Author Topic: Two wings better than one... Bi-wings anyone???  (Read 2870 times)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Two wings better than one... Bi-wings anyone???
« on: September 16, 2018, 04:47:04 PM »
I was wondering does anyone have, or is anyone experimenting with a Bi-wing foils for surfing and Downwind? 

If i remember correctly from A&P school bi-wing aircraft where able to fly at slower speeds, be- lighter, and be more responsive. All of which could be good things for small waves and down-winding. It wouldn't have to look like Bi-plane, but more like the size of a small horizontal stabilizer, a few inches above the main wing.  Could be some advantages over single-wing foils.

1. A smaller second wing could give the same lift as a single larger wing, while being more maneuverable.
Example  instead of a 220lb man riding a Gofoil 280 he could ride a IWA Or Kai instaed with the upper bi-wing and have the same lift. Changing the upper bi-wing size, for changing conditions instead of changing the main wing.

2. A smaller second wing above the main could act like a "breach warning" without a complete stall.
In other words when the smaller upper wing breaches, it loses it's lift, while the main wing maintains it's lift, lowering the surfer without totally crashing. (at least that's my theory :)

3. Different size smaller second wings could allow less expenses and more portable equipment fix-ability.

4. Thinking a upper bi-wing could be made to attach to the mast, and not be brand specific...

I'm just thinking out loud and would like to hear others thoughts on this.

SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Two wings better than one... Bi-wings anyone???
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 05:46:33 PM »
If you can get #2 to work, and not just in theory (which does sound plausible btw)....I'm in!!  :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:34:53 PM »
Hi

Canadian company crazyfoil.com has a low speed foil with two front wings.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 06:41:47 PM »
Plenty of examples. the sophisticated ones are crazy sexy, but would be insane to build. How's this look?:

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:16:24 PM »
If you can get #2 to work, and not just in theory (which does sound plausible btw)....I'm in!!  :)

Yeah, if only #2 worked it would be good enough for many. Just a small little wing may be able to do that.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 07:23:55 PM »
Pono, that thing looks crazy cool.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 04:50:15 AM »
Been working on a smaller top wing mainly to decrease lift as one approaches breaching height which I hope acts as an automatic altitude control.  Have only made the wing and am trying to construct an adjustable connection to the mast.  I'm not really sure what the proper height will be above the main wing so the adjustability is probably necessary.  Not only must it be height adjustable. but being able to adjust AoA may also come in handy.   We'll see?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 06:25:06 AM »
Laddered foils have been around a long time on powerboats--mostly military. The purpose is to decrease drag and porposing, but of course they would work to prevent breaching. You could also do what the Moths and other vessels do and use a surface skimmer attached to a bellcrank to change AOA.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 01:45:43 PM »
Been working on a smaller top wing mainly to decrease lift as one approaches breaching height which I hope acts as an automatic altitude control.  Have only made the wing and am trying to construct an adjustable connection to the mast.  I'm not really sure what the proper height will be above the main wing so the adjustability is probably necessary.  Not only must it be height adjustable. but being able to adjust AoA may also come in handy.   We'll see?

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

If it works like i think it can, id bet someone who wanted too could grow a good size market there for it, especially if it could mount on any brand mast.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 11:44:05 PM »
Saw this on the seabreeze forum

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal