Author Topic: Take every wave. Have you seen it?  (Read 6190 times)

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Take every wave. Have you seen it?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 04:55:05 AM »
YUP barely any SUP in the film. Should've at least shown a clip of him shooting Malibu pier so his Hollywood/Malibu buddies could relate. Seems like he's shedding SUP from his image. Just like Kai and others. It's all about the foil now.

https://youtu.be/eOV7mbSrNPk

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:00:21 AM by SaMoSUP »

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 05:23:10 AM »
1) i will watch it--too many kudos here not to--i thinl laird is amazing but cant be a bit high on himself at times--like, ithink ill keep wearing sunblock, thx

2) the "shedding SUP from his image" is interesting--might be that sup-surfing is heading the way of knee-boarding--hot for  a while--no mas now, but for stubborn old "no legs" guys---i knee-boarded for a while, after my corroded hip disallowed popups while proning-it's legit, for sure-then i saw a sup surfer and switched over--then yesterday, 10 years later, i sup surfed sweet head+ glass at my local!! aint looked back and if it becomes an anachronism, so be it--it lets me get waves where i wouldnt otherwise--and i am a way better sup surfer now than i ever was a proner--stronger, move around better, get more waves, get every wave i go for--easy to pick scraps out of a crowded lineup etc etc
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 05:48:54 AM »
I have to say after some thought about this I'm really kind of put off by the dis of SUP. How do you write your life story and conveniently leave out the sport you created...or at least re-introduced and made popular? I'd say he's far more famous for SUP than foil but because foils are the thing now it's mostly foil....marketing.....but I guess that's what he's always been about. I wouldn't have this feeling if there was even just 5 mins of SUP history. Who is he trying to please....or fool? I guess I should just be thankful the marketing allows him to do what he does. He's brought a lot of life to all of us. Oh well.... :P

I'd still recommend the movie.....worth watching but it's done just opposite for me in my opinion of Laird. Sure there is inspiration to be taken from so single mindedly pursuing what you want and his achievements speak for themselves. But I can't get rid of the thought that he no longer wants to be associated with what I do as a passion and the revisionist history is simply stupid.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:59:14 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 06:30:02 AM »
I think SUP got Laird and Kai into the limelight, but now that the SUP has gone "mainstream" these guys want to stay out on the edge (foiling today), forefront, etc. Laird's the type that wants to do what no one else is doing but once everyone else catches on...it's no longer cool.

Can you associate the fact that Laird is the godfather of SUP racing around the statue of liberty?

http://app.appworldtour.com/tour-dates/events-list/event/new-york-2018/

eastbound #2 on point. More of the new SUP surfers I see these days are far removed from the image of Laird on a SUP.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:35:12 AM by SaMoSUP »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 07:55:32 AM »
My favorite video of Laird surfing Hookipa on a giant day with crazy wind. Where is that Video, I can't find it.

Guessing this is not it...but it's been one of my favorite Laird vids for yrs. First time I saw it I knew I wanted to sup big(-ish) waves. Although I probably wouldn't be comfortable out there with all those sails. I learned the "Laird Stance" from watching this vid.

https://youtu.be/NdzC9g5UsRQ
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 09:26:27 AM »
I have to say that, "Take Every Wave" is a terrible title for a stand up movie, or any movie involving surfing.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 10:00:38 AM »
My favorite video of Laird surfing Hookipa on a giant day with crazy wind. Where is that Video, I can't find it.

Guessing this is not it...but it's been one of my favorite Laird vids for yrs. First time I saw it I knew I wanted to sup big(-ish) waves. Although I probably wouldn't be comfortable out there with all those sails. I learned the "Laird Stance" from watching this vid.

https://youtu.be/NdzC9g5UsRQ

Nope...not the same day...far more wind and Admins was high res.  I found Cammar's original post that went along with the picture. Quoting him from the post..."That Laird is a freak".....and coming from Cammar who has seen them all that's high praise. His pictures and description of it are worth a read.....as is much of the rest of the blog....and Cammar makes the zones hot chicks thread seem tame....Enjoy... :)

https://mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/2007/01/best-watching-session-ever.html

I need to make another donation to Cammar. His blog planted the original seed for me. I still go on occasionally but back then it was one of the few sites talking SUP and I couldn't get enough.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:13:45 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 10:14:37 AM »
Yes, the gnarly stuff is gnarly, but I've always like Laird's subtle stuff, in many ways it shows more talent than balls.  Also love the music, "The Yard" by Trolle Siebenhaar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_pFEEqAa0k
It takes a quiver to do that.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »
thanks Weasels wake, cool 360 moves  8)

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »
Yes, the gnarly stuff is gnarly, but I've always like Laird's subtle stuff, in many ways it shows more talent than balls. 

In the mid-2000s my son and I took a surf trip to Kauai just before he had to go back to college.  Our first night there we were sitting on the outside watching the waves roll in and surfing a break that some local guys told us would be OK , but to avoid an area about 100 yards over because the locals might get testy.  The light was golden and there was this guy that looked like a cross between a Greek God and a ballerina really ripping it up on an SUP, using the paddle, moving all over the board, 360s, re-entry after rentry on a big board.  I had seen one or two people try to surf an SUP in Lajolla before that, my son hadn't and said "WTF is that?", one o  the locals in the water said "That would be Laird"   I think he has earned the right to be an insufferable egomaniac if he wants to be,  unfortunately sooner or later age and the new kids on the block will catch up. 

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 06:06:50 PM »
I have to say that, "Take Every Wave" is a terrible title for a stand up movie, or any movie involving surfing.

haha yes, but it kind of describes the way he seems to ride tho.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal