Author Topic: 9'7 Creek meets Flo  (Read 4578 times)

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
9'7 Creek meets Flo
« on: September 13, 2018, 08:33:39 PM »
Flo has delivered three days of super fun to Jersey. Tuesday- no wind and some nice soft rolling chest high waves, Wednesday-no wind, big and just plain special, today-windy so had to find a spot to pick up the swell with out being blown out so found a spot that was delivering waist-chest high and some wind protection. All three days had plenty of juice and plenty of fog which added to the allure. I don't have a lot to compare it to and I know I continue to improve as a surfer but man did this board shine on all three days. To quote the Sunova website "the performance rocker needs a bit of juice to shine". From  nose to tail the board was alive. It was at it's best on Wednesday when I was surfing waves I would consider above my pay grade. All 9'7 160 liters of it. I wish I had the background and knowledge to put it to words but I can't express enough how happy I am that I went with the 9'7 over the 9'4. From mush to Flo it surfs great and is super comfortable. To quote the Sunova web site again "incredibly organic synergy". Well after these three days, I understand what this means!

Looking forward to hearing about (and seeing) Flo sessions so please post them.  It's so much fun to share the Stoke!!!!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: 9'7 Creek meets Flo
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 03:48:35 AM »
Nice report....jealous.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 04:26:55 AM »
Osprey
Very stoked to hear you are happy with your Creek!
You did found the perfect words to describe your sessions. 
Yeeha!  ;D ;D
Thanks for the report
I gotta get down to Jerzy to run your 9’7!

I find that in bigger sizes, it doesn’t need juice at all, bigger ones have plenty of width and surface area to go great in low power as well.

My 9’4 is great in mush, but at my size, (230 lbs) the 9’1 is where I start needing some juice to get the best out of it.

Yesterday I finally got to run my 9’1 in good surf.
First power session since I got it in March.
Super happy.
Exactly the perfect board for OH juicy Flo waves!!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 06:12:09 AM »
Great report.

My 30 year surf-amigo Marc bought Creek's original Creek and can't say enough good things about it.

I love my 9' 1" Acid but if I hadn't been converted to the dark-side of foiling I might have step up and buy one.

PS: I haven't made a plug for under wetsuit vests in a while but anytime I hear somebody winging about wave size I say "Get a Vest!"  It will add 4+ feet to your confidence.  You're good to 7 feet this takes it to 11!  You get my reference  :o

https://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsuits-Waterski-Competition-Combat/dp/B00QLN143M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536930616&sr=8-1&keywords=o%27neill+gooru

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 06:24:17 AM »
Great report!

And agree with Beasho 1000%.....I got in the habit of putting my vest on a couple of years ago in even the tiniest of waves for torso protection (w/ the benefit of some nice float) and its just become part of my gear.  I saw several surfers and paddle boarders around Rhodie yesterday and this morning that where just trunkin it waaaaaaaay the hell offshore and spots I hadn't seen folks before and they were by themselves for the most part.  With most of us here being here in the half century+ club why take any chances at all(?).   
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 07:22:14 AM »
Hey Beasho, is that the same vest you also use for foiling?

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 11:03:57 AM »
Spinal Tap Reference Detected

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 12:12:14 PM »
4 out of 5 days past ive had my 8'10" creek in flo or whatever it was that i surfed early this week--all superlative days--with many oh+ moments--the creek has been excellent--holds on steep drops and acute sections, and has the speed to make them, and it carves great--i cant deny that my much looser approach these days has to do with the creek--in many ways a waveboard shape needs to balance objectives--stability vs speed and hold on the face etc etc--creek hits closest i have felt of the sweet spot--i am 6'2" 185lbs, 8'10" works great--if i wanted a change id try down a size

first light tomorrow shd still be head/chest--and wind, which got bad today, shd go down again to nothing--then flo will be gone--

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 06:28:50 PM »
Just to put some context to the Creek, board size and oh+ Florence:

I'm 6'2 245 on a 9'7 Creek 160L
Creek is 230 on a 9"1 Creek 136.3L
Eastbound is 6'2 185 on an 8"10 Creek 125.3L

I didn't do the math but I am imagining we are all in the 1.3-1.5  body weight to volume or pretty close. For sure Creek and Eastbound are more experienced surfers then me so I need the little bit more board but we all experienced the board the same way. Which really is pretty cool we can say that about the Creek.

Eastbound- "stability vs speed and hold on the face etc. etc." expresses how I feel

Creek-I got the board as a result of a run in with Jim K as I am local to his shop. Next time you are in Jim K land I hope we can hook up. Jim and I surf the same spots and I barely see him but that day was my lucky day!!!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 04:15:37 PM »
I can't wait to try one. I'll need the 9-7 for sure I think. My Foote is 174L and I could go 10 less, I've also dropped weight recently....probably around 270 or so.

Creek....what size do you have here?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 07:15:00 PM »
I am happier on my 9'4 Creek than my 9'1.
I keep recommending one size bigger than you think, for most SUPsters.

There is no downside to a comfy one... they are easy in all waves when you have proper surface area to provide speed and agility in all conditions.

My 9'1 is great in good conditions, but I am glad to have a bigger size for the rest.

osprey is on the right track...  I like 1.4 plus for most SUPsters.... no need to push the low end IMO.

Great board at low liters for ripsters, tiny young folks and pros  ;D

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 09:13:05 PM »
Ok...now I want a Creek and an impact vest! They both seem to make perfect sense.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 05:41:53 AM »
Happy to help you or any other ZONER out with a great deal on Sunova's and impact vest (Epic or Dakine)

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 06:50:38 PM »
Dang guys at 1.4 I need 85 lt.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 05:08:58 PM »
Love my 9-1 Creek.  It's the only 9ft board I've owned that I can pump up speed with. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal