Author Topic: How to SUP Foil video series  (Read 6930 times)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
How to SUP Foil video series
« on: September 22, 2018, 12:38:26 PM »
We just posted the first in a series of videos on "How to SUP Foil".
The next videos in this series will be: #2 catching a wave and lift off, #3 controlling height and speed, #4 pumping the foil, #5 turning the foil

I will post the other videos here once they are completed, I hope they will be helpful for those new to foiling:
https://youtu.be/OCB5W_bfTgY
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: How to SUP Foil video series
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 09:02:23 PM »
Great video. This is really helpful because these shorter boards tend to paddle in circles.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 10:30:08 AM »
Great Video Robert (as usual).  Interesting perspective(s) - Evan. 

We are realizing that there are HUGE advantages that come from 1) Knowing how to read the lineup and 2) Knowing how to paddle

aka I am paddling a 6' 6" board and have ZERO issue with yaw.  Never even thought about it. 

I may take my 9 years of SUP Surfing for granted EXCEPT for the fact that I have one of my kids and another friend that 'want to learn how to foil'

BOTH with NO SURFING and NO SUP'ing background.

You thought people got grief for learning to SUP in the line-up. 

What is going to happen when people are starting from scratch ON FOIL BOARDS.  WOOOOOAAAAAAA!   :o
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 10:35:33 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 11:52:41 AM »
We are realizing that there are HUGE advantages that come from 1) Knowing how to read the lineup and 2) Knowing how to paddle
aka I am paddling a 6' 6" board and have ZERO issue with yaw.  Never even thought about it. 

In this video I highlight the importance of:

PUTTING YOUR HAND IN FRONT OF THE OPPOSITE SHOULDER.

Robert is focusing on the Paddle's Angle to the Board.  However he is also extending his left hand well over his body in front of his right shoulder.  Robert is Regular footed.  Those of us who were trained to paddle properly may be taking this for granted.   

I am goofy footed and extend my Right hand over my left Shoulder.   This technique is also critical when attempting to catch the wave with your front foot in the straps. 
https://youtu.be/hN40OUh-eHM
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 11:59:16 AM by Beasho »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 06:27:12 PM »
^^^ At the :15 mark ^^^ This: "And then you put a little bit of weight on the left foot" (goofy footed)

Had plenty of beach discussions with others talking about putting a fin on/near the nose, or even "finlets" near the nose rocker by guys thinking the need them to paddle straight, and I have to remind them that they've got the biggest f'n "fin" they could ask for already hanging below their board.  :)

I just paddle in a modified surf/foil stance, and simply put enough "front side" rail pressure to counteract any yaw I might produce with any individual paddle stroke. Works as advertised... 8)

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 03:11:32 PM »

skideeppow

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 03:22:07 PM »
i use the crossover all the time when paddlling downriver.  You think that does not work on the foil?  I dont even live near any open water and only kite foil and wake foil.  But i am dying to surf foil once i get to the ocean.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 10:48:25 AM »
On my shorter boards, I combat yaw by doing a series of white trash maneuvers that may or may not be blessed by the gods. I do not care.

After kick turn wheelie deal and board pointing the right way....
1) I take one or two shorter grabs up towards the nose. These are quick 1-2 foot digs. Light digs, not heavy.. The stroke never goes past middle board(handle). These start about 6 inches closer towards the nose than my regular stroke.

2) While I am doing the light digs I lean the board in the water towards the dig. For example. Light dig left, while tilting board counter clockwise, or left. I believe this makes the left rail act more like a fin and gives it some tracking.. My friend told me this makes it yaw more, I disagree with him and call him a no good liar.

3) Last dig(s) before wave are longer and with more power. The longer digs allow me to do little quick unweight jumps that speed up the board.

I have tried what Kalama says and I feel like my wt technique works better for me.

-red

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 11:50:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.
Here is the part 2 of the How to SUP Foil series: Catching a wave:
https://youtu.be/0acB8F74k54
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 06:36:14 AM »
Super, Super, Super Helpful.

I wish you posted these 12 months ago!  Haaaa!

For those looking to use footstraps the foot positioning that Sam shows is KEY to learning how to takeoff.

1) Front foot HAS to be in the FRONT strap

2) Back foot hovering, or sitting directly on top of, and in front of rear strap

If the wave is BIG keep the foot in front of the strap until you fly out into the flats or out on to the shoulder.  If it is SMALL you can afford to put your foot in early at the top of the wave and FLY FREE! 

I measure BIG as 5 foot faces or more.  AND they have to be SOFT'r SLOPEY faces or you're cooked.

Sam shows it here:
https://youtu.be/0acB8F74k54?t=392
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 06:37:58 AM by Beasho »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 11:07:28 AM »
We just posted part 3 of this series which is about flying the foil, maintaining speed and staying on the sloping part of the wave.  Beginners often don't angle down the line enough, outrun the wave, get into the flats and drop off the foil.
Parts 4 and 5 coming soon!

https://youtu.be/lJX0jZa-CIE
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 08:57:54 PM »
Thanks so much! Worth watching multiple times.

Cheers!

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 01:42:17 PM »
Robert and Sam, awesome video series, i am learning a lot. 

Newb here with around 10 sessions under my belt.  I am starting to feel comfortable paddling for the wave and catching it.  One thing i just noticed in the second video, both you and Sam mentioned weighting and unweighting the foil when paddling for the wave and then engaging the foil.  When I am catching the wave, it feels as if the foil is engaging as I am dropping down the wave face. 

Can you elaborate more on the weighting/unweighting part when paddling for a wave?  Will this help me to catch waves earlier?

Thanks!!

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »
Robert and Sam, awesome video series, i am learning a lot. 

Newb here with around 10 sessions under my belt.  I am starting to feel comfortable paddling for the wave and catching it.  One thing i just noticed in the second video, both you and Sam mentioned weighting and unweighting the foil when paddling for the wave and then engaging the foil.  When I am catching the wave, it feels as if the foil is engaging as I am dropping down the wave face. 

Can you elaborate more on the weighting/unweighting part when paddling for a wave?  Will this help me to catch waves earlier?

Thanks!!

Basically you can start to hop up and down on the board while you are paddling for the wave before you have enough speed for liftoff. 
I learned this from downwind foiling where you have very little push from the bumps and need to create lift from almost nothing.  If you time the pumping/ un-weighing of the foil right (unweigh the board during power phase of stroke) with the slight acceleration from the bump, you can engage the foil and lift off at much lower speeds than when you just use the board speed from catching a steeper wave to lift the foil.  Once you get this figured out you can catch and ride waves on a foil that you would be unable to catch on a regular SUP.   It also helps to catch waves further out and avoid the steep takeoffs that are tricky on a foil. 
You want to basically try to increase the speed of the water flowing over the foil by hopping up and down and reduce drag by getting the foil to lift the board out of the water.  You can push down on the paddle and put more of your body weight on the paddle during the power phase and lift up your legs at the same time to help take weight off the board and foil.  I hope that makes sense, you just have to practice it a lot to figure it out. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 09:50:40 AM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 11:50:51 AM »
Robert, thanks for the explanation, I think I get it.

I will try this out tomorrow, swell has dropped off so hopefully this technique will help with the fading swell.  Thanks again!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal