Author Topic: Is there any skill transfer between SUP and windsurfing?  (Read 15635 times)

SoFloSupChick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Is there any skill transfer between SUP and windsurfing?
« on: September 02, 2018, 09:12:22 PM »
I have a WindSUP. Beginner in both areas.

The one beginner-friendly windsurfing location in our area is currently inaccessible due to hurricane Irma, and I’ve been kind of chicken to try in other areas, because there’s no shallow bottom. So I’m wondering if spending time paddling will improve my windsurfing in any way, or I should just stop being a chicken, haha. Also, are there any specific things that I could practice on a SUP, that could help with windsurfing?

Don’t get me wrong, I actually have a ton of fun on the water no matter what I’m doing out there. But it would be nice though to be able to take advantage of those windier days.
2019 Naish Maliko 14' x 26"
2017 Starboard iWindSup 11'2 x 32"

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is there any skill transfer between SUP and windsurfing?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:37:52 AM »
''Is there any skill transfer between SUP and windsurfing?'' ... no..  :)

''just stop being a chicken''... yes..  8)

SoFloSupChick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 08:18:36 AM »
Dammit... haha
Not even balance and moving around on the board..?

OK, fine, I guess I'll just have to do it...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:25:26 AM by SoFloSupChick »

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 08:47:22 AM »
I strongly recommend getting professional lessons as the fastest path to learn to learn sailboarding.  Sailing skills are somewhat more transferrable than SUP skills, however even skilled sailors benefit from professional lessons.

If you enjoy the basics of "sailboarding," then more lessons are needed to learn higher performance aspects of the sport - and transition to "windsurfing," a  more worthy description of the sport after you learn how to get the rig "up on a plane" and accelerating to velocities higher than the wind speed.

The hard part is finding highly qualified instructors, you may have to travel to find good instruction.  I went to two ABK Windsurfing Camps back in the day, they helped me nail waterstarts and get comfortable with planing in the footstraps.   https://www.abkboardsports.com 

MAX

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
Dammit... haha
Not even balance and moving around on the board..?

OK, fine, I guess I'll just have to do it...

Aloha SoFloSupChick,
Of course, there are many skills that transfer between SUP and windsurfing...including, your intuitive suggestion of balance and moving around on the board...all time spent standing on the water is transferable in one way or another...TOW = Time on the Water...especially, light wind holding up the laundry wind putting...let alone reading the water while paddling or sailing for chop...bumps...swells...waves...and, actual wave riding...etc...

As far as maneuvers...there is a direct correlation between SUP pivot turns and windsurf pivot or snap jibes, where you move to the tail of the board...sinking it and getting the nose of the board out of the water to turn around in a short amount of area...

https://paddling.com/learn/sup-pivot-turns/

http://www.roynbartholdi.com/windsurfing/tutorial/jibes/snap-jibe

I taught these young girls how to do them 9 years ago, on Labor Day, at one of our many SUP demos...

I also have quite a few vid clips of SUP,  windSUP, & windsurfing on my You Tube channel that you may find useful...

https://www.youtube.com/SUPsport
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SoFloSupChick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 10:22:36 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

I did have a couple of beginner lessons already, and I think at this point I just need to put some hours in practicing the basics (just going back and forth and making basic turns without falling over), before I'm ready to progress further.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »
I windsurfed for twenty or more years before I tried SUP for the first time--I sucked as badly as the newest grom. Of course that was early days of sup when a wide board was 26 inches, but still... no crossover, at least not for me.

My recollection of windsurfing in Florida is endless days of ten-knot winds. The hard part of windsurfing starts when you have to waterstart. The light wind stuff you can get deep into without lessons past beginner up-hauling, basic sailing, and turning around to go the other way. Don't misunderstand, some of the most spectacular windsurfing is low wind freestyling. It's simply that managing a board in 30kts is a skill set that should be mastered with instruction.

But no, there isn't much crossover other than getting into any watersport opens the door to others--that's simply exposure. Lifelong experts like Wardog (SUP Sports) probably think so because they've been doing it so long they can see the subtle similarities. As evidence, I submit even the notion of the similarities between a snap jibe and a pivot turn. Both are advanced elements that you might learn after 100 hours or so of windsurfing or SUP paddling. But in the early days, from what I've seen--nope.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 04:18:00 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 04:44:04 PM »
The girls that I taught how to pivot turn were "never evers'...they had never been on a standup paddleboard...0 hours of experience...

Here they are in pics taking our dry land paddle class before hitting the water...and, they aren't the only ones that we have taught this skill to on their first day...

They are both watersports that require you to standup and balance on a board...shlogging in on a windsurf board when the wind dies...holding up the laundry...crawling back up on the board when you fall off...uphauling...etc...are definitely skill sets that transfers to SUP...they both require core strength, balancing, dealing with pitch, roll, and yaw...etc...

I suspect that logrolling would cross over as well...;-)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:23:07 PM by SUP Sports ® »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SoFloSupChick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 05:04:26 PM »
BTW, what is "holding up the laundry"?

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 05:08:37 PM »
BTW, what is "holding up the laundry"?

Holding a windsurf sail rig up on a board in little to no wind...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:11:20 PM by SUP Sports ® »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SoFloSupChick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 05:13:38 PM »
Ah, gotcha! Yup, been there :)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 05:22:56 PM »
I windsurfed for twenty or more years before I tried SUP for the first time--I sucked as badly as the newest grom. Of course that was early days of sup when a wide board was 26 inches, but still... no crossover, at least not for me.

My recollection of windsurfing in Florida is endless days of ten-knot winds. The hard part of windsurfing starts when you have to waterstart. The light wind stuff you can get deep into without lessons past beginner up-hauling, basic sailing, and turning around to go the other way. Don't misunderstand, some of the most spectacular windsurfing is low wind freestyling. It's simply that managing a board in 30kts is a skill set that should be mastered with instruction.

But no, there isn't much crossover other than getting into any watersport opens the door to others--that's simply exposure. Lifelong experts like Wardog (SUP Sports) probably think so because they've been doing it so long they can see the subtle similarities. As evidence, I submit even the notion of the similarities between a snap jibe and a pivot turn. Both are advanced elements that you might learn after 100 hours or so of windsurfing or SUP paddling. But in the early days, from what I've seen--nope.
+1
Windsailing is kinda just standup sailing without a rudder. To turn you tilt the mast. You tilt the mast forward to initiate a jibe (down wind turn), and tilt it back to tack ( up wind turn). In light winds the board remain pretty flat. Usually a daggerboard is used to aid in holding a tack angle. You're really just sailing around. Windsurfing is sailing and surfing which as Pono stated, requires a much higher skill set. YOU NEED STRONG WIND, the right board and the right sail (to match the wind speed). No daggerboard is used, because you're actually turning the board with the assistance of the board rails. So your combining mast angle and making a surf turn on the board. Add water starts and a harness, and you just jumped from paddle boarding on a lake to surfing in big surf. When I quit in the early 90's, I had got to the point of jumping waves, but no looping. My height always posed an issue with boom height. I had my mast foot extended all the way and my boom pushed as high as I could get it, but it was still just low enough to cause me back problems. I still have some of my windsurfing gear. I've been temped to take it out, but I'm sure I'll be scratching my head when I rig it. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:26:05 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 06:15:21 PM »
You guys are missing the missing link...windSUP...and, windSUP surfing...and, windSUP foiling...all kinda kine skills transfer...;-)

You don't need more than 10 knots...you use a SUP sized board...no footstraps, either...you are basically use a sail rig to motor around and catch waves rather than paddling...and, even a novice SUP sailor moving across the water in 10 knots is almost faster than any standup paddler on the planet...and, it's really fun with 10 knots in flatwater with a windSUP on a foil...;-)

https://youtu.be/fS1wKahAK5s

https://youtu.be/eY0CVCSmKYY

https://youtu.be/_0QmOG4nD1s

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 12:15:23 PM »
Another skill that directly transfers from wavesailing on a windsurfer to SUP, is picking up swells way outside the immediate surf zone...just as they are just starting to feel the bottom to become a wave...setting them up...and, then dropping in from an already standing position...

There is a certain Zen to light air windSUP and windFoil...and, more high performance "extreme windsurfing"...if you have the skills and are lucky enough to score the conditions...is more fun than a barrel full of monkeys in a banana cream pie factory...;-)

All TOW (time on the water) counts for something...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal