Author Topic: Pro Tennis Needs to make some changes.......  (Read 11225 times)

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pro Tennis Needs to make some changes.......
« on: September 08, 2018, 05:24:17 PM »
Ok.  So I watched the womens finals today and was very disappointed that Serena's behavior really took the joy away from young Osaka's victory. Serena definitely lost her cool (as many players sometimes do under such pressure) and she had to pay the price. You can argue that the call about being "coached" during the match was fair or not. (her coach even admitted that he was coaching...so no argument there). I got to thinking about how this could have been prevented.
These players are pros and they hire coaches, trainers, etc. just like other pro sports.
So why not make the coach sit on the bench next to the court so that he or she can do what they are paid to do? The coach of the football team doesn't sit in the stands and  expected to keep his mouth shut?! If the player doesn't want the coach to say anything,  well,  that's up to the player. This devastating call would not have happened if it was permitted for coaches to do their job. This whole situation is going to get so blown out of proportion because of the stage. Young Osaka was robbed of the opportunity to really WIN based solely on her skill. Fans should be upset because Serena's behavior cut the match short and they didn't get to see the match they paid to see.....and I think it would have ended up being a great 3 set match in which either player could have won. Such a shame.
My other peeve for those of you out there that know tennis....I think they should do away with the "let" on serves. Play the point if the ball gets served into the box,  even if it hits the net. No different than any other point where the ball hits the net and still goes in....you play it.  This would speed up the game,  save server energy, and add some extra skill needed to return tricky serves where the ball hits the tape and still goes in. I know there are some pros out there that would like to see this instigated.
Anyway,  I hope the men's finals tomorrow go  a lot smoother !
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Pro Tennis Needs to make some changes.......
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 07:33:06 PM »
Serena was tanked and knew she was going to loose. Come on, you play tennis,Right. She was gassed and it was going to get ugly. This has pretty much been her mo for years. I couldn’t be happier with the outcome. Coaching is a whole different subject. No excuse for her behavior. None

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 08:10:52 PM »
I must disagree,  as Serena often likes to fight her way out when she gets behind. Almost as if she plays only as hard as she thinks she needs to and then steps it up out of nowhere to victory. She was clearly being "outplayed" ,  but my guess is, (had she not had her outburst and meltdown) she was going to fight back. I am no fan of Serena,  but I will concede she is probably the strongest womens tennis player of all time up to this point. Naomi Osaka played an amazing tournament and the quality of her tennis was very consistent and she held up well under the tension of this spectacle. Serena took much of the joy of this victory out of her and that cannot be given back. Serena was kind afterwards as I am sure she realized what a mess she made out of what could have been an outstanding final.
Letting coaches coach seems like a reasonable way to avoid this kind of chaos in the future.

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 08:30:24 PM »
Nope. Wasn’t going to happen. She’s to fat and out of shape. Did she really call sexism?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 09:50:46 PM »
Young Osaka played to win.  Fantastic victory vs her "idol".  Only 20 and mega poised on center court.  Cool $3.8 mil for the kid.  Seems very grounded.  Bravo.

Serena.  Not so much.  ::)

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 01:02:09 AM »
Sorry connector but Naomi was on her way to sweeping Serena, there was not going to be a 3rd set. Just like she got swept by Kerber at Wimbledon. When Serena tried to fight back with that break, Naomi spanked her right back with a break and that's what set her off to demolish her racket and go off even more on the umpire. Naomi DOMINATED Serena plain and simple. I'm a Serena fan but am really disappointed at her behavior. She robbed Naomi of her first time glory.

Glad we have some tennis fans on here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 01:04:06 AM by SaMoSUP »

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 08:03:45 AM »
Sorry connector but Naomi was on her way to sweeping Serena, there was not going to be a 3rd set. Just like she got swept by Kerber at Wimbledon. When Serena tried to fight back with that break, Naomi spanked her right back with a break and that's what set her off to demolish her racket and go off even more on the umpire. Naomi DOMINATED Serena plain and simple. I'm a Serena fan but am really disappointed at her behavior. She robbed Naomi of her first time glory.

Glad we have some tennis fans on here.

Yup.  Serena only blows up like that when she is losing.
The whole thing was so unfortunate.

Serena's tirade went on and on and on and on some more, and some more.
Geeze - it was really unbelievable.

Serena called the umpire a liar and later a thief.
However, Serena's coach later admitted, yes he was coaching her, that he couched her
all the tima and that all the coaches did it.
At the same time, Serena said she never cheated and never took coaching.  So, hmmm,
it seems one of them is not telling the truth.

It seems to me there should have been a third penalty given when she continued her tirade
for minutes and minutes even after the penalty game was awarded.  It was after that
penalty game was awarded that she tried to use the "sexist card" - that men do it all
the time and they were trying to penalize her for being a woman - of course, that is
illogical since her opponent that was "benefiting" was a woman also.  And, even Chris Everett
pointed out that men shut their mouths after the first non-penalty warning so as not
to lose a point from doing it a second time.

Still, there was a lot of really good tennis in that match.

The most unfortunate part was that Serena's disgraceful display robbed Naomi of her celebration.
It really wasn't fair to Naomi at all.

Naomi played very very well and showed real class.
She's only 20 so she'll likely be winning a lot more championships.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 08:05:36 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 08:32:26 AM »
Perhaps this ugly finals will convince the WTA that it would be better to let the coaches sit down by the players and coach to their hearts content just like in Davis Cup tennis matches. Just maybe (and I stress MAYBE) Serena would not have made such a mess of herself. She certainly did not set a very good example for other up and coming players. Naomi was robbed of her joy in the victory.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 10:42:14 AM »
Serena was tanked and knew she was going to loose. Come on, you play tennis,Right. She was gassed and it was going to get ugly. This has pretty much been her mo for years. I couldn’t be happier with the outcome. Coaching is a whole different subject. No excuse for her behavior. None
Agree 100%, a third set wasn't going to happen no matter what, and Serena down deep knew that, so she goes out saying "It's not fair!", and I'm glad she got fined afterwards, totally deserved it, even though the fine was pittance to her.  But being an elitist doesn't pay like it used to. 

I feel sorry for Naomi, Serena took the shine off her trophy.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
The mark of an all-time great isn’t how they win, it’s how they lose.

Finally Serena has come up against someone who is physically strong enough to take her on, and is better prepared and more disciplined.

This is probably the start of the end for Serena. If she were the female equivalent of Roger Federer then she’d use this to motivate herself to re-focus, and come back with some new tricks and in physically better shape. But I don’t think she has that level of class. I hope I am wrong.

The umpire probably is made of the wrong stuff mentally, and should be shuffled off to less high profile matches. He made himself the news. A more skilled umpire might have been able to defuse the situation, and there is a legitimate question about whether a different standard was being applied to Serena than would have been applied to the men.

But, as my father used to say, “two wrongs don’t make a right”.

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 12:37:35 PM »
It was unfortunate end for sure. I to wish Serena had maintained her cool no doubt she does as well. The picture of Serena next to Naomi in the NYT with her eyes closed trying to find calm is just so human and full of vulnerability. This along with her incredible tennis and physicality is why she is so loved.

I would make a strong case that no athlete in the history of sport has been as objectified, sexualized and born racial hate as much as Serena. And that includes Jackie Robinson, Ali, Jack Johnson and Arthur Ashe.  She has taken it all with her big, girl tutu on.

Agree with the "let" change other then that Tennis at its best is gripping drama.

Serena is magnificent in all her humanity. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:39:34 PM by NEplay »
New England Is My Playground

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 01:17:49 PM »
I've always been a Serena Williams fan.
I was dismayed at her behavior at the ceremony.
Her ego stole Naomi's moment. Sad to see.
She is a top role model... this was a great opportunity to show how to handle defeat with dignity.

Naomi Osaka kicked her ass....
and the entire US Open Awards Ceremony was all about Serena.

Chris Everett blubbered over Serena 
"Serena, not the finish we were looking for"  WTF?
then
"Naomi, you played well.... we'll get through this"  huh?

Poor Naomi looked miserable and pissed all the way through what SHOULD have been her magnificent moment of glory.
Her Mom was pissed and sad as well.

Finally  the announcer mentioned that Naomi was the first person from Japan to ever win a US Open....
Too little too late.
Japan is not going to be happy about the disrespect shown Naomi at this awards ceremony.

Christen from JP Morgan Chase, was the only one who treated Naomi with the respect she deserved IMO.

Chris Everett was awful....
she gave a heartfelt hug Serena, as she handed her the runner up trophy
then just "dropped off" the Winners Trophy to poor Naomi.

It's hard to even watch this video of the award ceremony.... a total disgrace for the US Open IMO   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 02:37:38 PM »
What's the deal with tennis players? All sports have a certain level of ego and self-absorption, but tennis seems to take that to new levels. I don't watch it, I don't watch any televised sports, but I watched the clips here. Wow, what a pack of dickheads.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 07:57:12 PM »
I say she’s just catching up to what the guys did for years.

McEnroe, in a classy move, actually acknowledged the double standard.

Let’s wait til she is joking about her bad behavior in a beer ad before we all get outraged. ;)

“Oh my, what will the children think?” You mean about Serena, or the men who cussed and compulsively gambled their way to titles for the last 50 years?

Just sayin’...

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 08:54:24 PM »
Still fully mired in controversy and sexism.  Dickheads yes.  BS galore yes.  Williams vs Osaka -> 0-2.  No fluke.  Coaching foul was just a "warning".  But Serena simply could not let it go and came unhinged as Osaka fired back winning shots.  Osaka simply did not crumble under the booing and center stage pressure.  She played within herself -> one point at a time.  Ramos is hardcore yes.  But sexism.  Hmm?

About history with Ramos in Williams press conference right after losing -> "he's always been a great umpire".

"The sexism narrative also failed to reflect the statistics from the US Open, which showed 86 code violations were handed out to male players in the course of the fortnight, but only 22 to women."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2018/09/10/fire-umpire-carlos-ramos-acted-times-integrity-says-itf-following/

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard