Author Topic: Please explain these boards to a newbie  (Read 19611 times)

easy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Please explain these boards to a newbie
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
I'm a beat up old man, 68 yrs,  170lbs,  5' 11" . Bad feet,  knees, back, and shoulders.   I usually paddle a 14x 24.5  2017 Allstar or recently a 14 x 24.5 SIC RS.   I don't do rough open ocean on these boards and I work to stay on  when it gets sloppy, but I like the challenge.    I like an easily driven board and do a lot of paddling in chop so I want a board that goes up wind and can handle cross winds.   I spend the winter months in the southern Bahamas and paddle in mixed conditions.  Thinking 16' x  24".  Andre (sp?) thinks we shouldn't go any narrower.  Haven't had any input from Mark yet.  Andre also thinks we should use a rudder.     I'm not looking for a downwind board. I have other boards for that.   Double carbon construction and looking at pigmented resin,all white board. Board should be around 26+ lbs.   I guess we'll see where this goes. should be interesting. I'm open to any input.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »
I'm a beat up old man, 68 yrs,  170lbs,  5' 11" . Bad feet,  knees, back, and shoulders...  I'm open to any input.

I would take it to 25" and have a little more rocker. Just in case you do want to go
on a livelier ocean. You already have boards at 24 range. with the extra 2' you'll get better
speeds anyway. Make sure to give them input as to volume as well if you haven't already.

As for the rudder, since it's FAST system, no reason not to. you can ride it as a fixed fin or
put the rudder if you do feel like going for a light downwinder. Just make sure they don't install
the damn thing too far back. Fin box placement makes a big difference if you ride it fixed.

I would also ask to include a ventral fin box (about 15-20" forward of sanding area) great for
touring adds a lot of stability in chop and boat wake and really good for cross winds.

Good move going that route.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2018, 12:03:56 AM »
If you are already fine on a 14x24.5 RS then a 16x24 should be fairly easy. There’s not really any reason to drop another inch unless you intend to race, and going to 22” wide would be too far.

I’m not a fan of rudders for most applications. They add a lot of weight, maintenance, cost, and complication and often don’t work particularly well IMO, and make surfing your board - surely one of the greatest joys of a raceboard - more difficult. But other people love them. So that’s your call. But if you do have a rudder, then Burchas is right - make sure the box is in a compromise position that will work for both a fixed fin and a rudder, so if you find the rudder doesn’t work for you, you can remove it.

Related to this, I’d make sure that there is plenty of standing deck area ahead of the handle, so that you can paddle in quite a forward position if you need to. With an UL board, you can compensate quite effectively in cross-winds by standing a little more forward of your usual standing position. It doesn’t need to be much - just 6-10 inches or so, but it’s worth planning the design of the board so you can do it. This in my experience can work better even than a rudder to compensate for cross-wind or chop because you aren’t adding drag (the purpose of a rudder is to add drag, of a particular kind).

A 16ft RS will be an *amazing* board. You are going to get a lot of pleasure out of that, and be the envy of everyone who sees it. The extra length (and volume that comes from that) will allow you to go quite a bit more sleek in the nose and tail if you wish which should make it even slippier through the water. More glide, greater stability. Wonderful.

PS: I’d get the rear leash plug a little further back than on the 14.

easy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2018, 07:39:35 PM »
Thanks burchas and Area 10.  Lots of good input.    I'm going to use this to make some notes to use when I talk to Mark.  I'm not going to try and tell Mark Raaphorst how to build a board, but it will be good to hear his thoughts on some of these ideas.  I also know what I want performance wise out of this board.    Unfortunately   it's going to be two or three months before they can start building these boards.  Then they have to be shipped to Florida.  It's going to be a long wait. I'd really like to have them in the Bahamas this winter, but i don't think that's going to happen.   I guess I'll have to get by on the 14' Allstars and 14' RS.  Or i can play on the Bullet V1 or V2. 

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2018, 08:58:50 PM »
Unfortunately   it's going to be two or three months before they can start building these boards.  Then they have to be shipped to Florida.

That seems somewhat odd, usually not a busy season right now. Maybe take some time to
think over the board specs? My only suggestion is, don't sleep on them, my experience with
them that is was good to keep finger on the pulse...

I think there is a chance you'll have it for your Bahamas Winter. As for shipping, I'm not sure
if they already figured out how to ship it air, the added cost was not as high compared to the
boat but we are talking 3 day delivery, Airport to Airport just like Blue Planet ships.

I would also hit https://www.alohafreight.com for shipping options and prices. They are
specialized in board shipping. Had really good experience with them 1/3 of the price of every
other company and the best care I've ever seen by far! figuring out the shipping in advance
might land you the boards just in time. Good Luck and keep up posted when you get them
so we can feast our eyes on these beauties.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2018, 05:20:25 PM »
Yeah, it’s funny isn’t it? - The Vapor (14x26) is apparently only a handful of litres more than the Maliko (14x26) but it feels like more. And although the Maliko is certainly not unstable, the Vapor feels definitely more stable. It kinda shows how little that dimensions and volume tell you about how a board really feels when you are paddling it.

After a few paddles with the Maliko (but no downwind) it definitely does not have this comfort and ease in the chop that the Vapor has.
However on flat water it does feel (measurement in different conditions are even more subjective) faster and to have a little bit more glide. It does feel like you can keep it going "over" the water with a 40 spm cadence for longer. Not sure if it is the shape or the weight or both. I would be very curious to try the exact same board with 4 or 5 pounds less to compare.
It seems to fit the bill of what I was looking for a board for flat to light to complete the Vapor for light to heavier. The Ace been my touring board for distance.
I am sure that the SIC RS or the Sidewinder II might have been even better for that purpose but used boards tend to fit my budget better....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 05:23:45 PM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »
Maliko is usefully faster than Vapor in pure flat water.
Maliko is probably very slightly faster than an equivalent-width Sidewinder would be in flat water.
SIC RS is a little bit faster than the Maliko in pure flat water, and tiny DW.
Vapor and RS are similar stability.
Maliko and Sidewinder are similar stability.
Vapor much better in decent downwind than RS.
Maliko pretty good downwind, more like the Vapor than the RS. More technical than the Vapor.
I don’t know about the Sidewinder V2 downwind. The V1 was not very good DW.

Pros and cons to all of them. All nice boards.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal