Author Topic: need all-round board for lightweight male  (Read 5390 times)

WaaSup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
need all-round board for lightweight male
« on: September 22, 2018, 06:02:02 PM »
Hi I'm just starting out the sport but have progressed quickly and am looking for a fast touring/race board likely around 14' x 26-25".
Needs to be able to handle small chop/calm ocean (no pure flat water pls), preferably carbon. Will be using for 10-30km paddles.
Reason I'm asking here is because I'm only 55kg (5'7", slim build) and most manufactures build boards for larger people. 
I'm also curious what amateur female racers use.

I've tried the Amundson tr 12'6 so far but it's more oriented for flat waters.
Thanks

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: need all-round board for lightweight male
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 06:54:50 PM »
Welcome to the zone!

Have a look at this recent thread
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,33973.0.html

Should give you good info to start with so you can narrow it down
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 03:02:20 AM »
You need to demo some boards. It’s as simple as that.

I suspect you could go narrower than 25-26”.

See if you can demo a SIC RS 14x24, a Naish Maliko 14x24, a Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25.

At your weight, you might even be able to manage a SIC RS 14x23, since that design is so stable. It’s really important for long distance comfort to not only think about getting something that is stable enough so your legs aren’t taxed too much, but also try not to have a board that is wider than you need. It’s much easier and less tiring to get a technically good stroke with a narrower board, and this is especially the case with a person with narrower shoulders. So you must try some - there really is no substitute for trying a board yourself.

You are very lucky - you’ll probably be able to use the boards that a lot of us can only dream of being able to use!

WaaSup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 11:50:54 AM »
I should add, I won't be surfing since there's aren't any large waves around Vancouver, I'll catch tiny stuff from wake but thats about it (Tofino's too far- if I go I'll mainly just use a surf board).

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 03:48:36 PM »
You might want to take a look at the ONE SUP Evo (http://www.onestanduppaddle.com/boards%20page/Evo). They are great boards (I have two of them), they are available in widths from 23” to 28”, and best of all are available locally.

Good luck with your search.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

puget sound

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 07:31:39 PM »
Hey Vancouver, I was in a similar situation this summer, though I'm 50lbs heavier. After renting a few boards, I bought a used, 35lb, 12'6" Stand On Liquid board in July and planned to learn on that for as long as I could. A month later(!), I bought an SIC RS 14x26. It was not cheap but has been perfect for what I encounter in the Puget Sound. Lots of chop and fast tides, boat wake, down-breezers but no real "downwinders" so far, at least not compared to the stuff I read about. It's a blast to paddle. I'm stoked.

I'm 6' tall, 175lbs (79kg), with good balance but atrophied board skills. I grew up surfing and paddling canoes in California. The SIC RS @ 26" is plenty stable for me as a relative beginner. I could probably handle the next size narrower, but pivot turns, downwinding, cross-stepping, etc...these things are all new to me. I feel like this board is both high performance and forgiving enough for me to develop technique. You, at 55kg, might be happy with it or something even narrower.

My impression is that the board rides fairly high in the water at my weight and could handle a lot more turbulence than I have thrown at it. Yet it's still fast and fun on flatter days. Granted, I don't have much to compare it to. Hope that helps.

Starboard Sprint 21.5 / SIC RS 14x23 / SIC Bullet V1

JVM

• Halifax Paddlesurf
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Halifax Paddlesurf
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 02:07:58 PM »
Go see Deep Cove Kayak or call Escape Route in Squamish. They are both clearing out ONE boards (demo and new). The ONE EVO flat deck or EVO PRO dugout are both great boards designed to perform well in BC waters whether your racing, getting exercise or down winding.
DEALER FOR--------------------------------
INFINITY BOARDS
ONE STAND UP BOARDS
SUNOVA SUP
AXIS FOILS
VISSLA
ISURUS
BLACKFISH PADDLES
BLACK PROJECT FINS AND PADDLES

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 02:30:20 PM »
Maliko and Vapor could be just the ticket.
Kevin @ kalavida has both the 24" and 26" Maliko and Ecomarine has a 2016 Vapor that you should be able to negotiate for a decent price during the winter season.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

WaaSup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 09:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone, still demoing.
Tried the  14x25 EVO today indeed was good all round, but I think I'm needing something lighter...if that even exists. Though I don't know what the EVO weighs...can't find any specs on it. They didn't have the EVO PRO for demo.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 11:12:42 PM »
Check out Hood River’s Big Winds end of season sell off:

https://www.bigwinds.com/used-sup-boards?ps=36
 Some nice Sunovas
AND if you want the lightest, fastest board ever (yes, gauntlet time) they have a used SIC X14 Pro...
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 05:14:16 AM »
Yeah, although the SIC X14 is billed as a flat water board, actually it works in a wide range of conditions, even small downwind. I guess it’s Mark Raaphorst’s ocean background (and testing ground) showing through. The X14 pro is very fast and very light, and is a good board for a (fairly athletic) light person. The SIC handle makes it very easy to carry, too, and it looks and feels (and is) classy, somehow. It’s the kind of board that says “I know what I’m doing, so expect to find yourself trailing in my wake” ;)

WaaSup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »
Thanks again all, vapor (28lb), x14 (31-30lb), all seem to be on the heavier side. Maliko (24lb) and the RS (26" 26lb and 24.5" at 24.7lb) seems like a good route with .  Me at only 55kg, weight reduction is seemingly the best route for speed for me (since these boards are all pretty similar).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 10:31:50 AM by Vancouverdude »

JVM

• Halifax Paddlesurf
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Halifax Paddlesurf
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 11:19:53 AM »
Try getting a hold of Peter Allen in YVR. He's the sales manager for ONE/Blackfish Paddles and may have weights for you. The EVO/EVO PRO weight difference may be a wash. With the dugout boards more volume is added to the nose. They do offer an *ULTRALIGHT* CARBON LAYUP but I don't think anyone is bringing them in. Have you considered moving down to a 23" board. An EVO PRO dugout would be ideal for you. Nice low COG and narrow width would be wicked fast.

Peter can be reached through the Blackfish website or you can PM me and I will get you his details.
DEALER FOR--------------------------------
INFINITY BOARDS
ONE STAND UP BOARDS
SUNOVA SUP
AXIS FOILS
VISSLA
ISURUS
BLACKFISH PADDLES
BLACK PROJECT FINS AND PADDLES

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 12:13:16 PM »
Thanks again all, vapor (28lb), x14 (31-30lb), all seem to be on the heavier side. Maliko (24lb) and the RS (26" 26lb and 24.5" at 24.7lb) seems like a good route with .  Me at only 55kg, weight reduction is seemingly the best route for speed for me (since these boards are all pretty similar).
The X14 Pro is nowhere near 30-31lbs. You must be looking at the TWC (cheap) construction X14 14x28.5”. The narrower X14 Pro only came in the SCC carbon construction and was light. I think the X14 Pro-Lite was even smaller and lighter and was popular with serious female racers.

https://sicmaui.com/x-14-0-pro-lite-2015/

https://sicmaui.com/x-14-0-pro-scc/

It says there that the SIC X14 Pro was 24lbs. That’s very light for a production board.

The Ghost construction Bark Vapor is pretty light too.

So make sure you are looking at the right models. Many boards come in different constructions at different price points, and in general the expensive ones are noticeably and usefully lighter. The narrower boards are usually lighter too, so check the specs carefully for each individual model.

Btw, the 2018 Malikos and 2019 are nowhere near as light as you quote. They are noticeably heavier than eg. the SIC RS and Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder. They are well-built, but light they are not.

The 2017 ones were lighter but a bit fragile. So you’ve got to research the exact year too. Constructions change from year to year. So if weight is important to you, you’ll need to do some careful research to find out exactly what it is you are buying.

You should try a Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder. I had a 2017 model 14x23. It was crazy light and very durable, and was a pleasure to paddle. But I was too heavy for it, so I had to sell it. It would have been perfect if I was 55kgs, very fast in the flat but could cope with rough water no problem. If you could find one of those used or discounted it would probably suit you well and save you a lot of money.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:31:02 PM by Area 10 »

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 01:04:53 PM »
Hey Vancouver,

I’m also a little puzzled with some of the references you’ve made to weights of boards. As mentioned, I have two ONE SUP Evo’s, although both of mine are 12’ 6”. I always weigh and record the weight of any new board I purchase. The 12’ 6” x 26” weighed 23.2 pounds when I got it and the 12’ 6” x 24” weighed 22.4 pounds when I got it.

As a comparison, I used to own a 12’ 6” x 26” Lahui Kai, which had less volume than my same sized ONE SUP Evo, and the Lahui Kai weighed 25.8 pounds. This is versus the 23.2 pounds of the same sized ONE SUP.

And while I haven’t weighed a 14’ ONE SUP Evo, I did paddle the 14’ x 24” and certainly don’t remember it feeling heavy.

I hope this maybe gives you some perspective. I’d also echo the advice from JVM. Peter Allen is a good guy and he can help you out and will answer any questions you might have.

I should also add that even though my Evo weighs less than the Lahui Kai I had, the Evo is a much sturdier board. I liked the Lahui Kai, but just found it to be a very fragile board. And I'm someone who is pretty meticulous with my equipment. So by my way of thinking, the ONE SUPs are light, but still well made and sturdy.

One final thing. I have no affiliation with ONE SUP. I just really like their boards (especially my 24"). Mine has maybe a little bit more volume than I would personally like, but then I only weigh 150 pounds. But even with that, I still really like to paddle it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 01:14:26 PM by Quickbeam »
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal