Author Topic: Cross-Stepping/Noseriding: My Personal Quest  (Read 36859 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-Stepping/Noseriding: My Personal Quest
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 10:14:41 PM »
Jimmy is one hell of a noserider, in fact, it's what he does with 99 percent of the waves he catches. I've known him a long time--probably getting on 20 years--and I don't remember any flat nosed boards. But he changes them up fairly often, I might be out of date.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 09:09:13 AM »
Here is a picture of us discussing the B&B a couple years ago.  Those who say you should never meet your hero's have never met Jimmy Lewis. ;D

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 02:39:51 PM »
Bean, nice!  I can't say enough about the service I got from Marlon....top notch!

As a side, had a fun 3-hours session with Mr. Big today....lots of hoots and hollers from the small mix of pruners and the two of us geezers.  ;D  Great longboard day with lots of super fun rides by all!!!!!  Was still fairly breezy at the end of the session when we decided to ride one in.  Got to my truck and put the ol' B&B up in the rack like I've done a ton of times this year....than, WHA-BAM...wind launched the SOB and send her crashing to the parking lot pavement one spot over.  Fortunately, the spot next to me was vacant!!!  Big saw the whole thing which happened stupid fast!  Inspected her and said I wanted to vomit about 10x's and put her back up and drove her right to the local shop.  I'm gonna be B&B-less for about two weeks - oh well, could have been wayyyyyyy worse....could have smacked a person, car, etc.  LESSON LEARNED:  put the board up and maintain control at all times until securely tied down!  Son of a beee-ach-oo! 

Well, back to the Creek for the weekend....which is not a bad thing!!!! 

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »
Yesterday was head+, today small and clean. Fun with tip time boy! We discussed the stall as the move that puts you in the right spot.
Was horrified when I saw in slow motion a beautiful yellow JL get picked up spun like a top
and hit the ground hard.
A pic from yesterday is attached. Maybe..
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 03:39:14 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supthecreek

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 04:57:21 PM »
Fun session... windy for sure, but some nice sets!
I caught the tail end of MrBig's last wave...
sorry biggie, my camera was off when you caught that wave.... but its shows the conditions.

Nice aerial Whatz^  ;) 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 08:13:08 PM »
That’s brutal WZ, hope you get ‘er fixed up quick!

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2018, 05:07:35 PM »
All good...2 weeks and I'l have her back.  Remaining quiver contains a couple of other very viable wave riding options between now and then (to include my 9'4" Creek)!  8) 8) 8) 8)
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 07:23:08 AM »
Recently posted......the move at min 2:22 is soooo awesome!  Love it!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhMAyov9PIA
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 08:32:33 AM »
been there WS--rack can be a launchpad for the next gust
actually drove off years ago with my 9'6" widepoint unstrapped on the roof in a thin, crappy daybag, fins attached
i was going around 20 when it launched onto the road--no other car complications, in my case also, thk God
upshot that the board was totally fine.... go figure--obvi the fins didnt hit--but the hrs sure did, and the board was fine

lemonade from your lemons is that the board didnt fill with water--youll have it back soon, without a 6 week dryout period!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2018, 08:40:03 AM »
What's -- spending time in Hood River means occasionally dodging the flying boards from the newbs--not meaning newbies at whatever board sport, but newbs at dealing with Hood River parking lot winds. Likewise, Maliko runs and Southshore Maui downwinders--lots of times it takes three people to get a board on and off a car for a southside run. Seriously.

The whole "rope instead of straps" thing is to prevent exactly what you just experienced. Next time you see Stoneaxe ask him to show you how quick and easy it is to get a rope across the tail and eliminate the possibility of a launched board. I load my 17 foot downwind board on the super-high rack of my F350 by myself almost every day in the spring and summer, in 25kt gusts in the Hood River Event Center, with no drama. And my torn up shoulders make me very clumsy at it. If I was doing that with straps I'd be replacing my board weekly.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:41:37 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 05:41:32 AM »
Its been a GREAT weekend on many fronts.....

Late week started with the bow hunt harvest of a nice 9-pt buck.  Spent Friday night and a good bit of Saturday butchering meat cuts....tenderloins, backstraps/chops, steaks, and stew meat.  Thank you Lord......my family and I will thoroughly enjoy this bountiful harvest!

Then yesterday morning it was back to nose-ride practice.  My progression continues and I'm getting more and more consistent and stable with moving up and back.  I'm now able to start/stall move up a step, then back a step followed by several steps up to the nose at will if I desire - kinda like a dance move.  I've shortened my crossteps a bit as suggested here and its made a distance. I planted my forward foot on several rides yesterday and then squeaked it forward another coupe of inches within 2"'s of the very tip.  I sense no barriers at this point to get my toes another 2"'s or so over the front. I did it yesterday on a couple of waves but pearled the board so I can't count it as a full on toes over ride. Its just gonna take a bit more practice.....I think I need to crouch my body a little lower extend my whole leg bit.  Of course every wave is different so its just gonna take a bit more time.  I also really like to ride backside in an exaggerated crosstep if that makes sense....posted a pic.  I feel VERY stable and can trim and turn a bit - fun.  I continue to gather video clips for my ultimate #3 video.  Release date TBD. :)

Then to top off the weekend my niece delivered a healthy baby boy last night so we made the short 3 mile drive to the Newport hospital and made a quick visit. Very Cool!

Life is good!!!! Stoked!

Hope everyone had a good weekend as well!!!!!

Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 05:55:38 AM »
60's style'n there Todd!
Looking good!

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »
Thanks Creeker!  As a product of the 60's (born in 1961) I take that as a compliment!   ::) ;D

8) 8) 8)
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 11:08:17 AM »
Wow. I've seen of SUP fishing, but SUP bow-hunting is a new one. It must take a lot of liters to get that buck back home!

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
Wow. I've seen of SUP fishing, but SUP bow-hunting is a new one. It must take a lot of liters to get that buck back home!

;D ;D ;D

I can tell you it takes a good number pints (as in beers) to cut, pack, and wrap!
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal