Author Topic: Florence  (Read 12187 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Florence
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 04:27:13 AM »
Florence looks like it could be like what we had when Harvey hit Texas. It lingered for 4 days. Dumped 29.75" of a rain at my home in southeast Texas. The big metropolitan city of Houston recorded over 51" of rainfall.

Hope everyone who might be impacted by Florence will be safe and suffer little damage whether that damage would be caused by high winds or flood waters. One thing for sure, there is going to be lots of people without electrical power.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 05:44:29 AM »
In the center of the track, I saw this morning, was Wilmington, NC  ...about 20 miles N of Wilmington is where we stayed for a week in July, Surf City.  Here's a look the secure barrier a storm would have to overcome to do any damage  ...then there's the canal behind the dunes that will quickly drain any water that breaches the barrier.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 11:44:13 AM »
The Storm Surf wave model...  (don't know if it automatically updates)

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=natla_height

Jim

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 06:41:20 PM »
It ain’t just Florence...
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »
WOW! ITCZ train full ahead!  :o
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 07:32:49 PM »
Here in Texas, we're watching Invest 95L which is going to develop into a depression and/or a tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico. From the projected track models, it will make landfall somewhere around Corpus Christi. Maybe by this upcoming weekend.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 03:44:33 AM »
I was in Corpus Christi as a kid and experienced a hurricane that downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it hit.  Mucho rain and wind on the Naval Base.

When I was in New Orleans, I experienced the mere outskirts of a hurricane.  The barometrics even that far away had to be experienced to be believed. The sky moved massively in a uniform direction, gusts reached 70mph and the building kind of popped and creaked as the air pressure changed rapidly back and forth.

Would I stick around for a direct hit from one of those things?  No sirreee.

My (ex) neighbor, in addition to his various exploits, spent some time in the Navy on Guam.  He and a friend thought it would be fun to experience a hurricane direct hit on the island in a boat in the ocean facing harbor.  The friend tethered the boat every which way to Sunday, but the tethers still popped until it was held by only one, so the boat wound up twirling and listing around this one rope.  He engaged the engine, which was worthless, and he and my friend only survived because of the peculiarities of the area of reef they were on.  The boat was wrecked.  I know my (ex) neighbor has done some crazy stuff, but that story nearly took the cake (he has some others).

It wasn't just any boat.  It was the first Australian built boat to circumnavigate the globe, so it was an historical artifact as well.  The boat sat ruined for many years, because the owner could not afford to repair it and had some other troubles surrounding it, but it was eventually hauled back to Australia where it was repaired and placed on display.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 03:48:06 AM by SUPcheat »
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SoFloSupChick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 04:31:58 AM »
I was in Corpus Christi as a kid and experienced a hurricane that downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it hit.  Mucho rain and wind on the Naval Base.

When I was in New Orleans, I experienced the mere outskirts of a hurricane.  The barometrics even that far away had to be experienced to be believed. The sky moved massively in a uniform direction, gusts reached 70mph and the building kind of popped and creaked as the air pressure changed rapidly back and forth.

Would I stick around for a direct hit from one of those things?  No sirreee.

My (ex) neighbor, in addition to his various exploits, spent some time in the Navy on Guam.  He and a friend thought it would be fun to experience a hurricane direct hit on the island in a boat in the ocean facing harbor.  The friend tethered the boat every which way to Sunday, but the tethers still popped until it was held by only one, so the boat wound up twirling and listing around this one rope.  He engaged the engine, which was worthless, and he and my friend only survived because of the peculiarities of the area of reef they were on.  The boat was wrecked.  I know my (ex) neighbor has done some crazy stuff, but that story nearly took the cake (he has some others).

It wasn't just any boat.  It was the first Australian built boat to circumnavigate the globe, so it was an historical artifact as well.  The boat sat ruined for many years, because the owner could not afford to repair it and had some other troubles surrounding it, but it was eventually hauled back to Australia where it was repaired and placed on display.

Dear lordy, dumb and dumber...
2019 Naish Maliko 14' x 26"
2017 Starboard iWindSup 11'2 x 32"

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 06:25:34 AM »
Looks like Zooport is going to experience his first hurricane (remnants). 

Yeah, just got moved in last week.  Ironic. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
83' wave in Storm Walll Waves
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »
I just got a notice to my phone that NOAA measuring waves up to 83' moving in from the storm, I think that is done by radar by satellite but not sure.  It didn't explain how they got that data.  Obviously not buoy data. Wouldn't want to be on barrier sand bar when that thing comes to town.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 08:14:11 PM »
Had to Google it......Scanning radar altimeter gives the hurricane hunters height, frequency, and direction of waves
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2018, 05:26:32 AM »
nuther great flo-sesh yesterday--head plus and the glassiest i have ever see LB--one stroke and youre in--crawled out again, reluctantly.....shit was still firing nicely, i was just broken after 4 hrs

stuck in office today--glad to hear the storm is only cat 2--hate to thrill about great waves when many are being damaged--
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2018, 06:12:13 AM »
I'm hoping my head will be ready for some tomorrow. Couldn't go today, I was supposed to watch my granddaughter but my head exploded last night and still haven't gone to sleep. Do zombies surf? I may find out tomorrow.

I get that feeling too.….getting excited about waves while folks are getting slammed...…. :P
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2018, 09:03:45 AM »
5:30 am, Thurs — Overwash on HAT already...

https://twitter.com/NCDOT_NC12/status/1040214926269272068early

Jim

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 10:26:57 AM »
Off shore cam (~ 34 miles offshore). This is on a live youtube link, not sure how long the broadcast will last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal