Author Topic: Never Miss a Session - NeMAS  (Read 1784 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Never Miss a Session - NeMAS
« on: September 20, 2018, 06:08:29 AM »
A friend of mine, Marc, was an All American Collegiate Athlete.  Marc was also an aspiring professional race car driver.  He was in the Formula Dodge race series having spent several years as an instructor for Skip Barber.  The racing involved instruction and he learned that he could NOT afford to miss an instructional session. 

“The learning curve was so steep, combined with the time on the track, that if you missed a session for any reason the rest of the team (students) were like a runaway train and you could never catch up.” 

This rule also Applies to Foiling:

Never Miss a Session to Become a Better Foiler

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Never Miss a Session - NeMAS
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 06:08:40 AM »
This is akin to Malcolm Gladwells 10,000 hour rule, or as Chuck Yeager said:

Ever since Tom Wolf’s book was published, the question I’m asked most often and which always annoys me is whether I think I’ve got “the right stuff.”  I know that golden trout have the right stuff, and I’ve seen a few gals here and there that I’d bet had it in spades, but those words seem meaningless when used to describe a pilot’s attributes.  The question annoys me because it implies that a guy who has “the right stuff” was born that way.  I was born with unusually good eyes and coordination.  I was mechanically oriented, understood machines easily.  I don’t deny that I was damned good.  If there is such a thing as ‘the best,’ I was at least one of the title contenders.  My nature was to stay cool in tight spots.  Is that “the right stuff”?  All I know is I worked my tail off to learn how to fly, and worked hard at it all the way.  And in the end, the one big reason why I was better than average as a pilot was because I flew more than anybody else.  If there is such a thing as “the right stuff” in piloting, then it is experience.

The secret to my success was that I always managed to fly another day. . . . And there’s so much more I want to do; I’ve never lost my curiosity about things that interest me.  Fortunately, I’m very good at the activities I most enjoy, and that in part has made my life that much sweeter.  I haven’t yet done everything, but by the time I’m finished, I won’t have missed much.  If I auger in tomorrow, it won’t be with a frown on my face.

I’ve had a ball.               Chuck Yeager-On The Right Stuff
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 06:18:16 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 06:08:54 AM »
If you follow Alex Aguerra or any of the Hawaiians on Facebook you will see performance on foils at another level. 

I called Sam P'ae the other day.  I was asking him about footstrap placement when using a smaller tail-wing.  The Kai tail on the IWA Wing.

With every question it was clear that Sam had been there, fumbled, got back up learned and moved forward.  He would chuckle at some of my questions and say "Oh yes I remember when that happened . . . . "

He was always one step ahead.  I say "Sam how many sessions do you have?"

He said "Oh I don't know 'we' have been doing it for 2 1/2 years and I tend to rest for 4 months but otherwise I am doing it all the time."

I said "Like 3 or 4 times a week?"  Sam - "No all the time."

Wow!  So I estimated him at 400 to 500 sessions.  No wonder these guys are so good.  :o

When the conditions are good, bad or small go foil.  I have 192 sessions and have some catching up to do. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 06:31:47 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 06:31:25 AM »
This was 192nd session with Jeff Clark.  Jeff probably has 250 to 350 sessions. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeqU7QC1PEw

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 08:18:32 AM »
jeebus Beasho,

It looks like that wave goes to nothing around the 15 second mark, yet you still get another 30 seconds out of it. 

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 11:32:52 PM »
I was asking him about footstrap placement when using a smaller tail-wing.  The Kai tail on the IWA Wing.

so can you post a review of the IWA with a KAI rear wing?  I've been keeping an eye out for a KAI rear wing for a while.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal