Author Topic: Pro Tennis Needs to make some changes.......  (Read 11240 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Pro Tennis Needs to make some changes.......
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 09:07:19 PM »
I have some sympathy for her. 

Meanwhile, if you want to see ranting taken to the level of art, go to baseball, specifically managers.  And learn--always ask for nail clippers at the end:

(warning:  language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=40&v=QOZxT9MHAJU

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 11:52:12 PM »
Neither Williams nor Earley were prepared to reveal exactly what was said to the lineswoman but the New York tabloids, which splashed the story across the back pages yesterday morning, were not so reticent. Suffice to say, it was not exactly ladylike: "I swear to God I'll fucking take the ball and shove it down your fucking throat."

Serena can give it pretty harsh when she wants.  So yes "thief" was kinda subdued for her in this instance.  But sexism and equality.  Hmmm?

At least "emotional" Mac etc was smart enough to get called for spewing profanity as a first "warning" most times.  Not dumb enough to be assessed a lost point or lost game like Serena.  Worst as most note -> is the lost shine Naomi will have the rest of her life looking back at the win on court and the booing at the awards ceremony.  That was a true disgrace.  Was really quite revolting to watch actually.  Especially the comments made by the presenters.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/sep/13/serena-williams-tirade-us-open

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 02:23:19 AM »
“The sexism narrative also failed to reflect the statistics from the US Open, which showed 86 code violations were handed out to male players in the course of the fortnight, but only 22 to women."

You can’t infer from this that sexism isn’t at work. Maybe the women are just a lot better behaved than the men, and if men had done the same things as got those 22 code violations handed out to women, they’d not have been penalised for them.

The earlier example of Alize Cornet's code violation for an on-court shirt switch is a more obvious example that there might be double standards at play.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/45341199

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 07:49:46 AM »
Bottom line Naomi Osaka DOMINATED Serena not once but twice this year already. The NYC fans are lame for egging her behavior on and continuing to boo during the awards ceremony.

I wonder how things would've played out if Serena had a meltdown at Wimbledon after she got dominated by Angie Kerber as well. Would the Brits have shown more class?

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 08:00:10 AM »
entitled trash
YouTube

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 08:44:24 AM »
Bottom line Naomi Osaka DOMINATED Serena not once but twice this year already. The NYC fans are lame for egging her behavior on and continuing to boo during the awards ceremony.

I wonder how things would've played out if Serena had a meltdown at Wimbledon after she got dominated by Angie Kerber as well. Would the Brits have shown more class?
As a Brit, I can say that we nearly always root for the underdog. (Probably because we usually are ;) ). It’s kind of a cultural difference between the UK and US. So the Brits would probably have been behind Osaka from the start, and Serena would have been even more unpopular by the end. I doubt we would have booed during the award ceremony no matter what happened though. That’s awful.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 09:38:26 AM »
entitled trash

Your bitterness is showing.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 09:39:12 AM »
Nope. Wasn’t going to happen. She’s to fat and out of shape. Did she really call sexism?

She could take you down, I bet.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 09:41:04 AM »
It was unfortunate end for sure. I to wish Serena had maintained her cool no doubt she does as well. The picture of Serena next to Naomi in the NYT with her eyes closed trying to find calm is just so human and full of vulnerability. This along with her incredible tennis and physicality is why she is so loved.

I would make a strong case that no athlete in the history of sport has been as objectified, sexualized and born racial hate as much as Serena. And that includes Jackie Robinson, Ali, Jack Johnson and Arthur Ashe.  She has taken it all with her big, girl tutu on.

Agree with the "let" change other then that Tennis at its best is gripping drama.

Serena is magnificent in all her humanity.

Right on.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 09:52:33 AM »
Thanks for the perspective A10. Seems like at Wimbledon Serena knew the crowd would not have backed her like they did in NYC so she behaved. Gotta put some blame on the fans too I suppose and the USTA. They really do kiss Serena's behind especially Katrina Adams the CEO. No Serena no US tennis. Kinda like how golf went back to obscurity when Tiger was out.

As a Brit, I can say that we nearly always root for the underdog. (Probably because we usually are ;) ). It’s kind of a cultural difference between the UK and US. So the Brits would probably have been behind Osaka from the start, and Serena would have been even more unpopular by the end. I doubt we would have booed during the award ceremony no matter what happened though. That’s awful.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:56:34 AM by SaMoSUP »

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 12:27:36 PM »
"As a Brit, I can say that we nearly always root for the underdog. (Probably because we usually are ;) ). It’s kind of a cultural difference between the UK and US"

Eh..... not so much. Not having "their" team or person in the show.... the majority of Americans would tend toward the underdog. And... I can't say I recall Brits ever rooting against Andy Murray at Wimbledon. I don't think I've ever watched a match where Manchester United fans were pulling for Everton. 

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 01:06:34 PM »
"As a Brit, I can say that we nearly always root for the underdog. (Probably because we usually are ;) ). It’s kind of a cultural difference between the UK and US"

Eh..... not so much. Not having "their" team or person in the show.... the majority of Americans would tend toward the underdog. And... I can't say I recall Brits ever rooting against Andy Murray at Wimbledon. I don't think I've ever watched a match where Manchester United fans were pulling for Everton.
Well I think you just undid your own argument there. No-one except Man U fans want Man U to succeed :)

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 01:18:56 PM »
I love sports and so do my 3 daughters. I have one on varsity Volleyball, and two playing soccer right now (youth and middle school).

My kids aren't always the best players on their teams but they are uber-competitive. Whatever game they are playing they fight until the last play or second on the clock, and are often inconsolable after a loss (my middle daughter collapsed on the floor in a pile of tears after losing a 9 year old basketball tournament, half of her team did not know if they were the Home or Away team on the scoreboard). It is a blessing and a curse to have that drive to win. Losing "PIG" in the backyard creates tears and animosity for at least an hour. I have taken my daughters golfing and had to yell at them for pushing and shoving on the green after losing a hole. Like I said they hate to lose. My wife has outlawed Monopoly and Poker from our house.

My oldest and I talked about Serena on Sunday night. It gave me a starting point for some good talks so thanks Serena and Official for that. The press is partly to blame for pushing the narrative, but my opinion is and always will be that we have to take our L's with dignity (and my kids are bad at this). Show deference to the victor for their effort and skill (and luck). I spoke to my daughter about how it is most likely that the official screwed up, but Serena let her ego interfere too much with the outcome of the game and tarnished the championship. Asking the ref to apologize during the match is laughable, it is just a way of giving up without damaging her own ego.

I like Serena and her story is a great American sports story. I just don't want my little athletes to think that any part of what she did is acceptable. John McEnroe was a great tennis player, but no one remembers much about his tennis game, just his melt downs. Serena should be remembered for being the greatest American tennis player, not this.

Make paddleboarding great again!

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 02:01:39 PM »

Well I think you just undid your own argument there. No-one except Man U fans want Man U to succeed :)

Precisely!  Man U will certainly be the long shot to win in more than a few matches this season and....... I can't see them getting too many/any? sympathy votes on that basis.   :P

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 05:02:01 PM »

That's interesting you think people in the US aren't the same as the UK in regard to rooting for the underdogs.  I've always assumed it's universal.  But you made me think about it, and it does seem to be not always true.  Maybe it's more true with teams than individuals.  Lots of people will root for the underdog team, especially when the favorite is viewed as arrogant or cocky.  But with individuals, it does seem to be not so true.  If people like the favored individual, they'll often root for him or her, especially if they're going after some goal or record (like Michael Phelps).  (Maybe the record makes even the dominant athlete seem like an underdog--not against other athletes, but against the difficulty of breaking a record--it's the athlete against the clock, or the medal count, or the limits of physiology.)  People used to seem to root for Tiger Woods when he was invincible, maybe because he was still likable then.  Now, he's more of an underdog, but he's also become seen as a bad guy, so his support has evaporated.

Or, if it's international competition, an athlete being American will trump the foreigner being an underdog. 

It could also be that wanting to see an arrogant or entitled athlete get beat is a stronger drive than wanting to see an underdog win.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal