Author Topic: The GoPro Hero 7 is here!  (Read 3304 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
The GoPro Hero 7 is here!
« on: September 20, 2018, 05:25:02 PM »
For just $400 you can have the latest and greatest GoPro Hero. I thought it said 240 fps for super slow mo..... No new Sessions though:(
Great promo!!!!

https://youtu.be/G9KDqfpCgws

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The GoPro Hero 7 is here!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 07:26:41 PM »
The Session has been end of lifed. Gone. (Look for deals on them!)

The stabilization is amazing. I’m so sick of super Sharey GoPro footage. Hope everyone buys one lol.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 08:18:32 PM »
unfortunately no improvement in battery life :(
in progress...

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 02:23:42 AM »
Nice...looks pretty sweet.

Bummer on the Session - at a couple of times the size of pool chalk that camera's a winner!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 03:43:33 AM »
Yeah, I'm hoping my Session holds out for awhile, but considering I had to return it twice for overheating, I'm not too optimistic.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 05:24:16 AM »
Well my Session is down for the count. It will not turn on and all measures to alleviate this, short of returning it, do nothing.

My Hero4 with additional battery pack are gone in the wind with my daughter, to far away to borrow.

So cameraless I have been sniffing about the offerings in the action zone, from the Hero7 to other brands.  It is a disappointing situation that after all these years the options and advancement seem so limiting.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 07:56:15 AM »
I suspect the Session is just too small for the amount of power it needs to do all that processing. A cube is good for volume but bad for heat rejection. Some little cameras, like the Moka, have a chunk of metal on the back that seems to be a heat sink. With all the stuff the GoPro7 is doing, the processing requirements and the power demands must both generate a lot of heat and limit battery life. These cameras used to be simple, the original Hero was just a cheap Chinese camera and a waterproof case. No longer true. It's not easy to build all these capabilities. I'll probably buy a new 7 Black, just because.

Totally stupid, I won't use it that much, but wow, what a feature list.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 01:37:30 PM »
I suspect the Session is just too small for the amount of power it needs to do all that processing. A cube is good for volume but bad for heat rejection. Some little cameras, like the Moka, have a chunk of metal on the back that seems to be a heat sink. With all the stuff the GoPro7 is doing, the processing requirements and the power demands must both generate a lot of heat and limit battery life. These cameras used to be simple, the original Hero was just a cheap Chinese camera and a waterproof case. No longer true. It's not easy to build all these capabilities. I'll probably buy a new 7 Black, just because.

Their new GoPro 'Quik' editing software tries to create your video for you, but it crashed every time I tried to use it. I use the GoPro Studio and Magix editing software. The Magix Pro has a lot more editing options that I'm still learning to use, but it is similar to GoPro Studio. I edit the video I take with my phone and GoPro in the same program.
It's not overhead to me!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »
Yeah, TallDude, bummer about the crashes. I expect that very soon the desktop editing for free from GoPro will be gone and replaced with a cloud only version.

Anyone serious will go Premiere and GP can do way better editing via AI with a nice hefty cloud cluster behind it. We’ve already gone way beyond the quality level any regular human needs so even downrezzed it won’t hurt the look.

I’m staggered at what they can put in these things Pono. Batteries and heat are the only th8ngs holding us back from everything being the size of a watch, or smaller.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 10:27:51 PM »
I think the session is the best gopro.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 02:57:52 AM »

Their new GoPro 'Quik' editing software tries to create your video for you, but it crashed every time I tried to use it. I use the GoPro Studio and Magix editing software. The Magix Pro has a lot more editing options that I'm still learning to use, but it is similar to GoPro Studio. I edit the video I take with my phone and GoPro in the same program.

Agreed, Quik is worthless other than uploading and having a quick watch of your videos.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 09:12:39 AM »
I think the session is the best gopro.
Unless it does not work and returning it for a fix after guarantee is only option.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 11:08:52 AM »
For those of you that use the regular GoPro instead of the Session, do you paddle mount it? Seems like that extra 30 g or so and form factor would be a pain paddling.

Any comments?

I'm just hoping my Session doesn't die. Although the Gopro 7 Black is tempting.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 11:33:13 AM »
Just an update, my heavy duty Kook Hat mount worked perfect for surfing. I didn't notice the extra weight or size even diving under a wave. It stayed tight and worked great. I'll make a short video of my session soon.
It's not overhead to me!

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 12:11:58 PM »
The mouth mount is the easiest for me. The kook hat seems to work well too.

Some guys get great snippets from the paddle mount but for me it didn’t work at all. It was not so much the weight as much as trying to hold it in weird positions.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal