normally in control or if he was really looking, but the fact that he made the drop tells me has some skills and it appears he is looking down the line.  At 0:55 cookie is scratching for the shoulder and at 0:56 he sits up - right when the guy is in the middle of the drop.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:09:05 AM by digger71 »

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 10:24:42 AM »
Hmmm.
If you have the right of way driving a car and you hit someone, you are still at fault.
I'm pretty sure a judge would say the same thing of surfing.

--
The main thing is your body wasn't injured!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:27:02 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 10:31:34 AM »
True but these guys are right. The main activity is the surfing, not the paddle out.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 10:32:23 AM »
SurfinJ, yes the rider has right of way, generally.

Subber, you are right, but we are not talking about a court of law here.  No, we are discussing something far more important, surfing rules of etiquette.

No question, the SUP rider executed a beautiful boomerang, but it is apparent that he did not see Marc until he was riding.

Marc does sit up right when he sees that the guy is is dropping in.  If he didn't, he probably would have taken a hit to the body or leg.

Most NJ breaks are classic beach breaks and while there are choice take off spots, when it's crowded, surfers take off for just about anywhere.  Aside from the occasional rip or adjacent to a jetty, there generally are no channels to paddle out to avoid incoming riders.

Even with the video, it's to close to have a strong opinion either way.  The important thing is that the two surfers worked it out amicably, I say kudos to both.

And kudos to Rick for having the balls to bring up such a sensetive but super important issue.

I always get a chuckle form this cartoon where Barneys is dropping in on Fred-  Don't be a Barney!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:44:08 AM by Bean »

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 10:51:31 AM »
Nice video, is that on LBI? Grew up there.

The dune fences and red/white wooden barriers bring back memories, the surf as well.
Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 10:51:42 AM »
Bean, of course you do anything you can to avoid hitting someone.
Having the right of way does not unburden you from taking all evassive action....
It is merely a common sense rule to assign priority and provide order in the line-up.

Nothing would have happened if Marc had remained inside until the set went by.

Same situation happened to me this week.
I was the SUPster on Monday.... late takeoff on a big set.
I was way outside of every other surfer
No one in my way
Paddler scrambled into my path as I committed.
If I bailed, I’d have hit him
My only option was to stay in control and miss him. Which I did.
But he ruined the best wave I caught this year.

He could have remained inside and took the set on the head.
Instead, he chose to paddle out and ruined the wave.
Its why the “rules” developed.

I may make a video of my encounter to show how fast this stuff happens on a critical drop.... and why the rider must be given priority.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 11:42:22 AM »
I respond only  because you placed blame squarely on the SUPster,
Please remember:
Right of way goes to the person riding the wave. Period.
Never  to the person paddling out.

Naish SUPster's perfect wave would have been a great moment.
if... you had waited inside, for the set to pass.

Crashes happen, we all make mistakes, but we need to understand who has the right of way.
^^^ This... ^^^

Yeah, not sure why "SUPster" was apologetic...other than he was just a nice guy, and didn't want to make "proner" feel any worse about the situation since he sorta already got the message/penalty with having a fin stuck though his board.

Unfortunately, I don't think that guys on longboards or long SUP boards understand that guys on shorter SUPs have to wait longer than either of the other two simply because of the yaw that happens much faster (after a couple, maybe three strokes) than it does when on the longer boards...so it more of a "wait late, turn, and go" move for us...."SUPster" in the video executed it perfectly.

I'm also of the opinion that many surfers (regardless of vessel) don't think enough, or read their surroundings well enough, or soon enough...especially when paddling out. Paddle out with your head up...survey what's out in front of you, and more importantly to your left, and to your right...see who's where, and look at the water outside of them, is there something coming that they might try to catch?....and then read body language.

It was pretty plain to see (at least to me) that at the :50 second mark that "SUPster" was setting himself up to possibly turn for that wave, and it should have been at that time that "proner" read that, and start altering his course...start paddling to "SUBster's" left...from reading his stance, that he's a regular-footer, and will therefore probably be going right given that, and his position to the swell/wave (and knowing where they're breaking at that spot that day) .

Had that happened, that's 4-5 secs. of paddling to a position that would then be taking the whitewater head on (as is also expected as "etiquette"), but more importantly....not directly in the path of the surfer who did everything right, and got blitzed for his efforts by someone not paying attention to what was happening around them soon enough.

I say this with the couple of close calls I've had in mind, and that they were when I was paddling out talking with someone w/o a care in the world, and not paying attention to what was happening well out in front, and outside of me as I should have been...and then I'm making a last ditch effort to get the hell outta the way. Fortunately no collisions from that, but had there been...would have totally been my fault if there were.  :-[

Only thing worse is when you see the "SUP Bomber", who takes off straight down the face, and it's evident that they have no f'n idea where they or their board are going...and with really no understanding/experience in how to alter it's course. Those kinda folks scare the living shit out of me when headed my way when I'm paddling out. Because I know that whichever way I choose to try to GTF away from them...that's the direction the wave's going to take them...cuz I think Mother Nature has a great sense of humor, and just cracks up at seeing those kinds of things happen, and making me scramble for safety.  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:47:45 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 11:49:56 AM »
Rick, I would agree with you if the person paddling out had the option to paddle behind the rider coming down the line.  But in this case I don't see where Marc had that opportunity. 

Waiting out the set certainly makes sense and it's the rule when there are defined sets and surfers are consistently taking-off in a defined line-up, but I don't know if that was the case on this day.

Marc didn't paddle into the other guys line, he was already there.  The rider didn't look down the line before taking off.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 12:46:16 PM »
Rick, I would agree with you if the person paddling out had the option to paddle behind the rider coming down the line.  But in this case I don't see where Marc had that opportunity. 

Marc didn't paddle into the other guys line, he was already there.  The rider didn't look down the line before taking off.
Disagree, there was plenty of time if guy paddling out is looking at what's happening/developing outside of him, long before there anyone is "coming down the line" towards him.

Now had it been proner outside there I might understand more, because they'll do a little sit/tail turn/spin late, and start to paddle into something...but SUPers generally have a more obvious, earlier paddle turn (especially those with shorter boards who have a tendency to paddle parallel to the wave for a bit sort of like the guy in the clip did)...simply because they're not paddling with both hands, and therefore have to somehow offset or account for the built-in one-sided paddling yaw that happens.

So it's not so much about not paddling into someone else's line, as much as it is reading the lines earlier...and paddling out of someone else's path before they're "already there".

Again, JMO....YMMV.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal