Stand Up Paddle > Fish Tales, Stand Up style

I need to remember to bring my rod

(1/3) > >>

stoneaxe:
I saw a guy land a big one yesterday and this kid was hooking some baby bonitos off the beach today. I paddled right over a baitball they were tearing into.

Night Wing:
I've paddled over a large bait ball of 4" finger mullet which were getting hit by a large school of spanish mackerel down at Surfside, Tx. I've thought about jerry rigging a used milk crate and outfitting it with two, 24" long PVC pipes to act as rocket rod holders.

Then two spinning rods in them and use as bait, two artificial hard baits which look like 4" finger mullet. Then troll when I'm paddling. I would put the milk crate in front of me towards the nose of my board. Should work. Hard part is securing the milk crate down on the board.

The spanish mackerel at Surfside are pretty good sized. Most are between 22"-29" in length. The Texas bag limit on smacks is 15. Quite a few people don't like the taste of "smacks", but I do.

Since the season of Fall is on our doorstep, the water temperature is now dropping, from 87 degrees to 81 degrees thanks to Invest 95L and soon, the smacks will head out farther into the Gulf where the water is warm all year round. The smacks will return in droves to the beachfront next year when the water temperature hits and stays at 75 degrees F.

stoneaxe:
I made up a backpack fishing rig out of an old hydration pack. I put an ultralight in it and a small tackle box. I can just reach over my shoulder to grab the rod and can even troll with it that way. No excuse really, I just put it in my truck so I can't forget anymore.

eastbound:
used to fly fish from my canoe in the LI sound (til a storm took my canoe)--so nice to paddle right into a boil--occasionally would hook a blue in it's body, water was so thick with fish

and ill eat blues, which many gag at discussion of--gotta get em on ice asap, and on a searing hot grill within hours of catch

love eating stripers, too--who doesnt? i was sad to learn they are very mercury heavy

Bean:

--- Quote from: eastbound on September 18, 2018, 10:05:34 AM ---...love eating stripers, too--who doesnt? i was sad to learn they are very mercury heavy

--- End quote ---

Especially the Hudson River stock - for obvious reasons. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version