Author Topic: Impressions on first GoFoil rides  (Read 6726 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Impressions on first GoFoil rides
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 12:49:03 PM »
To emphasize the importance of FOILS Floating consider the number of people who have had theirs SINK.

Here was the carnage from this Sunday.  Dual TRACK Installation - WEAK.

1 Box Ripped out the other Sheared in Half and skinned the board.

$1,400 Custom Carbon Foil - That supposedly floated - Was attached with a TRACK adapter for a Tuttle base and IT SANK.

This was Mark's first hour in the surf.  The board was hit by less than 3 ft of whitewater.  NOT COOL!

I was talking with Haley Fiske about this last night.  We concluded that the TUTTLE box was invented to handle the STRESS associated with a massive windsurfing fin.  The foil is an even MORE massive fin.  In theory the Dual Tracks can hold it BUT THEY NEED TO BE INSTALLED PROPERLY.   

The evidence suggests Most surfboard designers have NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOING. Buyer beware.

These are notes from PIROS in Australia on FOILS:
------------------------------
GF Floats
Axis Floats
Naish Floats
Carbon Innovation Floats
Signature Floats ( the lightest of all )
SlingShot Sinks
Neil Pryde Sinks
Starboard Sinks
Air Rush Sinks
Lift Sinks (but super light)
-------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:31:19 PM by Beasho »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 01:14:30 PM »
YIKE!! That's definitely not good...or a very good install on those tracks.

I'm always trying to convey to the sharper/glasser who's doing my new board...that these are not just two standard ol' fin boxes he's putting in, but rather two "foil boxes" that need to be attached to some...more "solid structure" though the entire thickness of the board than just the foam he's used to setting them in now.

He has what sounds like a very solid plan, but I'll reserve revealing it until it's been tested in "real life", and not just in "theory" as it is right now.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 01:18:51 PM »
So the double whammy of THICK foils is that they can Float and Provide More Low Speed lift.

Good stuff Beasho!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »
Another helpful Chart.  Note too when I say that the IWA and the Maliko 200 work REALLY, REALLY well.

I weigh 185 lbs.  I would NOT ride any smaller foil than the IWA until the waves are continuously over 10 feet.

surf4soul

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 02:31:21 PM »
Any thoughts on the new player to the surf foil game, neil pryde? Looks very similar to the gofoil design, and from what I hearing surf the same

https://www.neilpryde.com/collections/foils/products/glide-surf

Priced at $999 for a full setup and wings are $250.
60cm, 70cm, and 80cm masts.
S,M, L sizes

The Large size having 1680 cmSq surface area which is 100 cmSq more than the IWA. Also is 2.5" wider than the IWA at 34"
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 02:57:34 PM by surf4soul »

madeinsantacruz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 04:22:14 PM »
Please add:  Cloud 9 floats

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 06:29:07 PM »
I have heard Cloud 9 Foils are GOOD!  Therefore proving the moniker:

Will it Float!

Maybe this is all we need to know to figure out which wings work and which do not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdBkVRjEr4Y

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 08:56:40 PM »
Wow, that board was made to fail. Nothing but EPS, and the glass is just glass. Having a big square of carbon probably would just mean that both tracks would rip out together, but at least there might have been a prayer of it staying together.

Minimum is a PVC or heavy XPS (cheep!) cartridge plus carbon. Good practice is a cartridge that extends deep into the board and much wider and longer than the tracks and is glassed (carboned) flush top and bottom. I think next time I'm going to make thin plywood stringers on both sides of each track that go the full length of the cartridge, glassed flush to the top and bottom. Essentially Costo Wavestorm tech.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:59:04 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal