Author Topic: A heavy duty version of the Creek Kook Hat mount  (Read 3215 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
A heavy duty version of the Creek Kook Hat mount
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:07:16 AM »
The FCS surf hat like the one Creek uses for his GoPro Session doesn't have enough strength in the visor to support my GoPro Hero5. So here is my custom modified version that really reinforces the hat visor and GoPro mount.

https://youtu.be/QF8yg_2WGPM
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: A heavy duty version of the Creek Kook Hat mount
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 03:52:17 AM »
Nice work.....though I was hoping you were going to put the whole bowl on your head...... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 04:15:00 AM »
Nice hardware store fix TD... looks good!
Kook Hat goes West  ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 10:33:16 AM »
Pretty clever, though a competent fab dude like you should be vacuum bagging carbon onto that hat, and you definitely need a right hand aviator snip to do curves. The cheesy music got my wife dancing around in my office doing her patented white girl moves.

Of course, you could just buy a Moka 4K for 200 bucks and be done.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 12:56:03 PM »

Of course, you could just buy a Moka 4K for 200 bucks and be done.
Glad the wifey got her morning groove going:)
As for the Moka 4K, it's a waste of money. When you add the waterproof case it's in the 80 gram range. The Moka waterproof case fogs up quick which I hated about my older Hero2 in it's case. The GoPro Sessions doesn't need a waterproof case, weighs only 74 grams, and is the same price as the Moka 4K. The Hero 5 doesn't need a case either, weighs 117 grams, has Image Stabilization, replaceable batteries, a big screen, voice activation, horizon flattening mode, 4K modes, and a more advanced video processor than either the Sessions or Moka 4K. I'm staying with GoPro Hero 5 for now:)
It's not overhead to me!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »
The Sessions was canceled, instead, there's the Hero which is 115 grams and max resolution of 1440k. OK for web video, not for much else. Put it on your 4K TV and it will be either very small or very fuzzy. No mount on the case. I don't know who that's aimed at, but it ain't me. Then again, I haven't used any of my cameras other than smartphone for a long time and probably won't. I have a big box of GoPro stuff--I should send it to Creek. Hey creek, PM me your address.

Oh, and the Moka case doesn't fog. I got one as a Kickstarter thing when I was still interested in video. The lens snugs up against a flat black surround and the rest of the case has some room around it. I suspect that's why it doesn't fog the lens, but it doesn't.

I was blown away recently when I heard DJI bought Hasselblad. When I was first communicating with those guys back when most drone software was being written by goofballs like me playing in the open source forums writing C# and Arduino code targeting ARM cores they were two guys and a dog in a shed in China, doing really great stuff with onboard GPS and waypoints.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:26:09 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 03:27:05 PM »
I bought a Sessions5 from B&H Camera online.... there are still some new ones out there if you look around.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 03:42:17 PM »
Like Creek says'....There are still new Hero Sessions that are in stock at lots of retailers. They do last maybe a few years with regular use. At $199. that's not bad for a couple of years. There's always new tech out by then. My niece has the new Hero and it looks just like my Hero 5, but lacks some of the bells and whistles. I filmed this video with my Pixel2 smartphone in 4K. The 4K crashes my editing program(s) almost every time. I'm going to have to double the RAM in my workstation. If I save it as 1080P (which I did), I don't run into any editing problems. The 4K edited file is huge... It'll eat up a 2 Terabit hard drive in no time. I'm working with a 1T SSD hd  and 4T 3.0 USB. I'm already running out of space because of my 4K phone video and 1440k (which works good) on the GoPro. Our Hawaii trip this summer was just a little over 120 Gigs!   
It's not overhead to me!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 04:00:26 PM »
I need to start bringing my cameras. I have a Hero 4, need to make a kook hat cam and start bringing the small handheld. I had a great paddle in Plymouth today out to Brown's bank....beautiful crystal clear water, schools of stripers and seabirds everywhere...baitballs of pogies getting trashed all over, paddled past a guy standing on the bow of his boat flyfishing in the flats...he says "I feel like I jumped on a plane to the Bahamas this morning"......a paddle past and he starts to hoot just a second later when he gets a fish on, I stand there and watch him fight and land this beautiful fish, some dramatic jumps in the very shallow water, nice big Atlantic Bonito.....no camera..... :P
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:03:42 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 04:47:35 PM »
Like Creek says'....There are still new Hero Sessions that are in stock at lots of retailers. They do last maybe a few years with regular use. At $199. that's not bad for a couple of years. There's always new tech out by then. My niece has the new Hero and it looks just like my Hero 5, but lacks some of the bells and whistles. I filmed this video with my Pixel2 smartphone in 4K. The 4K crashes my editing program(s) almost every time. I'm going to have to double the RAM in my workstation. If I save it as 1080P (which I did), I don't run into any editing problems. The 4K edited file is huge... It'll eat up a 2 Terabit hard drive in no time. I'm working with a 1T SSD hd  and 4T 3.0 USB. I'm already running out of space because of my 4K phone video and 1440k (which works good) on the GoPro. Our Hawaii trip this summer was just a little over 120 Gigs!   

I avoid it all by not shooting any video. My Inspire 2 drone has a 5.2K camera that requires an onboard Solid State Drive to record. It chews up 512GB in one long session. I've edited the video--once--and then said never again. Life is too short. Yes, you can shoot a feature film with the camera. No, I don't want to.  I use the 1024 camera or put the monster cam in dumbshit mode. Powerful tools, but it's taking a hellfire missile to a knife fight. Oh, wait, we kind of do that every day. Never mind.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:49:22 PM by PonoBill »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 06:11:15 AM »
I avoid it all by not shooting any video.

No, No, No!

I think you need to figure out how to outsource your editing.  The world can benefit.

I went to great lecture by Juan Enriquez this summer.  I found another brother in more glorious ways than one we both went to the same high school for example.  His speech was on the merging of the DIGITAL Alphabet, 0 and 1, with ORGANIC Alphabet A, C, T and G.  We are embarking on this adventure and it will alter LIFE as we know it on planet earth. 

In a way GoPro has already been doing this for a decade. 

We humans have differentiated ourselves from life on earth through the use of language.  But we had been leveraging visual information for a billion years longer: "Seeing is Believing"

The GoPro converts our visual experience into digital images that exceed our eyeballs capability to process.  Those digits have been flowing at an unprecedented rate with the advent of processing power, storage and YouTube.  Organic experience to Digital Video to Organic interpretation and ultimately Mutation.   

Where would SURF foiling be today without the digitization of Kai's experience.

Juan Enriquez TED talk:
https://www.npr.org/2017/09/15/547886546/juan-enriquez-what-can-happen-if-humans-control-the-future-of-evolution

I motivated more than one person with "Thank the Laird" to successfully increase fun under the curve.  SupTheCreek, Clay, Evan Lloyd, SurferCook . . . . are all doing the same

You are in a unique place to do the same.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:18:04 AM by Beasho »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 06:04:58 PM »
That's such a fun vid Beasho.

I was thinking of this thread today as I was paddling. I need to start doing my part too. It wasn't a crazy Maliko downwind, or Mavericks or even some juicy surf. It was another perfect day on crystal clear water and soft white sand. It was tiny perfect knee highs peeling over a foot of water for 50 yards, it was a dozen horses joining me in the surf, and 200 gulls flying past gliding 2' off the water, the flock splitting and flying around me, and 20,000 fingerlings inside the bar always staying 1' away from my board. 2 hours just goofing around and there was still stuff worth sharing. I'm blessed to live in a beautiful place and I should share it more.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:09:57 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal