Author Topic: Surfboard Epoxy - Food Safe?  (Read 5154 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Surfboard Epoxy - Food Safe?
« on: September 09, 2018, 03:36:36 PM »
So let me first say that this question will betray how damn nerdy I am. My wife and I both have wooden cups that we use for SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) events. They're pressed strips of wood. Both tend to sweat their contents, like the liquid seeps in between the cracks. Which is usually beer.

I was wanting to seal them, and my first thought was surfboard epoxy. Is this stuff food safe? If it isn't, does anybody have an alternate sealant?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
Re: Surfboard Epoxy - Food Safe?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 05:00:02 PM »
mineral oil
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:23:18 PM by addapost »
Bunch of old shit

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 06:29:42 PM »
Just because the label says 'Spirits', doesn't mean it's meant for consumption. Most chemical coatings will off-gas or leach. Some will off-gas for months, some for years. Elevate the temperature, and the properties will usually change for the worse. They now line copper water lines in homes with (FBE) 'fusion bonded epoxy' to remove pinhole leaks. A lot of newer homes are piped with PEX which is polyethylene, and PVC is used on water mains. You might be able to mask it outside off or wax it, then coat the inside with an FBE or dipping plastic?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 08:08:15 PM »
Creatively anachronistic plastic coated wood? Hmm. You'd be a lot better off with a reasonable glass to quaff your mead.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 08:52:02 PM »
I'm a medicinal chemist and a woodworker.  I wouldn't use any kind of epoxy on anything I was going to drink out of.  The traditional way to seal it would be bees wax.  You can buy a brick at your local health food store.  Also the suggestion using mineral oil is good.  You can buy that at a drug store.  You can heat three parts mineral oil ( I just warm them both carefully by heating a few seconds in the microwave) and carefully add one part bees wax and stirr it with heating until its all liquid then apply to the cup and rub it in really well with a cloth. Repeat applications, letting it cool and dry  a few times.  Rinse it with soapy water before you use it the first time as the excess mineral oil will work as a laxative with beer.

Do you know what bow draw weights are allowed for SCA Larp competitions in your area?  I'm making a bunch of English Longbows to sell before Christmas and was wondering if SCA has a national standard for archery competitions?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 08:53:49 PM by seadart »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 09:11:56 PM »
Submerging them in water for a few days before the event could make them swell, liquid tight.  I suppose a SS Yeti tumbler might be an anachronism in this case? ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:28:51 PM by Bean »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 09:17:01 PM »
I'm a medicinal chemist and a woodworker.  I wouldn't use any kind of epoxy on anything I was going to drink out of. 
So what about the FBE systems? They are lining the potable water copper pipes of condos, apt, high-rises and homes by the thousands with FBE. Doing it to water mains as well. Sounds like a massive lawsuit brewing...
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 06:00:06 AM »
I'm a medicinal chemist and a woodworker.  I wouldn't use any kind of epoxy on anything I was going to drink out of.  The traditional way to seal it would be bees wax.  You can buy a brick at your local health food store.  Also the suggestion using mineral oil is good.  You can buy that at a drug store.  You can heat three parts mineral oil ( I just warm them both carefully by heating a few seconds in the microwave) and carefully add one part bees wax and stirr it with heating until its all liquid then apply to the cup and rub it in really well with a cloth. Repeat applications, letting it cool and dry  a few times.  Rinse it with soapy water before you use it the first time as the excess mineral oil will work as a laxative with beer.

Do you know what bow draw weights are allowed for SCA Larp competitions in your area?  I'm making a bunch of English Longbows to sell before Christmas and was wondering if SCA has a national standard for archery competitions?

Seadart, those are great suggestions. I'll try that beeswax/mineral oil mix.

The SCA in my area (East Kingdom) doesn't usually use bows in their combat, which is too bad. I'm not really into the heavy fighting. I think they have a minimum of 30# draw for their archery contests. I see some people use traditional English longbows, which are sweet! I think they have a draw weight in the 40–50# range. I use a 30# takedown short bow for now, but my accuracy still sucks. I'm going to upgrade when I can group on a target better.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 06:13:35 AM »
epoxy scares me--and there have been sveral stories out there about shapers who've ended up with serious auto-immune disorders

i know that, when i repair dings, i get weird rashes etc--and i glove up and take care but find that it's nearly impossible to not touch a tiny bit of uncured product--which then causes rash and itchiness

wouldnt mix it with food or drink--
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 06:28:22 AM »
epoxy scares me--and there have been sveral stories out there about shapers who've ended up with serious auto-immune disorders

i know that, when i repair dings, i get weird rashes etc--and i glove up and take care but find that it's nearly impossible to not touch a tiny bit of uncured product--which then causes rash and itchiness

wouldnt mix it with food or drink--

Then I'm definitely going for beeswax/mineral oil.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 06:43:50 AM »
for a sealing wax one mixes beeswax and pine resin. Which is naturally antibacterial.

Pine pitch alone can be used for waterproofing. Old skis bases were done that way.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:46:36 AM by yugi »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 07:10:42 AM »

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 09:10:18 AM »
Pine tar certainly works, but it contains carcinogens, especially after being heated.  Nothing to worry about on your birkebeiner skis, but not so good for a beer mug.  You can look up the MSDS for specific epoxies,  pine tar,  mineral oil and beeswax.  Then decide what you want to risk.   

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal