Author Topic: Surfboard Epoxy - Food Safe?  (Read 5152 times)

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfboard Epoxy - Food Safe?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 01:03:40 PM »
Just an FYI, most food cans that we've been eating from our whole lives are lined with epoxy.
Bunch of old shit

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 01:23:01 PM »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 01:59:08 PM »
TD--what of PEX?--ive been told totally "non-toxic"--if so, seems the best plumbing alternative--especially by me, where we get below freezing often, but rarely much below==and plumbing a house with it is like pulling speaker wires through a house, where the manifold is like the receiver in the old days--so much easier than copper

i am about to start a gut renovation, using PEX throughout

in NYC PEX is not to code "yet"--nor to code for weirdest reason, said to be BS invented to protect copper plumbing beneficiaries

supposedly most rats in NYC are in some state of having been poisoned, and the poisons dehydrate them in a ghastly way---so when they note condensate on outside of PEX pipe they chew through it in search of hydration--given they mix rats and PEX all over cities all over the world, i am on the BS side of this one!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 02:26:47 PM »
Just an FYI, most food cans that we've been eating from our whole lives are lined with epoxy.
Until recently, BPA modified epoxy. Most cans still use BPA because BPA-free is expensive (about 15% more). Those who have converted now generally trumpet BPA-Free!. Snore.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 02:40:40 PM »
--so when they note condensate on outside of PEX pipe they chew through it in search of hydration--given they mix rats and PEX all over cities all over the world, i am on the BS side of this one!

I lived in Tucson for a few years and Pack Rats would constantly chew my drip irrigation system in my yard to pieces looking for water. ( That was probably PVC) I don't think I would use PEX if I lived  anywhere near the little buggers. They chewed through my friend's 57 chevy radiator hose as well.

Sure cross linked polyethylene tubing is everywhere now.  I had to have my house replumbed because the plastic tubing used in the middle 80s degrades and we had leaks in the walls all the time.  The new stuff is supposedly going to last 50 years ( of course the people who install it won't be around when it fails.)

BPA has been used in cans for many years and is thought to be a culprit in lower populations of many animals and organisms, as well as lowered male sperm counts in humans.  The evidence is pretty solid.  The problem with doing a do it yourself BPA carbonate lining is that you don't have the equipment to do the job so there is no trace of the monomers and hardeners both of which you don't want to be drinking. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »
TD--what of PEX?--ive been told totally "non-toxic"--if so, seems the best plumbing alternative--especially by me, where we get below freezing often, but rarely much below==and plumbing a house with it is like pulling speaker wires through a house, where the manifold is like the receiver in the old days--so much easier than copper

i am about to start a gut renovation, using PEX throughout

in NYC PEX is not to code "yet"--nor to code for weirdest reason, said to be BS invented to protect copper plumbing beneficiaries

supposedly most rats in NYC are in some state of having been poisoned, and the poisons dehydrate them in a ghastly way---so when they note condensate on outside of PEX pipe they chew through it in search of hydration--given they mix rats and PEX all over cities all over the world, i am on the BS side of this one!
Definitely a 'pipe fitter's union' driven thing in the big cities who have their own versions of the code book. There's merit to the rat thing, and copper is probably the lessor of evils. In the early 2000's, during the building bubble, the quality of copper pipe went noticeably down hill. There were microscopic areas in the pipe walls that was non-copper material. Hard water, elevated chemical levels and actually the abrasion from moving water that would create pin hole leaks. I had them in my house as well as homes I built during that period. My specialty was building all steel framed homes (heavier gauge galvanized steel studs) with no wood. They can't burn or be structurally impaired by termites. Strength to weight ratio is off the charts compared to a wood framed home. They don't build cars out of wood for a reason, but that's a separate trade battle. The PEX are great in steel framed homes because it's totally quite. With copper pipes you can hear water running in the pipes throughout the steel structure, even with vibration isolators. Plus there is always a risk of pipe failure through galvanic reaction from the disimilar metals (copper vs. galvanized steel). If the copper touches any of the framing directly, you have the potential for a leak. I recently oversaw a re-pipe of a steel home I built 20 years ago. The owner had the same concerns about rats in the crawl spaces (the basements and attic) where the pipe was exposed. I suggested using PEX in the inaccessible wall and floor joist areas, but use copper in the basement and attic. Takes care of the rat problem for the most part, and the potential pin-hole leaks in the inaccessible areas like walls and between floors. Funny thing is, the residential fire sprinkler contractors use a CPVC which is fire-resistant PVC pipe. They swear by it for longevity over copper? Different union. PEX is polyethylene which has a longer shelf life that PVC. I've yet to have any problems with leaks on any of the homes I've built with PEX piping. PEX pipe has come a long way in the past 20 years.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:51:34 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 03:47:18 PM »
Beat me to it on the beeswax.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 04:46:22 PM »
So let me first say that this question will betray how damn nerdy I am. My wife and I both have wooden cups that we use for SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) events. They're pressed strips of wood. Both tend to sweat their contents, like the liquid seeps in between the cracks. Which is usually beer.

I was wanting to seal them, and my first thought was surfboard epoxy. Is this stuff food safe? If it isn't, does anybody have an alternate sealant?
Just have Gil Wilson from Chatham Stoneware make you some old world ceramic mugs 8)
I have a little Gil Wilson collection going. Going to have to add to it soon.. I dig it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 05:09:48 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2018, 06:28:22 PM »
So let me first say that this question will betray how damn nerdy I am. My wife and I both have wooden cups that we use for SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) events. They're pressed strips of wood. Both tend to sweat their contents, like the liquid seeps in between the cracks. Which is usually beer.

I was wanting to seal them, and my first thought was surfboard epoxy. Is this stuff food safe? If it isn't, does anybody have an alternate sealant?
Just have Gil Wilson from Chatham Stoneware make you some old world ceramic mugs 8)
I have a little Gil Wilson collection going. Going to have to add to it soon.. I dig it.

Excellent idea, I've been meaning to get myself a mug from Gil.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2018, 06:31:36 PM »
I'll have to check those out. Thanks.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal