Author Topic: Foiling with Zane  (Read 1427 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Foiling with Zane
« on: October 08, 2018, 04:40:57 PM »
Had the opportunity to foil, meet up, and talk with Zane, and he's added to my list of "The Good Guys of the Sport". So down to earth, friendly, easy going, and full of stoke. Oh, and he foils pretty good as well. 

I'm sure others must have seen it before, but it was a first for me, and hadn't read about it here so here goes....

Several of us are standing outside just waiting for the next set, and here comes Zane pumping his 6'9" HN at warp speed, and since he had nothing to connect to outside of us....he somehow throws the thing up into the air, and does a complete 360o, lands the board, and then turns to paddle towards us to chat. :o Wow!!

Eventually I think his go-go energy got the best of him, and seeing a little bump forming on the outside he decides it's time to foil. Now I guess it would have been too pedestrian to just paddle out towards it like the rest of us mortals, so he starts digging with his paddle as he begins pumping his board (that's a good 6" to a foot underwater btw), and after maybe a dozen paddle strokes, and pumps...he's up on the foil, and pumping out to the incoming swell, hops on it, and carves it up like he's on a short SUP board, I think forgetting that he had a foil screwed into the bottom of it.

I had to sit down and take a rest just watching him.  ;) ;D  We shared a wave a little later on, and it was a blast following him, and having the best seat in the house to watch him do his thing.  8)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foiling with Zane
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 05:27:33 PM »
Yeah, it's exhausting just talking to him sometimes. He's been that way for as long as I've known him. He was a Grom when we did the Ke Nalu SUP board test in 2007 (I started Ke Nalu as an online magazine). Zane showed up at oh-dark-thirty and started running around putting fins on the boards we were going to test--about forty or fifty of them. It was barely light and Zane was bugging me and anyone else who looked remotely official to let him take boards out. We had some paperwork to explain, waivers to get signed, etc. He was vibrating in place. We finally let him go, it was too painful to watch that much contained energy, and he RAN boards into and out of the water, all day. Tried every board at least once, most twice. Very serious about it. He'd run in, grab the evaluation paperwork, write up his thoughts, and bam, gone. We served lunch, he vacuumed up a substantial amount and dashed back out. He, Connor and Ashley Baxter, Slater Trout, and a couple of other Maui groms were incredible. They had a blast all day, stuck around to help us clean up and load up. and then disappeared. Poof, off to do something else with all that remaining energy.

I barely made it home without falling asleep.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 05:29:47 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foiling with Zane
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »
Makes me sad that I don got none.  Getn ole suks.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal