Author Topic: Cross-Stepping/Noseriding: My Personal Quest  (Read 36862 times)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Cross-Stepping/Noseriding: My Personal Quest
« on: September 25, 2018, 02:20:08 PM »
Two of what I expect will be a total of 4 videos:

Video "PART I:  First Steps……."

The first 4 clips reveal some my earliest attempts at cross-stepping forward…..the last 2 clips show a couple of the first attempts at backing up.  SUP skill level at the beginning of this year was probably about Novice (ability to paddle and catch waves & initiate turns left or right and ride down the line….nothing fancy.

I made numerous observations from these as well as other clips not displayed during this timeframe.  Most notably, a delay or hesitation in starting forward, and straying too far from the centerline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ti55wMDJsk

Video PART II: Up and Back……

In this video, I start to combine cross-stepping forward with attempts to walk back and try to recover.  Still having a fair number of waves pass underneath during this timeframe.  And although still a full cross-step and a half from the tip of the board I am starting to become a bit more proficient at moving up and back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTo_quPtDPk

Looking Ahead:

I’ve already started to collect footage that I would consider consistent with a next level of progression - what will become my “Part III: Putting it Altogether” video which I’ll likely post in the month or so.   I ultimately envision a final Part IV video (timeframe TBD) to capture some true nose-riding - gonna take a bunch more hours and sessions but I can sense that its not terribly far in the future….quite exciting!

Closing Comment:

Its been fun to gather and watch, rewatch, and rewatch again all the video I’ve amassed this year - and I only save a few rides from each session and delete the rest. And yeah, it can be a bit of a time sync, but on rainy and/or surf less day its pretty fun.  One thing for certain, the Soloshot 3 has given me a great tool to carefully analyze rides in super slow motion in order to try and figure things out - not to mention document progress over time. 

Hoping this might inspire others to post technique and other vids!!!!!!!! 
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

Re: Cross-Stepping/Noseriding: My Personal Quest
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 02:46:51 PM »
Whatz^.... really enjoyed watching your progress!
You have become a surfer in the past 6 months.... retirement suits you!  ;D

Pretty cool to be able to see the small things that show up with the SoloShot 65.....
my old beach cams were grainy and too distant,
this camera is a great self help tool   ;)

You have fast feet, so you will have this wired soon :)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 04:09:59 PM »
Very nice!
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 06:05:28 PM »
Whats, nice progression. You're off balance while your stepping forward, you look more comfortable going backward. That's because your first step backward is short, and it's easier to keep your weight over the middle of the board.

If you make your first step forwards by pulling your front foot back, you'll both stall the board a little and make your first step forward a short one, which is easy to keep balance.

In your first videos, you're taking long steps and they're hurried. Now you're taking shorter ones, but they're still a little too long and a little too fast. Try sliding that front foot back before you take your first step, and while you're sliding it, make sure it's right across the stringer. Bend your knees a little more and keep your weight evenly on your heels and toes. If you can't quite get your weight even, then weight your toes to keep the rail pressed down.

Lots of things to remember, but once you have them in muscle memory you'll have it for keeps. Watch a few of wingnut's videos. He's the king of smooth cross stepping.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:09:33 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 06:07:45 PM »
That was fun...nice work.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 06:51:10 PM »
Great work man.

You made me think, I suspect that crossstepping with a paddle is harder than without. When I do it on a longboard my arms are up high and spread for balance. I’ll bet both hands on the paddle is harder like people describe from foiling.

One note. It looks like you are pretty far back in general for that sort of a wave. You could probably step to the front of the pad and ride those waves without stepping back at all. I always ride soft waves with my feet around or forward of the handle.

That said, I also have trouble getting on the tail to turn so there’s that. ;)

Keep it up, I’m jealous of your progression!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 09:22:18 PM »
WZ, have you found the accelerator on your B&B yet?  That board is magic in the right conditions.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 03:56:08 AM »
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions!! 

Pono and SurfC:  Very much appreciate the observations/comments.  They are duly noted and I'll try to to put them into practice!

Bean:  "Accelerator"?.....I think so - I definitely sense that the board speeds up as I move forward. Do tell if there's some secret sauce that I need to try to release!  ;D

On another note, I was describing my East Coast (RI) surf location to Jimmy's son, Marlon, at the time of my B&B purchase and he reco'd the flat nose model vice the concave nose. I know the concave is supposed to provide a bit more lift and he could put his hands on one very easily and quickly but we both decided to wait for production of a flat nose, which I ended up with...and extremely happy with.  I suspect I'm still at a level of not being able to tell the difference if I had both but I do think about how one performs as compared to the other(????)  Anyone with firsthand knowledge?

8) 8) 8)     
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 07:59:36 AM »
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions!! 

Pono and SurfC:  Very much appreciate the observations/comments.  They are duly noted and I'll try to to put them into practice!

Bean:  "Accelerator"?.....I think so - I definitely sense that the board speeds up as I move forward. Do tell if there's some secret sauce that I need to try to release!  ;D

On another note, I was describing my East Coast (RI) surf location to Jimmy's son, Marlon, at the time of my B&B purchase and he reco'd the flat nose model vice the concave nose. I know the concave is supposed to provide a bit more lift and he could put his hands on one very easily and quickly but we both decided to wait for production of a flat nose, which I ended up with...and extremely happy with.  I suspect I'm still at a level of not being able to tell the difference if I had both but I do think about how one performs as compared to the other(????)  Anyone with firsthand knowledge?

8) 8) 8)   

Yes, I had a similar conversation with Jimmy at the surf expo a couple years ago.  He also thought that the flat nose would be better for my NJ beach breaks.  But, I'm still stoked on my 9'6" x 28" with the concave nose! 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 08:39:15 AM »
I miss my Stewart 9'6" longboard, though my neck and back don't miss surfing it. It had a deep concave in the nose and some V in the tail and even a faker like me could sort of nose ride it. Or at least ten on the logo. Some tweeker sliced the straps in Lahina and probably got fifty bucks for it. Love those guys.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 10:27:37 AM »
Ouch Bill, I still have a Stewart 9'6" (Tipster) - it behaves a lot like my 9'6" JL B&B Machine.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 10:39:30 AM »
If you make your first step forwards by pulling your front foot back, you'll both stall the board a little and make your first step forward a short one, which is easy to keep balance.

The stall was the key for me.  It was always hard to take the first step forward.  It's subtle and doesn't need to be a step as you get better, but it's there.  Watch the first guy in this vid - drops the back knee to add weight/stall and then goes forward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8o9Aunf6SY

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 12:53:25 PM »
Whatsup, so nice peaceful and stoking video.

Now that you have the nose more under control it’s time to get to the tail. Then your nose riding will advance more.

You are catching the wave from the middle of the board, turning from the middle and then stepping up.
If the takeoff is into the steep part of the wave you’ll be pointed down the line and can move straight to the nose.

When you are in the wave early, like most of the waves in the vid, being in the middle of the board is fine. Head straight in for a moment, build a little speed, then take a step back and turn not so gentle to get the whole board going down the line.

You’ll lose a touch of speed in the turn, like a little stall, this is when you walk back up the board past the middle towards the nose to trim and accelerate.

Nose riding is back and forth from nose to tail to nose.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 03:17:55 PM »
whatsup: glad to see that you're keeping the noseriding flame alive.  i have had one successful noseride in my life and fortunately it was caught on film.  i post a link to it every time i can, ha ha, but this time i'm going to resist

in any event, for it to be truly noseriding, i subscribe to the thought school that says you've got to have toes over for it to count.  i've had numerous discussions about this was jimmy lewis and we're both agreed that 5 or 10, cheater on the 5 or not, is what cha gotta do.  the sensation is entirely different than the one you get riding 2/3 of the way forward.

this is not to take away from your accomplishments, which are great and fluid.  and lord knows it took me years to get that first complete step down.  but if you're happy with it as is, the next step, imho, is to take another step and try for five.  it drove me batty trying to get it right.  i had all kinds of gorilla tape stuck on my board here and there to help me figure out where my feet were supposed to go.  some days i'd look down and see that my big toe was but 2" from the nose and i'd curse at myself over and over for my failure to get those last couple of inches.

have you been to the gong sup site's forum to look at what patrice has to say about supping from the nose?  he was incredibly helpful to me with my efforts.  and i know he's got a short instructional video up that looks great but he's speaking french so i'm missing that.  if you speak fr, perhaps you could write up a translation and post it in the forum and send it to me.

also see: http://alohaki.jugem.jp/ the author here, ramrod, and i have had many exchanges over the years and he's been very helpful too.  his blog seems to be mostly short board stuff now but if you head back in time you'll find some great posts about noseriding and the physics of it and so on.

good luck out there, and i wish i could be joining you!

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 05:15:15 PM »
Bean.....had a little birdie tell me that Jimmy prefers the flat nose model even where he surfs.... but whatever I know they're equally amazing boards.  And I'm told told yellow is faster than blue!   ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Digger...good advice - can't tell you how many times I've watch that vid - and nice to see youngsters carrying on.

Surfin-J :  I've read your this comment half a dozen times (and will likely continue another dozen)....For relative few words I know there's a TON of information there!!!

Erik:  So glad you jumped in! I watched your 5-over video several times today (probably several dozen since I first saw it) and I have an appreciation for how important I think it is to you! Its an inspiration for me for sure!  Lot's of time and energy to get to that point - you should be proud!!!   And I'm with ya....I'm just starting to scratch the itch on cross-stepping/nose-riding.  I can taste the front end if the B&B and will not stop until I'm camped out as stylishly-styling with toes over on a fairly consistent basis.  I'm progressing, which is the important thing, but more importantly I'm just having fun trying to work/figure out the nuances - I'm only half way there or so with cross-stepping at the point of video #2....#3 will be better!  I've been to that website before and its very good - time for a refresh. Best!!!!!
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal