Author Topic: Cross-Stepping/Noseriding: My Personal Quest  (Read 36861 times)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-Stepping/Noseriding: My Personal Quest - Part 3: Walk on Water
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2019, 07:38:55 AM »
Part 3:  Walk on Water .....

Progress slowly continues on the quest for cross stepping and nose riding.  I've included the you tube links here for Part 1 and Part 2 as a measure.  Part 3 is more cross stepping than nose riding......

I'm still sticking to my plan of a total of 4 vid's to document my progress. My goal is for Part 4 to be true noseriding!  I couldn't help myself putting in the snippet of the quasi move...still cracks me up. Gotta love the cameo too...   :)

Part 3
https://youtu.be/jz2mGAwQfrQ

----

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTo_quPtDPk&t=235s

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ti55wMDJsk
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 07:54:41 AM by WhatsSUP »
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

Re: Cross-Stepping/Noseriding: My Personal Quest
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2019, 03:07:00 PM »
Nice Whatz^.... you are getting this down and looking comfortable throwing in some style moves!!!

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2019, 05:05:12 PM »
lovin' it.  and like rick says, you're doing it with style.

(and btw if anyone wants to buy a brand-new never-been-in-water jimmy l b&b, i've got one in my garage in RI ...)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2019, 06:00:11 AM »
Thanks Creeker and Linter!

Linter:  Will pm you.....

8) 8)
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2019, 06:36:06 AM »
Yes, you are making some serious progress WZ!  I have all kinds of problems cross stepping on my back-side, but like everything, it's a work in process...

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2019, 07:05:04 AM »
Good for you Wat'z!  I envy those little peelers.  Of course, I cannot do as well as you, but I can see pretty good.  I see you hesitate and end up with little opportunity. 

I never knew the concept of 'lock of the tail' until I came across this guy from Japan/HI who, for a few years, has chronicled the do's/don'ts of surf moves with the beginner in mind.  I suspect this 'lock of the tail' further stabilizes the board so you can more confidently go forward.  ...maybe?!

See his entry of 29 Dec 2018  'Santa Five' for starters  ...there's tons more.   http://alohaki.jugem.jp/?page=1

I'm kinda amazed there are not more references to this guy here?! 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2019, 08:10:12 AM »
Thank you Bean and Wetstuff...

I can pick out things on every single ride that is an issue in these videos and the numerous others I've captured and I try my damndest to think about and address went I hit the gym.  I do a good amount of BOSU ball squats and timed one-legged balance stands which I know has helped my balance along with a good bit of abs/lower back core work.  The one thing that I'm trying to bring to the water is what I do with mats at the gym.  I lay a couple of them out on the floor to mimic my 10' board and practice cross-stepping back and forth using light dumbbells from where the handle would be.  I practice dropping my lead foot back at the start of every rep to bring it in tight to my back foot and either drop my back foot further back to the tail to simulate a turn left or right.  Once my front foot is in fairly tight to my back foot I know for my height its three cross step moves which would put my back foot just on forward of the white line and my front foot within a very easy step from 5 over easy....in the water I've not started forward by pulling my front foot back and as a result I've been only taking two cross steps which puts my back foot on the tail side of the white line and my front foot anywhere from a few inches of the nose or a foot or better.  I'm convinced if I can mimic the floor mat work in the water it'll get me consistently better rides up front. 

Sorry for the long drawn out explanation.....I think I just did this more for myself in order to instill or force (myself) into what I think/want to do....

Crazy hooked!!!!!

8) 8)
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2019, 08:55:19 AM »

i've posted about him here before.  ramrod.  he's great.  we exchanged emails about noseriding for a good long time, two or three years back, and he was never less than helpful.  and, in my case, hopeful.

patrice, at gong, is another good guy.  similar email situation.  he's got a how-to crossstep vid out that's in french.  i paid a guy 7 on fiverr to translate it a few days ago and will post it when i get a free moment.  have not read it yet.

and don't get me started about the superduper awesome jimmy lewis.  love that guy!

Good for you Wat'z!  I envy those little peelers.  Of course, I cannot do as well as you, but I can see pretty good.  I see you hesitate and end up with little opportunity. 

I never knew the concept of 'lock of the tail' until I came across this guy from Japan/HI who, for a few years, has chronicled the do's/don'ts of surf moves with the beginner in mind.  I suspect this 'lock of the tail' further stabilizes the board so you can more confidently go forward.  ...maybe?!

See his entry of 29 Dec 2018  'Santa Five' for starters  ...there's tons more.   http://alohaki.jugem.jp/?page=1

I'm kinda amazed there are not more references to this guy here?! 

Jim

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2019, 11:15:16 AM »
check wingnut's steppin' tool 'sup:

http://www.goofboard.co.za/

used mine obsessively for a few months--prolly should bklyn blow it out!! possessions possess!

kudos to anyone who can cross-step well on this--i got pretty good with it, but not so much cross-steppin

looks like youre getting some moves and having fun 'sup.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2019, 06:58:50 PM »
ah yes, the goofboard.  i once wrote a story about my adventures in noseriding and cross/stepping which include the following lines.  good fun!  splitting headache!

After that, I’ll take a break and go work on my balance skills, warming up with a vintage Bongo Board that I’ve actually gotten good at; progressing to a wobbly electrified version of the Bongo Board called the uSurf, which doesn’t so much aim to improve your balance as to throw you against the wall; transitioning to a contemplative glance at my Wingnut-endorsed Goof Board, a type of advanced balance board that I’m too scared to try; and ending with me soaking my head in a fifth of vodka.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2019, 05:06:09 AM »
Yeah, I still use the goof board I built a couple of years ago.  I jump on it every coupe of days for 10-15 mins.  Knock on wood I haven't had any wicked wipeouts on it but have come close.  I started using it on pretty thick carpet which dampened the roll a bit but since have graduated to a very thin carpet which makes it a bit more lively.  It's just another tool/exercise for getting/trying to stay nimble.

https://youtu.be/RhiCEJoZyL0
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2019, 05:19:53 PM »
This is a great thread Whats^.

I've been a short boarder all my life, and never really clicked with long boards, other than to take my kids out when they were little. Now that I ride SUP, I think the long boards are my favorite board to ride, even in heavier stuff. Going down the same path, learning to nose ride and cross step. So much fin.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2019, 05:19:45 AM »
May has been a great month thus far.....12 sessions in the books.  This past Sat and yesterday (Mem. Day) have been super fun with clean conditions for the early early morning sessions.

I've been messing with fin placement and have been trying a fin that Mr. Big suggested...his FCS Fat Boy.  I started with it all the way up front, then middle, now its all the back in the fin box.  Not sure I'm sold just yet....still an underway experiment.

Any way, here a batch of pics from this holiday weekend.  Hanging out up front a lot these days.....I'm still fine tuning my step and feet placement.  Still not getting a true "toes over", but its only a matter of more time in the water....I think next session (tomorrow probably), I'll practice squatting down and extending my front foot out - should be able get the piggies over doing that!   ;D ;D

The quest continues!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 05:23:14 AM by WhatsSUP »
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2019, 05:52:16 AM »
Nice Todd!..... really fun watching you surf during our latest session together, I like your style!

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2019, 02:47:35 PM »
inspiration for me. I have a Steeze, which apparently people can get their toes up on the front, but for me that 4' walk looks a lot farther than it does on the beach. But I like this idea of trimming, cross stepping and getting up on the nose. For now its an "idea", but thanks for paving the way.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal