Author Topic: anyone else here done ketamine for depression, ptsd, etc?  (Read 6562 times)

supthecreek

Re: anyone else here done ketamine for depression, ptsd, etc?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 07:15:08 AM »
Linter, whenever I surf in Rhody, I ask about you.
For what it's worth, I always enjoy the time I get to spend with you!

Keep posting... you have a great way with words and make thoughtful contributions.

also... I hope those treatments never become street available (which they will)
they sound like a pleasant release, that many would chose on an all too regular basis.

They do sound perfect for end stage Alzheimer's.

When I used to regularly practice Transcendental  Meditation, I would enter into similar timeless relaxation.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 12:49:41 PM »
I tend to doubt the depression diagnosis myself.....I have been depressed but I don't think I have depression. I'm depressed because I'm being forced to retire and because it gets old feeling the way I do. But the only reason I might not want to get out of bed sometimes is because my head is exploding and the world is spinning. That does depress me but it's not caused by depression..if you know what I mean. I don't want a drug to change how I feel unless that feeling has no underlying cause and has gotten out of control....like the anxiety. I can't imagine what depression and anxiety combined running amok must feel like....no wonder it causes suicide in so many.

I really don't like taking any drugs. I'm being very careful with the Xanax....I have to have exhausted other means of getting away from the anxiety 1st before taking it but that ain't easy. It's SO overwhelming. I'd even like to stop using weed medicinally. I'm not much of a drinker, never have been. I smoked recreationally when I was younger and enjoyed it. I wish I could simply enjoy it occasionally now but any fun that comes from using greatly reduced when you have to use it.

rick...these drugs are already available on the streets...have been all along.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 12:52:56 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 03:01:02 PM »
It's being a bit widely used considering the relatively recent use as anything but a club drug and euthanasia for pets. There are some concerns that it works the way it does is because it's acting as an opioid. That's probably not a concern for someone getting relief from the drug, but it might be a longer term issue. Worth examining the literature available anyway. I like this online magazine--they tend to cover interesting and timely issues with a scientific focus that's still reasonably light. Sort of like Quanta without the math. They recently had a couple of articles about Ketamines and depression. I can't find the second one. https://www.inverse.com/article/48484-is-ketamine-safe-and-effective
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2018, 07:55:18 PM »
Oh man, worlds collide. Gaia is a client of mine and that title shows up in my demos all the time. Hilarious to see that after a long day of work.

All I can offer here is to not go it alone and don’t minimize any condition. Too many people out there suffering. That’s not to say over react or over medicate, but take care of yourselves and don’t use Dr. Internet.

Often people suffering from depression don’t show signs that we’d interpret as such and certainly not over text on the internet. Stay connected to those around you everyone.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 03:08:58 AM »
for my close family members with depression, talk therapy has been immensely helpful--expensive! so the "industry" talks it down in favor of meds

and i am not anti-meds, i am med-resistant, in favor of talk therapy---sometimes both are indicated, but first, most important step, imho, is talk therapy

expensive! but money well spent, if youre talking about loved ones

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 07:48:58 AM »
I was truly blown away by how helpful just talking to someone is. I think we all tend to live inside ourselves thinking "I got this" a bit too long. I certainly did. My GP had me see someone. 3 sessions with her, 1 with my wife there. I was shocked at how it changed how I felt. It's not like I don't have people in my life to talk to. My wife is my best friend, my daughters are both kind and caring, my family is as supportive as you can get. But talking to her was different...not sure I can even explain how.

I also had an evaluation done on the order of my neurologist (I'm so @#$%ing sick of seeing doctor's.. >:( ) She was an absolute flake....my wife came with me to discuss memory and let her know what she had seen. My wife was rolling her eyes the whole time and after asked me WTF she was on. Really bizarre lady and I could tell that 1/2 the time she wasn't paying attention. But at least the test was just a standardized thing she couldn't mess up....at least I don't think she could. I know I didn't and still don't agree with her immediate reaction that there's no cognition/memory issue. I know there are memory issues....I don't feel any less intelligent, but I know I can't coordinate my mind anymore.
Bob

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 09:20:07 AM »
Look up research having to do the use of psilocybin(mushrooms) for the treatment of depression, anxiety, PTSD and depression associated with terminal illness.  I believe it originates from centers such as Imperial College, London, Tufts University and others I can not recall at this time.  Success is off the charts when compared to present pharmaceutical regimens.  Long term benefits from a single dose.   I have personally  seen it work wonders with many. 

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 03:10:28 PM »
The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Maryland is doing a lot of psilocybin research.

There have also been a lot of new books out on the subject. A fairly recent one is the #1 best seller "How to change your mind" by Michael Pollan.
Everyone should read this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Change-Your-Mind-Consciousness-Transcendence/dp/1594204225

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whmnx_Cb5ts

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:22:15 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 06:38:25 AM »
Since it was mentioned (PTSD) ... I learned after digging, most people do not dream having taken a dose of THC/CBD before bed.  I was always under the impression that prodigious dreaming was beneficial.  Not my situation, but I gather people who have frequent night terrors or PTSD, however that's defined, really enjoy that bit of relief. I am skeptical of many of the claims for MM, but I can attest it's a dream killer.

Jim

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »
CBD actually promotes dreaming. THC decreases REM but prolomgs deep sleep.  The dreaming is reduced due to this.  It does help with nightmares that come along with PTSD. 
Thc and cbd are essentially antagonistic, this is why the ratio between the two are important  when considering strains and oils.   
Deep.sleep is better for recovery and when you are sick.  Interrupting the sleep cycles is probably not a good thing long term. 

Wim hof breath cycle and cold helped my ptsd more than anything.   DMT and mushrooms in small.doses seems to have the widest range of positive effects.

We have receptors for cannabinoids in all.of our mammalian cells, id say its a crucial part of homeostasis.  We produce our own dmt each night we sleep.  Fungus is a major part of our biology as well.  I personally see far more remedies coming from these natural pathways than anything Big Pharm has to offer

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 02:10:17 PM »
Well, GFN... If one is supposed to potentiate the other ...my experience (a study of one) is they may nullify.  I am not interested in the 'high', so I have not been awake when it kicked in, so I don't know about that part, but I neither dreamed nor sensed analgesic relief.  I also tried 14:1 tablets during the day, with a similar lack of effect.

If it helps folks with depression or PTSD the least bit, I am 100% for it.  I just hope for their sake it is not mostly placebo.

Jim

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 10:19:17 AM »
Posted on Bookface, but I know nothing about it.
It takes a quiver to do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal