Author Topic: I need to remember to bring my rod  (Read 10690 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
I need to remember to bring my rod
« on: September 17, 2018, 10:28:12 PM »
I saw a guy land a big one yesterday and this kid was hooking some baby bonitos off the beach today. I paddled right over a baitball they were tearing into.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: I need to remember to bring my rod
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 04:47:26 AM »
I've paddled over a large bait ball of 4" finger mullet which were getting hit by a large school of spanish mackerel down at Surfside, Tx. I've thought about jerry rigging a used milk crate and outfitting it with two, 24" long PVC pipes to act as rocket rod holders.

Then two spinning rods in them and use as bait, two artificial hard baits which look like 4" finger mullet. Then troll when I'm paddling. I would put the milk crate in front of me towards the nose of my board. Should work. Hard part is securing the milk crate down on the board.

The spanish mackerel at Surfside are pretty good sized. Most are between 22"-29" in length. The Texas bag limit on smacks is 15. Quite a few people don't like the taste of "smacks", but I do.

Since the season of Fall is on our doorstep, the water temperature is now dropping, from 87 degrees to 81 degrees thanks to Invest 95L and soon, the smacks will head out farther into the Gulf where the water is warm all year round. The smacks will return in droves to the beachfront next year when the water temperature hits and stays at 75 degrees F.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 09:08:34 AM »
I made up a backpack fishing rig out of an old hydration pack. I put an ultralight in it and a small tackle box. I can just reach over my shoulder to grab the rod and can even troll with it that way. No excuse really, I just put it in my truck so I can't forget anymore.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 10:05:34 AM »
used to fly fish from my canoe in the LI sound (til a storm took my canoe)--so nice to paddle right into a boil--occasionally would hook a blue in it's body, water was so thick with fish

and ill eat blues, which many gag at discussion of--gotta get em on ice asap, and on a searing hot grill within hours of catch

love eating stripers, too--who doesnt? i was sad to learn they are very mercury heavy
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 10:27:41 AM »
...love eating stripers, too--who doesnt? i was sad to learn they are very mercury heavy

Especially the Hudson River stock - for obvious reasons. 

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 11:46:48 AM »
Here's a link for the Hudson River fish safety, including stripers. Apparently they are okay on a limited basis.

https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2794.pdf
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 12:59:42 PM »
i dunno icky--one 6oz serving per month allowed for men and women over 50?--and never ever feed to children or women of child-bearing age? seems a pretty toxic fish.

the other thing with fish iis that it's not the fish, it's the chemicals---so if in a given month you eat one serving each of 10 offending species of fish, youre eating 10x the monthly allowable amt.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 01:25:41 PM »
Yeah, I get it. I wish the fish were better here. Apparently the shad — when they run — are fine because they don't spend much time in the river. I hope this gets better over time. All that damn pollution has a life of its own.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 06:08:51 PM »
The bottom sludge of most American rivers is thick with heavy metals. It's gotten much better than it used to be though. Much of the work I did in the early years of my career was industrial pretreatment....scary understanding what was happening before. Later I did a lot of CSO related work. The improvements on both the industrial and municipal sides have been dramatic but we had so many years of abuse.

I eat Blues too EB....if I eating it I filet them the minute I catch them, get all the fat and skin off the meat and ice it. I use to bring a fish in to my friend Sandy who owned the clam shack on the beach. She's old world Italian. She would sautee it with butter and lots of garlic...bluefish scampi...squeeze a lemon over it with a chunk of crusty Italian and an ice cold beer..... :) :)
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 09:06:44 PM »
That sounds pretty good. Of course, you could do that with any derelict thing and it would taste good.

The NSI stick on loops will hold a milk crate rig easily--it's the standard board fishing setup--people even sell set up crates with all kinds of gegaws, but a cheap Walmart crate works fine with PVC rod holders.

I didn't fish at all this year. The fall Chinook are still running. Maybe I should go poach a few.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 04:36:38 AM »
The bottom sludge of most American rivers is thick with heavy metals. It's gotten much better than it used to be though. Much of the work I did in the early years of my career was industrial pretreatment....scary understanding what was happening before. Later I did a lot of CSO related work. The improvements on both the industrial and municipal sides have been dramatic but we had so many years of abuse.

Stoney, maybe you could help me understand an issue we're dealing with on the Hudson. It's that GE mess with the PCBs on the bottom of the river. There are arguments for and against dredging up the polluted sediment. The pro argument is that it gets the stuff out of the river. The con side is that it costs a lot and some of the polluted sediment will make its way down the river. My gut tends to say “Get the stuff out of the river,” but since you have some direct experience, I'd like to hear what you think.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 06:29:11 AM »
...The bottom sludge of most American rivers is thick with heavy metals. It's gotten much better than it used to be though...
Over time the heavy metals have natuarally settled into the bottom and layers of material have deposited on top, masking much of the toxins.  But, as ships get larger (for example, to make room for the larger New-Panamax vessels), our ports need to be dredged.  While most of the focus seems to have been focused on where to deposit the toxic dreged material on land, the process also stirs up the toxins in the water. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 06:35:47 AM »
Those are the common argument for and against. I know that in most places they are just leaving it and letting nature cover up the mess. Cheapest obviously and maybe the best we can do. Think about what it would take to remove the bottom sludge from a river and then treat the stuff. Leaving it and it gets covered pretty quickly but its always there and its effects will be felt for generations. Bottom feeders and shellfish are the most immediately affected and the metals get concentrated the higher you go in the food chain.

There are technical solutions to all these problems...but its $$$$$$$$

The city of New Bedford had a LOT of metal plating industry. I did an environmental risk evaluation for a client on one of the old mills. Absolutely scary.....metal support columns in the basement had been eaten away by acids. 2' wide drainage channel in the floor with plating bath wastes...heavy metals and nasty toxins. The bottom had been eaten away and it was just gravel...seeping straight into the ground and out into the river. Client didn't buy...place was shut down and demolished....brownfield reclamation.
Bob

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 07:05:32 PM »
Thanks Stoney. I appreciate your point of view on this. It so often comes down to money in the end.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM