Author Topic: Video: Installing an arch bar on your foil SUP  (Read 3422 times)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Video: Installing an arch bar on your foil SUP
« on: September 08, 2018, 09:53:08 AM »
If there is one thing that has helped me fly better, its proper foot position.  Sometimes I use a strap over the back foot, but lately, I've been rocking a simple arch bar to help me index my back foot.  This video shows how to install a pad on your board.  Its super simple to install, and hopefully, you find it helpful. 

Fun Fact:  Halfway through the installation process, my buddy Jeff said, "you should film this." So a lot of the shots were "re-created" after most of the work was already done.  That is why there are no shots of me peeling off the old pad - which is actually the hardest part. 

Cheers

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:29:11 AM by Evan Lloyd »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Video: Installing an arch bar on your foil SUP
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 10:54:07 AM »
Nice work EL!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 03:20:55 PM »
Very cool. Amazing how well you foil now! i put some old padding remnants on my board for foot placement. Definitely helps. Now I just need to actually start getting more aggressive lifting off. Bit too much hesitation still. But the extra foot padding has helped my confidence just surfing the board alot.

Foil Session8
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qMhTYZBOmErQxBoFTinhc1iNYfPlPuXr/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 03:24:39 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 03:40:56 PM »
Very cool. Amazing how well you foil now! i put some old padding remnants on my board for foot placement. Definitely helps. Now I just need to actually start getting more aggressive lifting off. Bit too much hesitation still. But the extra foot padding has helped my confidence just surfing the board alot.

Foil Session8
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qMhTYZBOmErQxBoFTinhc1iNYfPlPuXr/view?usp=sharing
Yes, yes, yes to the bold. ;) :)

Great video btw EL, I used a full kick pad just because I wasn't using the rear strap, and wanted to find my "spot" all the way back right away...but my new board will have the back strap, so I'll probably do something similar to what you're doing there.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 03:44:04 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 04:53:40 PM »
Bit too much hesitation still. But the extra foot padding has helped my confidence just surfing the board alot.

Foil Session8

Cook: Your still not standing on the center-line.  I would be terrified trying to take off like this.   Get that forward pad installed and put your front foot directly on it. 

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 07:51:40 AM »
Hey EL

This is so timely as I was about to put a rear traction pad on mine.  Couple quick questions.

Did you drill any holes in the center bar? Standard drill bit will do?

I am also going to put the back piece on.  From a location perspective, should the back piece be immediately behind the last screw, or an inch or so past?

Thanks!

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 08:51:34 AM »
I was lucky and the holes in the pad lined up with the Tuttle box. You can drill through the foam really easily, so don’t worry about that.

Some folks like their foot towards the back of the Tuttle box or even behind it. Where you place the pad depends on your board but if installing the full pad, I’d place the end of the pad an inch or two behind the back screw.

Hope this helps.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »
Fish, as I mentioned above, I went with the full kick pad since I wasn't going to use a rear strap on my board, and placed it like this over the mast....

...so I did have to cut the pad in a couple place so I'd be able to get to the two mounting screws.

I've been asked if having the screw heads exposed bothers me, and as it turns out I really like to be able to feel them, as I do move my foot forward on occasion if/when the waves get bigger, and being able to feel the front screw gives me that forward/back locator that I wouldn't have had I not have to had cut the pad out like that (IOWs, I just got lucky).

It should also be noted that my board is one of the earlier Chuck Glynn models that was out when folks weren't exactly sure where the foils should be mounted, so as a result the mast/Tuttle is a couple inches too far forward (22" on a 7'3" board), and is the reason I mounted the kick pad right on the rear bolt instead of an inch or so further behind it. Just something to think about when installing yours if you go with a full pad vs. just an arch bar, and where you you're going to be installing it.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 09:26:01 AM »
thanks guys, your instructions helped a lot.  Hardest part was removing the adhesive.  I probably only got off around 80% of the stuff, still some around the edges.  A lot of acetone and elbow grease.  Pretty happy with the end result, it is so easy now to know where my back foot is. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »

Foil Session8

Yeah, Beasho is right on. You have the same problem Bill Boyum has with foiling--you've been a surfer so long you can't make your feet go where they need to be to foil. It's NOT SURFING. You need to control the foil, not the board.

Both feet across the stringer. Junya McGurn, Dave Kalama's cousin, is the only person I've seen get away with that front foot position, but even he has finally converted. The way you are falling every time is a dead giveaway--always to the side, and mostly to the right because you're leaning that way to try to compensate for your foot position. It won't work, and you're going to get hurt unless you fix that. Draw a line, add a foot strap, whatever, but that front foot can't be there. I know it feels awful at first, but once you're up on the foil it's stable and comfortable. If you had guys around you that are doing it they'd be screaming at you about that front foot position. The back foot isn't perfect, but it's in the ballpark, the front foot is going to make you overcompensate when you finally get well up in the air with a little stability and the foil will come up on the same side you're falling on.  Presto! blender.

Look at where Evan's front foot is, look at where yours is. That's why he's successfully foiling. Time in the water alone won't get it. It has to be time spent doing it right. You are also facing your shoulders to the right side--partly because of your foot position but also to try to compensate, I'd guess. Feet across the stringer. Shoulders rotate to face forward. Hips pushed forward until you're ready to lift off, then slide your hips back as if you were starting to sit down. Bam, you'll come up under control.

Oh, and if you give up and just go surf you'll reinforce all the habits you have that are keeping you from foiling. I had to stop surfing at all to finally get it.

Do it buddy, before you need stitches.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:23:34 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 10:12:04 AM »
thanks guys, your instructions helped a lot.  Hardest part was removing the adhesive.  I probably only got off around 80% of the stuff, still some around the edges.  A lot of acetone and elbow grease.  Pretty happy with the end result, it is so easy now to know where my back foot is. 
Nice job fish, that looks great.  :)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »
Looks good. Installing the pad takes some effort, but it is well worth it. Foot position is so important when flying these things. Have fun out there and let us know how it goes.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 10:34:44 AM »
Oh, and if you give up and just go surf you'll reinforce all the habits you have that are keeping you from foiling. I had to stop surfing at all to finally get it.
once again appreciating all the coaching, tips, and encouragement. You've said it, like 100x now...so did Beash, Sanoslatch, and EvanL, "Foot placement is key"....and I get that. Actually doing it is another thing all togeth. Hopefully next go out (#10) will yield better results. I did put the pads down for foot placement and they help for sure.
Amazing how well this Aussie sup foiler performs w/out markers, pads, or, straps.

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 11:15:13 AM »
Yes, but look at where his feet are. Exactly where they need to be--he starts paddling for the wave with his feet in the right position and doesn't have to shift them. Look at his shoulders--aligned across the board except when he's turning. Lots of guys do it without pads or straps. Some of them have only been doing it a short while, but most of the strapless, padless guys have been doing it for a year or more.

I know it's hard to overcome your surfing position. I tried to get Boyum to start off in the right position, as soon as he turned and went for the wave, but someone really good told him that he could start from the surfing stance and shift to foil position when he starts to get up, so he was convinced that would work. As far as I know, he still isn't foiling. For me, as soon as I turn for the wave I get into foiling position. And I fall a lot doing that. No big deal. Just make yourself be there, even if it's tippy and you fall a few times. Worst case, you fall while the board is still flat on the water. If you're out of position you fall when the board is flying--10X more dangerous.

Frustrating, but you gotta do it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:19:27 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill