Author Topic: Moved to NC, got a hurricane and now mosquitoes almost the size of birds  (Read 3598 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Moved to NC, got a hurricane and now mosquitoes almost the size of birds
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 07:40:55 PM »
Bats have been decimated by a fungal disease. We used to have a lot at our old house. I've had bat houses for years. Numbers are way way down.

Pabst...there is some slight evidence that guano will help attract them...1st you need to make sure the house and location meets the criteria that works best for them. A small difference in location can mean success or failure. Good details here on what works.
http://www.batcon.org/resources/media-education/bats-magazine/bat_article/574
and the current best practice for design.
http://www.batcon.org/resources/media-education/bats-magazine/bat_article/578

Yeah, the WNS (white noise syndrome) fungus is taking a toll. Chemical spraying is making it much worse by reducing the bat's ability to respond to the disease. They are developing immunity, but it's a slow, natural process. If we'd just stop spray chemicals that are banned in every country that pays the least attention to long-term effects we'd have a lot more bats and bees, and dragonflies. Dickheads. I've kind of given up on raising bees until I figure out who is spraying what. If can at least get the dipshits to tell me when they are spraying and when I could confine my hives. The local bee club is trying to work something out, but I'm ready to drive a spike through their tractor blocks. I had a conversation with a pear grower locally that would easily have escalated to two geezers trying to fight each other if his wife wasn't present. I don't want to see a YouTube video of that. He called me a hippy. Really. A fucking hippy. I should buy his orchard and turn it into an organic pot farm. Making friends wherever I go.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal