Author Topic: Cooler on the back of my Glide  (Read 11916 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cooler on the back of my Glide
« on: December 03, 2018, 01:22:32 PM »
I made a layout picture of my glide and took a picture of the fore deck.

I want to carry a cooler, probably with rod holders, on the back. The problem is I don't really have any tie points back there other than the leash clip. If you look at the picture, the yellow area on the mat is the obvious spot. But there is nothing but mat on the deck in front of it; no place for a suction cup - unless I stick them on the rails. The 2016 30" Glide has big rails. I could attach a "security, just in case" loose line from a strap around the cooler to the leash clip and put a big suction cup on the rails on either side and slightly forward of the cooler. Is that crazy? Better ideas?

Another idea I have is using some foam pad (like for garage floor) on the fore deck. 2 pieces stacked near the mat and just on thickness near the "dome". That would level it out and protect against scuffing. I may pt a cooler up there instead. or maybe a crate. The bungee clips are the same construction/part as the leash clip.

BTW, planning to use a straight leash so coils don't tangle in everything. Sensible? I will be paddling offshore sometimes. With a group, but I still will always wear a leash.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 01:26:58 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Cooler on the back of my Glide
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 03:32:17 PM »
...one of the better looking boards for sure...
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 08:04:41 PM »
I’ve not done a ton of touring but when I load my board I put weight up front. The tail is usually thinned out so less float there. Also getting on is way easier without anything behind you.

I’d wait for feedback from the hard core tourers on here. Foam platform is a good idea for that though.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 06:24:51 AM »
Poking around a little more I had one of those "DOH!" moments while looking at others' setups for touring.

The handle placement made me feel like there is a lot more room in the back than the front. But that is based on the balance point unloaded. Every time I add some weight up front, I can take a step back. On top of that, I based my decision for a large board based on desire to carry a lot of gear and stability in chop/waves, not on my weight. I weigh under 160; if I put my heaviest item between the front bungee clips, I can stand pretty much anywhere I want.

Specific to fishing, it may be that the only thing I want to attach to the back is my 5 gallon bucket. Upside down with a small cushion it's a seat, right side up it's a bait bucket (for fresh caught bait) and if wind or a large fish is taking me where I don't want to go it gets thrown off the back to act as a chute.

ETA - I guess I didn't mention that common fishing scenarios include trolling beyond the breakers or artificial reefs a couple of miles out in the open Atlantic. This will be with others on days when the sea forecast is reasonable.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 06:30:48 AM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 12:11:57 PM »
Also getting on is way easier without anything behind you.

Yet another head slap - DOH! Two words - beach launch.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 06:57:59 PM »
NSI stick-on loops and a milk crate. The crate is easy to attach rodholders to and you can toss a soft cooler inside. Most fisherpeople and tourers put the wight up front. A few do it front and back. The advantage of a rear cooler is you can sit on it. If you do a low seat in the back (short cooler or bucket) it can be handy for getting where you want when the wind isn't cooperating. A two-piece kayak paddle is easy to store in the milk crate.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:03:43 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 04:29:53 AM »
I am really hesitant about using the stick ons, especially before I go out a few times. Unless I have a lucky break in weather in early January, it will be late spring before I actually get on the water because of some upcoming surgery. But since the kids have grown up we have gotten a lot more practical about Christmas, making Amazon lists so we don't buy each other stuff that won't get used, so I am loading mine up with things I will use; that's why I am scrambling a bit to plan this far out. Besides, a January trip still could happen.

Anyway, I currently have these on the list:

If I get those (I put lots of stuff on the list so there is still some surprise), I will at least figure out if/where I want a couple of additional clips.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 05:35:05 AM »
Following up on myself or continuing...

Yeah, I have a crate and  keep coming back to it - easy to rig rod holders (and re-rig if I don't like first placement), easy to clip tools/net/gaff/etc to, always open and drains immediately. Bucket on the back became a no brainer once I read about using it as a drag chute and I have an idea of how to keep it out of the way through the surf. Going to need a cushion to sit on it; after the weight loss there isn't much padding back there.

I may take a yak paddle. I have a couple but one reason I got into SUP is low back and shoulder issues. I probably will be able to us a kayak paddle again post surgery/recovery. Right now, pushing the paddle out in front of me is fine with a vertical shaft, but a horizontal shaft engages the torn rotator cuff more. I will take either a yak paddle or collapsible canoe paddle as an emergency backup paddle. My light kayak paddle is too short to use sitting on a bucket. I have a ridiculously long heavy outfitter grade Carlisle that would work if I can ever get it apart.  >:(  Kind of leaning toward the collapsible canoe paddle because of ease of stowing. Just using regular SUP paddle wouldn't be much of a hardship.

Collapsible canoe paddle I might use as emergency backup:
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 06:36:22 AM »
I have a Riviera Voyager, not as streamline but similar shape to yours and had same problem. I have it mainly to fish only and wanted to carry a small cooler as a drybox to carry my fishing stuff with rod holders as well. I ended up purchasing a 30qt. Engle cooler/drybox with 4 rod holders 2 on each side. Fishing I do not like anything on the deck in front of me so it's natural spot is just behind my feet and works out great as a seat, and I can also stand on it for better sight fishing.

Tie-down points to secure the cooler so one it does not blow or fall off or get knocked around. After some research I found NRS and Ez-Plugs as simple glue on low or near flat options. Mounting was close to the rounded edges of the rails and perhaps the NRS might have been a better option I opted for the Ez-Plugs, mainly because of my mental voice in the back of my head saying peel and stick will fail... the EZ-Plugs are hard plastic/nylon type material. The suggested glue is like super-glue and that same voice said don't use it. I was also adding carry handles to each side , center, to better hemp me loading and carrying the SUP, that slippery finger grip slot was not the best option.

I got the SurfCo EZ-Plugs, tossed the glue, used sand paper and shaped the bottom side to match the curvature of the board where I wanted to mount them, used masking tape to mask off teh area, cut out a shape of the plugs, sanded/roughed up the bottom side and the surface of the board.. then used G-Flex thickened epoxy adhesive and glued them securely in place.
That was well over a year ago and many many trips to/from the water. I use bungie cord to secure the cooler/drybox in place when using fishing, and lift & carry the SUP (approx 35 pounds) to/from the backyard/car/water and back and have not had a failure yet.
I
Old fugger who just likes to fish

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 09:03:19 AM »
I thought about a 12' or 12'6", but was afraid I would be kicking myself on long paddles like this:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AZ_tgA48sF41RQe35PenUPrbfiVKN_Cc&usp=sharing
That's about 10 miles each way and could be an overnight with lots of gear.  If the fishing is good (would be trolling) it would be longer circling back through schooling fish. It could be even longer on the way back if conditions change. You can go back inside if the pucker factor is too high outside.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 03:41:08 PM »
A cooler or crate on the rear of your Glide will be fine at your weight and you have nothing to worry about. I’m over 200 pounds and have put my large gear bag on the back of my Glide multiple times and it’s fine, and I sometimes sit on it for a break. It’s far worse performance paddling into a headwind with a cooler or large bag on front, and slows you down almost instantly in conditions.  I still alternate large load between front and back but prefer large Load behind me.It’s a matter of not having your gear too far forward or back imo.

Just slide the cooler up a bit so it’s closer to the Center of balance of the board. I  use NSI loops and they are bomber. I used a razor to cut away the deck pad and the NSI loops will conform to the curvature of the rails and won’t come off.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 03:50:22 PM by robon »

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 06:43:32 PM »
I was at or above 200 (peaked ~230) most of the last 10 years or so.  I have had a BMI below 25 for over 9 months now. I am committed to not getting big again - I donated all my L/XL clothes - but I have to admit there is a little "just in case" thinking in my decision to go with a big board. Mostly it is stability and cargo capacity, though; I am starting to get pretty confident. Still a hell of a lot of work; eating the right amount is not coming naturally to me.

It does make sense not to overload the front. I have a pretty big dry bag that I could put on the back when I do overnights. It's in amazing shape for its age; I bought it for a 3 week float through the Grand Canyon in the late 80s and it's still air tight. It's about the size of an iSUP pack.

I am going to try the strong suction cups to start with. I am not going to take a razor to my shiny new SUP until I am really sure it makes sense to and I know exactly where I want the attach points.

I am scheming about a possible paddle in early January; 7 hours south to visit my sister for a 3 day weekend maybe...

2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 07:34:58 AM »
My early January scheme actually got moved up to last weekend and I have paddled my new board. An afternoon of flat water and a good chunk of the next day in the surf and swells. Even in flat water without gear, I never need to be further forward than the back edge of the handle. Getting through breakers I was at the back of the pad. If conditions are bad enough that I need everything lashed down, I think I want cargo at the front of the pad and on the deck with the back open for me to move around. If I move stuff to the back, it will just be in conditions where a cooler can just sit there. I would still attach a safety line so it would stay nearby if it fell in, but I don't think I am going to worry about lash points in the back.

I didn't have much trouble at all with tracking, even with some wind. Turning into the wind was hard, but once I had a heading it sticks to it pretty well. I had some concern that having to swing the paddle up and over gear every time I switch sides would be a pain, but after paddling I don't think it is such a big deal. I can go straight paddling on just one side for about as long as I want with just an infrequent slight adjustment to sweep or draw a little on a stroke or two every now and then.

I cut a block of wood to slip into the ledge handle and turn sideways that has a loop of cord attached (see attached picture). I wrapped it in duct tape to make it snug and keep it from doing any damage. On my long drive I pulled it to the back of the handle and had a safety line from it to the hitch receiver while it was on the rack. I figured if I ever had to slam on the brakes really hard it would help ensure the board stopped also. When I load the board with gear, I think I will slide it forward and attach it the the front of my crate in the center and lash/strap the back corners of the crate to the bungee points closest to the pad. Nearly everything else will be in soft bags/coolers so I don't have to worry about scratching up the deck much.

This is great news to me. I don't think I really need to add any loops using glue or suction. I have a roughly 3' x 2' area for gear and about half of it is on the pad. I can put a net over all of it it until I am out well past the breakers.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal