Author Topic: Fear: Trump in the White House  (Read 35706 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fear: Trump in the White House
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 03:11:25 PM »
So I'm listening to Bob Woodward's "Fear" on audible. I'm about halfway through. And I'm thinking "Why does Trump not like this book?" Yes, he comes across as uninformed and arbitrary--we knew that. Yes, he's clearly a dick. But his concerns, his decisions, the things he's asking and the stuff he's calling bullshit on. I have to say--while I really don't like this guy, despise him even--I'd do the same thing. I'm stunned, horrified, how alike my thought process is to his, and how much he seems like the rational guy in the room. The guy saying "no, wait, before you tell me how many more troops we need in Afghanistan, tell me why the fuck we are there to begin with, why we've stayed for sixteen years spending five to eight billion a year, and how having more people, or any people for that matter, risking their lives there, is going to make this better."

When I was about 14 a new neighbor kid moved next door. We became friends and spent lots of time killing time. He’d grown up in Kabul until he moved next door. Italian, dad was a doctor who had been working developing national heath there. So I got lot’s of beta from him. There was always some conflict going on there so I got the teenagers view on it. Which is usually a bit more real. So I’ve kept an ear open to what’s up in the “’stans”.

Probably because of my childhood friend I kept an ear to Afghan developments. Did you know the Cola Cola incident that sparked off all this shit? Check it out.

Following the soviet’s invasion of Afghanistan the “mujahideen”  were hero’s in the “west”. But factions developed. And weapons, money and power went to people's heads.

[fast forward a few years]
I remember when Commander Massoud came to the nato summit and warned the world. I remember where I was when I heard on the news that Commander Massoud had been killed (9/10) and I vividly remember thinking something was about to happen. It did. The  day after.

This is the poster from an interesting London exhibit about “The road to Kabul”. Check the date.

Check out one of Commander Massoud’s books if you want to know why we are still stuck there.

Or [re]read Conrad's Heart of Darkness.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 03:29:06 PM by yugi »

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 03:48:23 PM »
Okay, I'll be the lone contrarian here, I can take it.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 04:47:28 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kurKyCAhhmQ

Look who showed up after Mitchell was called away...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 05:42:33 PM »
I watched as much of the hearings as I needed to form an opinion, which didn't take long. I don't know this guy, know only a little of his history (the little I know is ugly), but my lying weasel detector was blaring.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 06:59:57 PM »
You have one of those too...... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 07:05:51 PM »
In my high school it was the elitist smug self-centered entitled hockey players doing the women-demeaning sexual crap.  I didn't hear of "trains" but I would believe it if a story came out today. If I had heard of one of these bastards that I knew getting a lifetime appointment I'd have some things to say and yes this is 35 years later.

I watched kavenaugh - he sounded like he felt robbed of his expected reward to me, not like a good person wrongfully accused.

Stoneaxe - when I voted for Palin for governor I had a real feeling of telling the "good ol' boys" to take a hike, that it was a vote to drain the swamp, that we were going to clean house. She struck a cord with me, and kept talking about "open and transparent" (she used that phrase a LOT) government. Instead she was a train wreck, and couldn't get anything done. She bought approval by releasing a bunch of cash -  to her credit it was a check to all citizens across the board instead of a tax break on the rich, but we had that crazy dividend fund  .... anyway, if  I hadn't had the Palin experience I might have been drawn into the idea of voting for ANYONE who could shake things up and make changes......but I did. And I think Trump is nuttier than Palin. I half expect him to quit halfway thru his term they are so similar.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 07:26:12 PM »
Hi Deep. So sorry you were not good enough to make the Hocky Team. It seams like it made a big impact on you. Hopefully you got a spot on the Glee Team.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 07:30:04 PM »
If you were to look back at the old Trump thread I said exactly that. I thought the best outcome would be Trumps election, a swing back of the pendulum from the far left and then him getting out or at least being made ineffective by the mid-terms. I hate Trump....hated him long before the election. Always reminded me of the smug prep school frat boys that would show up to play ball in the park where I grew up. I lived in Allston....surrounded by colleges and off campus apartments. I've never liked people that think they are better than others without even knowing the others. Trump obviously has an ego that is beyond normal understanding. I was voting for anyone but Hillary...I was planning on writing in Pono but when my nephew died (a Trump supporter) I voted for him as a symbol. But as much as I despise Trump as a person....as far as the issues go he's still not Hillary.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 07:31:47 PM »
Hi Deep. So sorry you were not good enough to make the Hocky Team. It seams like it made a big impact on you. Hopefully you got a spot on the Glee Team.

Serously?

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
Just kind of BS’ing. Do you know my next door neighbors in Baja? Kent and Shelly Hudson. Good folks.

Salish Salt

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 11:23:21 PM »
How does one reacts when things go sideways?   Twenty+ years ago in Pakistan I witnessed a Construction Manager of a large, tough project unload on a high level client representative.  30 seconds after he winked at me and calmly said, "how did that sound?"  The CM's tirade was measured and did not reek of contempt.

"Kavanaugh has revealed himself to be a man without measure, capable of frenzy, full of conspiratorial venom". Roger Cohen.    ...   Consider the source, but the words also.

Who do you want around you, influencing your fate, when things go upside down?   

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2018, 03:01:43 AM »
If I were the FBI I’d be looking very carefully into the alcohol and/or drug history of Kavanaugh. His performance - because that’s what it was - was so spectacularly out of control, with his weird sniffing and those really strange repetitive tongue movements, that it was redolent of alcoholism or drug abuse. If he was drunk when he gave “testimony”, or had been sniffing Colombian marching powder beforehand,  it would explain a lot. It’s hard otherwise to understand why someone who spends their entire professional life in courts could get the tone and delivery so wrong.

This was a job interview, and it’s hard to imagine how he could have done worse at it. What is the point of job interviews if what happens in them is ignored in the decision-making?

If this guy is confirmed, every single decision he is involved with going forward will be the subject of protest and ridicule. If later he turns out to be unfit for the post, through future scandal, all those involved in his confirmation will have egg on their faces: they could not have been presented with clearer evidence of this man’s myriad weaknesses. So it’s difficult for me to see how he can be confirmed in the post. Trump went from being 100% behind the guy to deliberately distancing himself from him, as he no doubt started to hear the public reaction to this over-privileged man-child. Surely everyone else will start to follow suit? The reason Kavanaugh was so keen to avoid FBI investigation, and that the GOP including Trump is so keen to limit its scope, is surely that there is something else dark and unpleasant in this guy’s history. The reason why it has not already come out may simply be because many people (including Trump?) would have looked stupid for backing him. The kind of catastrophically histrionic behaviour exhibited by Kavanaugh this week can surely not be out of the blue. That kind of behaviour is a long-term pattern, perhaps amplified by alcohol/substance abuse (IMO).

One comforting thing, in a strange way, and IF this guy is kicked into the long grass where he belongs, is that the “job selection process” has worked. If he is confirmed however, it surely just means that there will be no future confidence in the process at all, no matter what your political affiliation.

In these ways, Dr Ford’s testimony is no longer the central issue. She just provided the initial spark. Good for her, she’s done the US a big favour. But now the focus has to move away from her, and onto Kavanaugh’s fitness for office more broadly, and the consequences for the office should he succeed. This was a job interview and he blew it, big time. If I implode at a job interview I don’t get the job. Why should it be any different for this guy? It will reek of rich white privilege and all manner of bad things if he gets the job now. Whether or not he is guilty of the crime he’s accused of, we’ll never know for sure. We weren’t witnesses. But we were all witnesses to his appalling, strange, and undignified behaviour this week. That’s the real evidence in this case.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2018, 04:11:49 AM »
Since youve said youre game WW, would you pls explain the cartoon you posted?

I dont get it.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 05:14:42 AM »
It’s hard otherwise to understand why someone who spends their entire professional life in courts could get the tone and delivery so wrong.

He had been thrown off message, off of his time practiced facade and with the goal in sight had decided to model the Trump message and persona.  The inherent stress of the situation brought in an unpracticed element as well.  What we saw ranged from "My 10 year old prayed for that woman" to "you need me on that wall".  He so much believes his own BS that he was comfortable changing the meaning of terms that every schoolboy knows and lying about unimportant things such as college drunkenness which are now being proven as patently false.  This type of lie is what impeached Clinton and may be what drops Kavanaugh.  Are we ready for a Supreme Court judge with no respect for truth under Oath?

One of the most disturbing things about this was how partisan, biased and Trump affiliated Kavanaugh represented himself to be.  Without seeming alarmist this seems like a juncture where checks and balances could truly be out the window.

Rachel Mitchel did an incredible job.  It was a pleasure to watch her operate. 

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 05:31:54 AM by Admin »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 05:22:54 AM »
Eastie, I think the cartoon means the dems just fucked justice. 

But, it could just as easily been an elephant or for that matter a train of donkeys and elephants...what a shit show.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:22:12 AM by Bean »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal