Author Topic: Glad I didn't buy a place in Wilmington, NC.  (Read 7917 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Glad I didn't buy a place in Wilmington, NC.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 10:24:43 AM »
gnma and fnma dont insure--they do require insurance for loans to conform to standards for mortgage pooling and securitization--they are implicitly backed by the us government, something that annoys the big banks who complain they cant compete--despite that the big banks in 2009 were recipients of the biggest bailout of rich guys in suits in the history of the world! and they all got their huge $$ bonuses, uninterrupted!

our fine country's national flood insurance program is a disgraceful massive freebee for wealthy folk who own pricey flood-prone waterfront real estate--most of which is anything but primary residence

we normal taxpayers pay most of their flood insurance costs (the program is nearly bankrupt!surprise!)

and the subsidy feeds beautifully on itself--cheap insurance incents that developers build more and more on stupid flood prone land--which floods, gets rebuilt at taxpayer expense, and then floods again! rinse, repeat. perfect

i wont bother mentioning the complicity of climate change in all this--since we dont believe in climate change
Unique to flood insurance, FEMA reimburses the insurance companies for all their legal fees fighting against flood insurance claims. Because they're being reimbursed, the insurers will put two top attorneys on each claim. The homeowners rarely get anything to re-build. On the flip side, they probably shouldn't re-build because it's just going to flood again eventually. New homes are being elevated above projected rising tides and rivers, but projected how far? The repaired flooded out homes become rentals, which is what is happening in Houston. In Houston they built tracts of homes in designated flood basins. The city zoning / planning department has been driven by greed.     
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 01:18:19 PM »
Before you rush in - you might want to give the Sun some time to disinfect.   Here's just one paragraph on a long story about the hazards.

“People see their neighbors floating in kayaks and small boats and think, ‘How can the water be dangerous? It looks just like a lake.’ ” Persse said. But that water is often a toxic chemical stew of all the organic matter people have flushed down their toilets and sinks, along with the contents of cleaning supplies under their sink, paint cans and chemicals from their garages. Hurricane Katrina in 2005 sent exhumed corpses floating through neighborhoods."     That's just about humans...

How many 'Hog Lagoons' are over their banks? How many are there in the affected area?  This single farm is a city of 12,000 with no waste treatment.

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/howfactoryfarmsdisposeof12000hogsworth-140123111820-phpapp02/95/the-disgusting-ways-factory-farms-dispose-of-12000-hogs-worth-of-waste-4-1024.jpg?cb=1390479458

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 05:29:46 AM »
uggggh

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Scallop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 06:45:34 AM »
So true...... I'm a hazardous waste disposal professional and storm related business has unfortunately been good in recent times.

My company has me on standby to deploy currently waiting for the water to go down. Will be rounding up and packing out scattered chemicals,  addressing chemical hazards, etc. when I get in there.

Water sends materials everywhere, we're still cleaning out some of the waterways in the Keys.

Anyone in the area I hope you fared well...

Sunova Steeze 9'6"
NSP Coco Flax Allrounder 10'11"
NSP Elements Allrounder 10'11"
Surftech 10'6"

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 07:43:43 AM »
Before you rush in - you might want to give the Sun some time to disinfect.   Here's just one paragraph on a long story about the hazards.

“People see their neighbors floating in kayaks and small boats and think, ‘How can the water be dangerous? It looks just like a lake.’ ” Persse said. But that water is often a toxic chemical stew of all the organic matter people have flushed down their toilets and sinks, along with the contents of cleaning supplies under their sink, paint cans and chemicals from their garages. Hurricane Katrina in 2005 sent exhumed corpses floating through neighborhoods."     That's just about humans...

How many 'Hog Lagoons' are over their banks? How many are there in the affected area?  This single farm is a city of 12,000 with no waste treatment.

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/howfactoryfarmsdisposeof12000hogsworth-140123111820-phpapp02/95/the-disgusting-ways-factory-farms-dispose-of-12000-hogs-worth-of-waste-4-1024.jpg?cb=1390479458

Jim

Hog lagoons?   :o
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 08:30:14 AM »
So true...... I'm a hazardous waste disposal professional and storm related business has unfortunately been good in recent times.

My company has me on standby to deploy currently waiting for the water to go down. Will be rounding up and packing out scattered chemicals,  addressing chemical hazards, etc. when I get in there.

Water sends materials everywhere, we're still cleaning out some of the waterways in the Keys.

Anyone in the area I hope you fared well...
I too, make my living in this "Dirty Job" profession.  Our company just completed a permit for a wastewater treatment plant in the SF Bay area for handling what is strangely referred to as "nuisance water" (stormwater with oily sheen, solids, or sewage that accumulates or has the potential to flow offsite).  We'll be able to neutralize, remove residual oil, and drop out solids and discharge relatively clean water for reuse through the sanitary sewer system.  Cost for the permit to help local business and government handle problem water correctly?... A cool 3.7 million for the permit alone from the City.  And people wonder why business is leaving California.  Hopefully there are some sane people in NC with similar operations.

Stay safe in those swamps if you get deployed.  I hear it's humid as hell right now.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 09:34:03 AM »
slatch--i am confused (surprise!)

does your company operate a wastewater treatment plant for SF, under contract?

and your company had to pay the city 3.7 large to get its permit?

or does your company secure permits for client companies?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 01:11:51 PM »

Jim

Hog waste lagoons, IOW shit pits.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 05:26:16 PM »

Jim

Hog waste lagoons, IOW shit pits.

That stinks.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 05:48:07 AM »
Here's one headline: A swine farm with 5,000 animals produces as much fecal waste as a city of 50,000 people

Here's the NC specific report link:  http://www.riverlaw.us/realhogfacts.html

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 09:19:30 AM »
does your company operate a wastewater treatment plant for SF, under contract?

and your company had to pay the city 3.7 large to get its permit?

or does your company secure permits for client companies?
  • We run a private treatment operation for nuisance water in Hayward, CA., but the customers are private industries and municipalities attempting to comply with stormwater discharge requirements.
  • 3.7M to the city of Hayward after 3+ years of negotiation, legal wrangling, and capitulation to the city of Hayward.
  • We have engineers and former Regional Water Quality Control Board staff on our team, but there is nothing easy, streamlined, enjoyable, or cheap about the process.  Whether the operation of the treatment plant financially viable has yet to be determined.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »
thx----sounds complicated, and perhaps futched up with politician involvement

but the mission is clearly important--not sure how to enforce without gov't/political involvement--like were govt not to require the treatment, would industry choose to treat without gov't prompting?? doubt it---otoh, once gov't is charged with defining rules/standards, and enforcing such, bureaucrats gather and shit gets inefficient, if not corrupt---not sure how to fix, bc without gov't dictating that water needs to be treated, i dont see businesses voluntarily doing so---yet involvement of gov't makes process slow and expensive--catch 22

hope things work out with the plant

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 05:17:30 PM »
You're over-complicating it Eastbound. State and feds mandate treatment and provide requirements without implementation suggestions (often ignoring the limits of technology). Companies attempt to comply, which means dealing with LOCAL governments. Ka-Ching. Regulators regulate without concern for cost or value.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

funkart

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 06:38:23 PM »
Jeeze.... sell your home at a market high
make a good decison on where NOT to buy
I gotta start hanging out with you!

ps.... I drive 2.5 hours to surf all the time.... sometimes 4 days a week, when Rhode Island is better than Cape Cod.
2 days last week, awesome waves!

Plus, you have a nice drive to the beach... life is good!
........ I supped RI last week ....... yes awesome!! ..... Mary's on Wednesday!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:44:41 PM by funkart »

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2018, 08:57:20 AM »
You're over-complicating it Eastbound. State and feds mandate treatment and provide requirements without implementation suggestions (often ignoring the limits of technology). Companies attempt to comply, which means dealing with LOCAL governments. Ka-Ching. Regulators regulate without concern for cost or value.
I've never heard a better summary.

Zoo, how's your area doing now?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal