Author Topic: Foot strap placement?  (Read 2306 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Foot strap placement?
« on: September 25, 2018, 04:24:52 AM »
I have read past posts regarding this topic but none give specifics.  Having never put straps on a board, I am wondering how far off center to put the mounting nuts.  Just thought I'd ask before I do this.  I know where my feet are going but am curious as to how much to the toe side of the stringer they will be attached.  Thanks in advance.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foot strap placement?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 06:57:06 PM »
My Starboard has the foot straps on the stringer. My Kalama has the straps a couple inches left or right of the stringer depending on if you’re goofy or regular. This places the arch of your foot over the stringer.

As far as placement, start with the back foot directly over or just behind the mast. I put my front strap as far forward as possible. Another way to determine foot position is to take a picture of yourself while flying and use that as a guide.

Have fun.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 07:20:15 PM »
It depends on your straps. I don't use a back strap, my front strap is a Jimmy Lewis strap which has four or five holes per side, allowing adjustment of the strap angle. I like my strap to be about a 45-degree angle across the board, so I set the heelside strap on the furthest forward hole in the strap, one attachment hole behind the toe side. Toe is the reverse of heel. Start there and adjust. As Beasho says, 24 inches from the middle of the mast seems to be a good rule of thumb for GoFoils. Other foils will vary according to fuselage length. You need to get your center of mass over the center of lift. 

Two of my boards have the five-hole attachment rails for adjustability (my L41 doesn't have strap attachments. If your board has those rails I recommend you put screws in the front and back hole even if there isn't any strap attached. It's a long, deep rectangle attached only to the deck with epoxy, nothing but EPS to support it. If you're stepping hard on them they can delam which immediately leaks through the screw hole.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 05:43:37 AM »
Thank you all very much.  This helps greatly.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 06:04:53 AM »
I made this post:  25" Is the Magic Number: Front bolt to center of front foot.

This translates into a STANCE width of 28.5"

This foot position worked GREAT for the first 170 sessions on all GoFoil wings:  Kai, IWA, Maliko 160 and 200. 

Only as I have experimented with smaller tail wings have I started to move the front foot back.  BUT I would not recommend this for learning - The wider stance helps keep the nose down until you figure out how to fly.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,33427.msg376848.html#msg376848

With regards to the Offset of Center I have a Blue Planet board with footstrap inserts.  The holes are 2" apart ~ 1" off Center.  I wish that they were 4" apart therefore 2" off center.  To accommodate I have to make my front strap looser.  I thought this was NOT ideal but there may be some advantage to this.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:09:37 AM by Beasho »

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 02:06:39 PM »
Thanks Beasho,
I remember reading your post, 25"is the magic.....".  I prefer about 23" and I may also be a bit shorter than you(5'9").  Having my feet closer together seems to decrease over correction.  I guess I'll know more when I get my 6' fugly onto some real waves.  Thanks for the tips and am really looking forward to being more locked into the board and foil. 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 03:25:52 PM »
Footstraps are maddening for the first 5 sessions maybe 15 sessions.

It felt incredibly awkward taking off with front foot in the straps but now I feel like I am in a race car without a seat belt without straps.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal