Author Topic: Stingray Decoy  (Read 1976 times)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Stingray Decoy
« on: September 01, 2018, 04:30:55 PM »
So waiting between sets yesterday I saw some thrashing in the water outside the break and paddled a little close to investigate. As I get a little closer the thrashing stops and three dark object dart towards me. Three juvenile eagle rays circle around me a couple times and then swim off. Kinda a fun moment, I wonder how much they where actually confused by the shape of the foil. Anyone else have something like this happen?

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stingray Decoy
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 05:01:16 AM »
Initially the “thrashing” in the water would have me clenching in many areas because you never know what’s about to happen.
 But then seeing the Rays kook about with the foil, obviously saying “ Hey dude, wassup ?” Would have been fun.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 08:21:44 PM »
Rays are so cool. We've had tons of em here in NJ this summer. A coupla days they were so thick on the inside I was like "Don't fall, dude!" Funny those rats you encountered were curious about you. Can't help but think they are relating to the foil wing.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 09:22:23 PM »
Classic. They must all be like, “who are all these new blue and red punk rock rays?”

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 09:59:56 PM »
Don't sharks eat rays? So will a foil be mistaken for dinner?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 11:13:53 PM »
There’s been some discussion on Seabreeze.

I’d assume it’s got to happen before long. Should be fun for whoever gets rocked off their board by a shark hitting their foil looking for dinner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal