Author Topic: Please explain these boards to a newbie  (Read 19605 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Please explain these boards to a newbie
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2018, 10:16:33 AM »
I know the M14 x28 and Rail x26. So I’m guessing and extrapolating for the Rail x28.

Flatwater for sure the rail faster. It’s a surprising fast board on flats. And chop. The Rail has a slight V under the nose  and lower tip rocker. So both longer waterline and doesn’t slap in chop. The overall shape is sleeker and faster too.

Surfing similar I guess. M14 has a slightly wider tail and more tip rocker. So depends what kind of waves. I’m guess the Rail is lighter and more nimble. But the M14 I know is the older heavy one. The new ones may be lighter.

DW the Rail is faster at taking off. Especially for lighter DWs. The M14 comes into it’s own well above 30kn.

Why not Rail x26? It has that hammock like stability that one tunes in to very intuitively and quickly.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2018, 12:01:21 PM »
Thanks. In answer to your Q, I was asking about the two boards that are the same width since it’s pretty obvious how a 26” wide 14ft board is gonna compare to a 28” wide one in some regards - I’m more interested in how different designs work rather than differences just due to volume and width.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2018, 04:51:45 PM »
  Shipping from the UK could be a BIG $ problem.

In your case there is no need for shipping at all. Look right in your back yard at Delray Beach.

OK, I'm listening!

Check out http://birdsurfboards.com. I did major repairs and restoration job with them.
Excellent job and fast turn around time. According to mike the owner, they can accommodate
board sizes up to 16'. I would start with him.

You can always work something out with supuk  (that's the shaper Area 10 is referring to,
he's a on the forum as well). to use his shape. If that doesn't work out, reach out to me,
I've been riding that board your fantasizing about more or less for the past year.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2018, 12:16:42 PM »
After a couple of paddle with the Maliko, I am very positive about the board with the limitation that the weight does not help in flat.
Saturday went upwind/downwind from the beach on a breeze and tide coming in. Groomed stuff.
The nose poke through the chop nicely and without slowing the board. Likewise, when taking a small bump, you can just bury slightly the nose to take it and then it pops almost by itself.
Sunday did some flat water and did not notice any issue. As soon as there is a ripple then you can get the board into it. Still working out the best trim for flat water to max waterline but not push too much water on the nose..
I was somewhat surprised how stable the board is on groomed and flat. If I did not know better, I would say that I could get away with a 24" for everything light.
I guess that the shape, low on the water and weight are the main factors.

Two things not so great:
1) water seems to pool on the deck in teh standing area. I am almost considering trying a deflector like on a dugout
2) the traditional handle sucks. Garbing the board at any kind of angle is almost impossible. SIC handle or strap are a lot better.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2018, 12:32:00 PM »
Well, if you are garbing the handle, no wonder it feels awkward ;)

I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to balance on a 14x24 Maliko. In flat water it wasn’t a problem, even though my balance is crap. But whether it would work for me if I really put the hammer down I’m not so sure. The 24 is quite low volume so you’d better not be too heavy or you’ll be dragging the tail or ploughing the nose.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2018, 02:39:21 PM »
Well, if you are garbing the handle, no wonder it feels awkward ;)

I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to balance on a 14x24 Maliko. In flat water it wasn’t a problem, even though my balance is crap. But whether it would work for me if I really put the hammer down I’m not so sure. The 24 is quite low volume so you’d better not be too heavy or you’ll be dragging the tail or ploughing the nose.

Very good point. I think that the volume would be too low for me so it would negate any speed gain from been narrower. The waterline of the 26 is already quite low.
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2018, 03:27:05 PM »
Yeah, it’s funny isn’t it? - The Vapor (14x26) is apparently only a handful of litres more than the Maliko (14x26) but it feels like more. And although the Maliko is certainly not unstable, the Vapor feels definitely more stable. It kinda shows how little that dimensions and volume tell you about how a board really feels when you are paddling it.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2018, 10:03:05 PM »
It looks like Naish's web site is showing the real weight now and there was no reduction compared to 2018 real measured weights.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:05:33 PM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

easy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2018, 11:51:28 PM »
It looks like Naish's web site is showing the real weight now and there was no reduction compared to 2018 real measured weights.

I have been thinking about picking up a couple of 2019 Malikos but I can't do it. The board design sounds like just what I have been looking for, but the backyard paint job, the heavy  " Carbon " construction
 and, the Naish record for build quality doesn't work for me. For $3200+ no thanks.   

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2018, 02:30:55 AM »

I have been thinking about picking up a couple of 2019 Malikos but I can't do it. The board design sounds like just what I have been looking for, but the backyard paint job, the heavy  " Carbon " construction
 and, the Naish record for build quality doesn't work for me. For $3200+ no thanks.   
If you want fast all-waters race boards then try the SIC RS and Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder. Both are nice and light, and the build of the Sidewinder in particular is just about as good as it gets in a production board.

Having said that, I still like that Naish are using full PVC wrap (if they are). I’ll take the extra weight penalty gladly for the extra durability. But the paint... hmm... I have a Naish Nalu that chips as soon as I look at it, and the colour scheme for the 2019 Maliko is unlikely to win them any sales, I suspect. The graphics of the RS and Sidewinder look my classier to my eye.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2018, 08:12:32 AM »

CAD 2,200 used but like new, does feel a lot better and the deciding factor versus a brand new RS or Sidewinder (even with a winter discount).
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »
the Naish record for build quality doesn't work for me. For $3200+ no thanks.   

That was exactly my point. This price is in a custom board territory.
I got my 14 footer custom less than that and the 16 footer at about that.

My color choice (resin tint no paint, matte finish) and super solid construction.
I still can't believe my board survived the past few stormy days with no dings.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2018, 11:19:08 AM »
This price is in a custom board territory.
 the 16 footer at about that.
My color choice (resin tint no paint, matte finish) and super solid construction.
I still can't believe my board survived the past few stormy days with no dings.

8) I will resist.....at least until next year......and results on your new design.
Blackfish Paddles

easy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2018, 03:32:47 PM »
 Just had my first discussion with Andre about about my new SIC RS 16 x ?   Forgive me Lord, for I know not what I do.  Should be interesting.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2018, 03:54:24 PM »
Just had my first discussion with Andre about about my new SIC RS 16 x ?   Forgive me Lord, for I know not what I do.  Should be interesting.
:)

You could go pretty narrow with a 16ft RS. What do you weigh, and what are you thinking?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal