Author Topic: And you thought SUP racing was expensive...  (Read 2341 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
And you thought SUP racing was expensive...
« on: September 11, 2018, 07:35:30 AM »
Peyote let go with a bang last weekend, last race, last day of the Columbia River Classic. Ran well on Saturday, didn’t feel quite right on Sunday, and when I checked the timing it was jumping around. I assumed my timing light was crap (it is) and the timing was proper whenever it settled. Engine sounded good in the pits, and it was still competitive.

Then, near the end of the back straight, BAM. Stuffed the clutch in and coasted through the turns, onto the exit road, through the hot pits and off to the side. Walk of shame back to my pit.

The jumpy timing source was obvious when I started tearing things down—a distributor full of aluminum shavings. Typical mallory problem. When the advance weight retainer lets go the weights gouge the distributor body and bounce all over the place. With the engine not right I was pushing hard when I should have been loading it up to head home. Dumb. #3 rod bearing stuck and broke off the cap, havoc ensued. At least it didn’t ventilate the block, and the crank might be salvageable. Tony Garmey says there’s a company he’s used that does Ion Plasma welding to redress journals to a better surface finish than new. That would be nice, it’s a good steel crank and everything else (other than the rod and probably the piston) looks fine. At least I was quick on the clutch and kill switch and didn’t hammer things for long. The piston top has a clear imprint of the combustion chamber. I’d guess it might be a tad shorter than spec.

I need to listen to that little voice in my head more often instead of doing what I want to. At this age, and with my long experience in racing, the little voice knows a thing or three.

Oh well, I was tired of working on my motor home restoration anyway. Except the new air conditioner comes this week and I need to get the solar panels up on the roof and out of my way. Sleep is over-rated anyway.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: And you thought SUP racing was expensive...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 11:17:15 AM »
At least Peyote isn't a thoroughbred race horse, then you'd be talking some very serious money.
It would most likely be a death sentence.
It takes a quiver to do that.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 06:00:10 PM »
I don't know anything about your Peyote,  but as a 2 stroke race engine builder,  I do know how quick things can go south....by the time you hear it or feel it....the damage is done!!
Drag race car mechanics are particularly "adept" at sensing when and how soon their wrenches need to start twisting:).......!
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 06:07:47 PM »
At least Peyote isn't a thoroughbred race horse, then you'd be talking some very serious money.
It would most likely be a death sentence.

A crazy Canadian friend that I race with has a healthy bank account that he got the hard way--hustling for every buck. I was talking about how expensive racing is, and he laughed and said car racing is free compared to horses. His wife and daughter do "dressage". He had recently bought the daughter a horse for $300Kthat suddenly died a few months later.

This is what my rod looked like. I don't think I can straighten that.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 06:21:37 PM »

Oh well, I was tired of working on my motor home restoration anyway. Except the new air conditioner comes this week and I need to get the solar panels up on the roof and out of my way. Sleep is over-rated anyway.

NO!NO!NO!NO!

Please. Say it isn't so.

Fritz is looking so good. I was SO IMPRESSED that you had done so much that completion is actually within sight and reach. Now this.

And with that little statement, we will see Fritz abandoned and left to languish in the back of the shop, along with a fleet of non running, amazing moto's, to be completed, ????? someday? The passenger window and the creaking ball joints in the Maui Funmobile might get fixed before Fritzy is ready for a road trip. 

Stoney, are you watching this? Can't we call PB's parole officer or something??

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 06:39:27 PM »
LOL...see....90-95% and move on.  I see weeds growing around fritz in the future. Pretty sure I'm never going to get my remote control rudder..... ;D. I wish I lived closer. I'd go help...or at least kick him in the ass or something.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 10:00:41 PM »
Hey, it's not my fault, it's the Gods of Racing... or something like that. Actually, I plan to get the solar panels installed and wired, finish the front end, and then start prepping the shop to blow out of here. It takes a fair amount of work to prep to go to Maui. Fritz goes inside, as does about everything else except the Airstream, and the parking spot for the Airstream is getting new cameras. The alarm company has some interesting new tech and I'm one of their beta users. I have a little over a month to do work, and then a couple of weeks of prep stuff. Not enough time to finish Fritz. The dashboard and wiring is going to take several weeks, even without all the IOT and wireless stuff I have planned.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal