Author Topic: Cross-Stepping/Noseriding: My Personal Quest  (Read 36865 times)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-Stepping/Noseriding: My Personal Quest
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2019, 03:13:15 PM »
Thanks Creeker!  That was a lot of fun with you and Jimmy and look forward to doing it again soon!!!!

Supsean:  You've got the right board for it with the Steeze!  You'll get there....it just takes time, patience, and persistence......lot's of persistence - just like everything else in life worthwhile!!!!!  Keep at it, Lord knows I am!!

8) 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2019, 05:41:36 AM »
Figured I was long overdue for update so wanted to push a quick update on subject line topic......

I've now suffered two external hard drive failures this summer......the first one about 3 months ago and managed to lose all my iMovie footage.  I had a "project" which contained half a dozen clips of some final video (#4 of 4) cross stepping w/ closeup 5-over nose rides - gone! I wanted a couple more rides to add to the video but I should've just wrapped it out and pushed it out...

Progress had progressed to the point this summer on my B&B SUP that I was getting at least one super fun hang 5 per session, sometimes more.  Cross stepping had progressed to a point where I felt very comfy moving up and back and I started to think more and more about some local longboard guys who were/are really good.  So, after lots of parking lot chats with some older local long boarders and a couple of Zoner's here (once proners) I decided to buy a longboard and set my goals on cross stepping and nose riding that.

After LOT's of research and conversations I settled on a 9'6" Walden Mega Magic.  That was back in later July and I haven't ridden a SUP since.....let the sighs, bantering, bottle throwing begin!  ;D ;D   I've become obsessed w/ it and its been a learning curve but its now been about 2 months and I'm now starting to cross step it up and back with some regular success and feel I'll soon get to the point of being able to get some cheater 5's. 

(Stands w/ head bowed) "My name is WhatsSUP, and I've been SUP free since the middle of July"......... :( :(

::) ::) ::) ::)

Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2019, 08:03:49 AM »
Nice to hear your progress on the B&B.

What were the considerations that compelled you to try a laydown longboard?
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

supthecreek

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2019, 08:45:36 AM »
WhatsSUP
said:
"That was back in later July and I haven't ridden a SUP since."

traitorous bastard!   ;)
Come up to the Cape and we'll see how much you like your little sinker  ;D

Nice talking to you this morning!

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2019, 12:21:19 PM »
Subber:  Couple of reasons I guess....I was a VERY VERY novice surfer back in my college days and probably only managed a few green water rides given irregular/infrequent outings, but those few rides were etched in my mind forever and I totally got it (surfer stoke). Over the years I’ve only got out a handful of times in various places.  Why prone? Started SUP 4 years ago now, or thereabouts, cuz I simply thought I was getting too old to start proning (now age 58) and I saw lots of folks my age and older that where killin it on SUP!  I got hooked in a big way and loved it! Earlier this summer I just couldn’t stop thinking about trying to prone again...so, rather that try someone’s longboard or demo something I did a bit of research and dropped $1300 like a moron - not knowing if I’d try it once or twice and hang it on the wall.  Turns out that my first session on it resulted in several rides that brought me back to previous attempts except I was actually pretty successful from the start.  Make no doubt,  had a ton of wipeouts but I had a some really nice little rides too - No doubt in my mind that my quick prone progress/success was largely because of SUP.  I just had to practice/relearn pop-ups.  I still miss a good number waves and pearl but I also get a LOT of crazy fun rides.  Its definitely a different feeling I get without a paddle - not sure what it is...free-er I guess - at least in part...also, turning/kicking out of wave after a successful ride and meeting the board as I fall slowly back to the water in a controlled manner in perfect position to prone paddle back out is a pretty sweet feeling/sensation.

Creeker:
WhatsSUP
said:

traitorous bastard!   ;)

HAH!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D I knew I could count on you for a good bash!   And the only thing I'm dangling in the water up there is some bait on a hook from a BIG ass boat!!!  Homey ain't playin that game!   ;D ;D

Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2019, 01:34:47 PM »
treasonous!!  (yes, i am jealous)

sounds really fun, and you can come back to the fold anytime....in case you dont become a militant anti-sup guy!!

i might never have sup'ed if my hip and shoulders werent shot--if i prone paddle a lousy hour my neck and shoulders are effed for a day or two--and popups are stumbleups, given my rotted left hip---so i can still drop softer waves, but i can get so much more fun on a sup, even if waves are soft, that it's unlikely my proneboards will be recalled from friends who are enjoying them  cool to see you get chops on sup, which then eases transition back to prone

props to you---with doggedness, you are learning new stuff--they say that's key to staying young of both mind and body

pls dont key the car in RI with NY plates and sup stickers! at least not the subaru......

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2019, 02:22:18 PM »
Subber:  Couple of reasons I guess....I was a VERY VERY novice surfer back in my college days and probably only managed a few green water rides given irregular/infrequent outings, but those few rides were etched in my mind forever and I totally got it (surfer stoke). Over the years I’ve only got out a handful of times in various places.  Why prone? Started SUP 4 years ago now, or thereabouts, cuz I simply thought I was getting too old to start proning (now age 58) and I saw lots of folks my age and older that where killin it on SUP!  I got hooked in a big way and loved it! Earlier this summer I just couldn’t stop thinking about trying to prone again...so, rather that try someone’s longboard or demo something I did a bit of research and dropped $1300 like a moron - not knowing if I’d try it once or twice and hang it on the wall.  Turns out that my first session on it resulted in several rides that brought me back to previous attempts except I was actually pretty successful from the start.  Make no doubt,  had a ton of wipeouts but I had a some really nice little rides too - No doubt in my mind that my quick prone progress/success was largely because of SUP.  I just had to practice/relearn pop-ups.  I still miss a good number waves and pearl but I also get a LOT of crazy fun rides.  Its definitely a different feeling I get without a paddle - not sure what it is...free-er I guess - at least in part...also, turning/kicking out of wave after a successful ride and meeting the board as I fall slowly back to the water in a controlled manner in perfect position to prone paddle back out is a pretty sweet feeling/sensation.

Creeker:
WhatsSUP
said:

traitorous bastard!   ;)

HAH!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D I knew I could count on you for a good bash!   And the only thing I'm dangling in the water up there is some bait on a hook from a BIG ass boat!!!  Homey ain't playin that game!   ;D ;D

Whatsup

I am not jealous a bit.........I am jealous a whole lot. I still take my long board out a couple of times a year, just to reassure myself that I still can’t pop up. Way to go and thanks for sharing the stoke.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2019, 04:49:58 PM »
Eastie & FRP,

All good fella's....I love anything that anyone does that involves Mother Ocean for recreational value - if I'm to coin/cop, actually a local business, we are all water brothers.  We all know and share the connection of her power (both spiritually and a good pimp slapping), joy, beauty, etc...

I will return to SUP....probably when I start freezing me arse off in a couple of months when I could be standing in the sun and warmer air up on a nice sunny day!   8) ;D 

For now, I'll continue to stick with my longboard and just have fun and look for friends who show up and just want to enjoy some fresh air and hopefully some fun rides & vibes.

I'm usually on the Zone every day...I just don't log in....ESPECIALLY with all the banter about politics and non-water stuff....I can get that crap in a lot of other places!!!!!!! I want pics, videos, board reviews, repair info......just saying.

Talk soon fella's....Hope to see ya on (or in) the water!
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2019, 06:19:36 AM »
Here's a short little clip I made from yesterday's session.....ah yeah, I know, I forgot my paddle.   ::) ;D ;D ;D

Sloooooowly but surely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK7fKkH1zc4
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »
If I could still pop up I would. SUP came along just in time for me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2019, 04:13:58 PM »
Great music,   is that Los Straightjackets?

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2019, 03:57:35 AM »
Not LS ....Surfs up by Henrik Anderssen
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2019, 09:39:42 PM »
If I could still pop up I would. SUP came along just in time for me.

I can still pop up, and there's no way I'm going back. SUP has opened way too many doors for me. The other day I tried to think of what begin on a short board gives me, and all I could come up with was speed of maneuvers, but I don't want to surf like that any more. When I was a kid, Gerry Lopez was my main idol. The older I get, the more I want to surf like that. So imagine my delight when I heard what he had to say about SUP surfing.

I suffered much ridicule from my surfing peers when I changed over to SUP two years ago. Now I get all the questions ;-)   

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2019, 10:02:32 AM »
my sup boards ride like shortboards in many ways, but they carry speed/plane in crap way better than shortboards--now super snappy skilled maneuvers will always be better on nice waves on a shortboard, but that's a tiny piece of the puzzle---the whole rest of the puzzle is way better on a sup--and wave count is unarguable--i hear constantly from proners "jeeze you get so many fun looking waves"

i can still pop up on a longboard on a soft wave--but i choose to sup, even then--more fun to be had

but that's just me---and whatsup's sojourn looks like tons of fun for him

if i had time and plentiful waves i might well be mixing things up too
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal