Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 97807 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2019, 06:20:41 PM »
Those are beautiful. Nice wood...I've never heard of Red Mangaris. Looks similar to the Lyptus I made Bill's gates from. Looks long grained....fibrous stuff is always a pain.

I bought a used chainsaw mill. Now I just need to buy a bigger chainsaw...:). I see lots of opportunities to slab some nice trees here. I have a whole boatload of cedar of my own. I still own a chunk of woods with oak, maple and pine. I just missed a nice one when my next door neighbor listened to the tree guy talk her into paying to take down the 70+ year old weeping cherry in her yard that was all burled from the base to about 10'. I had told her I'd take it down for free. She said it had bugs in it so I wouldn't want it..... :o ::). I'm headed down to the beach tomorrow to pick up a large driftwood beam and a log.

I'm building a dust collection system. Not the long branched type but a swinging gantry overhead so I can reach each tool, better airflow that way. All my tools will be powered from a master slave switch so when I turn on any of them the vacuum will automatically kick on. I don't bother with the overhead air filter. My shop isn't heated or even insulated so I have a box fan always running in the window...cold but clean air.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 06:43:00 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: December 08, 2019, 07:36:24 PM »
The new OSHA Silica laws require job site vacuums to be reverse-pulse self cleaning with dual HEPA filters. They are expensive, but they keep the air clear and don't clog up. Here are those doors / gates installed. The Red Mangaris I used is almost as hard as Ipe but cheaper. They both make superior decking. Similar to teak. They don't take a stain very well. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 09, 2019, 11:12:06 AM »
stones--my lung issues are worse in the winter also--in my case, it's all about forced air heat, through old ducts, in old buildings--youve likely long ago checked the box, but inspect/change your furnace filters, and consider putting a good hepa air cleaner in your bedroom--i think this has helped me--i try to do exercise that gets me winded, daily, as often as possible--not sure this will help but im trying-- copd runs all over my family, and i have mild asthma etc, so i worry it may be lurking for me too

and, given your history, id bet allergies factor in (they sure do with me)--strangely, cleaner diet can really help with allergies too--even breathing related allergies

you are a tough guy--props to you that you reached out---it aint easy for a guy who always helped, never needed, to ask for help---well, youve got credits in your acct here at the zone--and youve prolly got a vault full with the rest of your folk--tap into it, and feel well

like you and td talkin' shop---keep on, man---whatever's going on youve got teams behind you

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 09, 2019, 01:18:22 PM »
hey bob:

have you given any serious thought to riding or at least trying a waveski?  it's all i can do now, and i'm having a fairly good time with it, even tho some days i'll only catch a wave or two.  i'm in san diego but i did leave my old infinity waveski with a friend in RI if you want to give it a go.  it's of the longboard style and i think might float you.  twas made for a paraplegic before i got it.  think about it!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #259 on: December 09, 2019, 04:46:01 PM »
Those are beautiful TD love that look.

Thanks Erik...and I may take you up on the waveski.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 11, 2019, 09:10:54 AM »
okay, bob, it's there and available.  only thing missing is ... a double-bladed paddle.   hmmmm.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #261 on: December 30, 2019, 02:14:11 PM »
I hear you Eastie.....I'm transitioning to a anti-inflammatory diet...slowly but getting there. Hoping that it helps not only with the breathing but the arthritis too. Losing weight will help also. I have a hepa filter in the bedroom. Allergies for sure...effects both my breathing and my head. I know I have people behind me for sure.....definitely makes it easier.

okay, bob, it's there and available.  only thing missing is ... a double-bladed paddle.   hmmmm.

I actually have one made already.… 8)....I had planned to give it to my sister in law but then Bill mentioned she wasn't really going out anymore so it has been sitting in the garage. Not sure when I might try it but thanks. I'm still trying to push myself to get back out there on my board more. Avoiding the crazy stuff that I used to love but I think I can still do clean days...maybe some clean surf local tomorrow in fact. Going to give it a go in the afternoon if my head is on straight in the morning.
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #262 on: December 30, 2019, 02:34:45 PM »
Speaking of support. Bill new I was going crazy...needed something more to do. We've discussed CNC machines a little here and there. I was planning on getting a small hobbyist machine to play with. My wife had actually ordered one for Christmas....then Bill told me he wanted to get me one that was a bit more serious. So I ordered this just this morning after a bunch of research. Axiom Pro+ 8 CNC with the laser added for good measure.
My mind is almost exploding with ideas on what to make. I've been playing with the software for it....pretty straightforward. Still lots to learn but I'll be able to set it up and get cutting almost immediately I think. happening fast....I had expected to have to wait a few weeks at least so I called to see if they could expedite the software so I could work on stuff while I wait (downloaded trial version can't import or save files)  but it's getting shipped tomorrow. So stoked....

So you'll be seeing some CNC stuff in my work from now on. I've already got a dozen projects to do...:)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:37:30 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: December 30, 2019, 03:43:10 PM »
Sweet! I've got some projects for you too ;D
It's not overhead to me!

supthecreek

« Reply #264 on: December 30, 2019, 03:53:07 PM »
Nice work Bill.... perfect outlet for Bob's creativity!  Well done!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 31, 2019, 02:31:16 AM »
merry Christmas!!   perfect present

have at that thang, stones--cant wait to see what you make with it................
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #266 on: February 15, 2020, 01:40:53 PM »
We've discussed cutting out certain foods and what kinds of effects they can have on you but I wasn't expecting anything so dramatic as whats happened to me. My wife and I joined a new fitness/wellness gym here in town. The gym isn't open yet but we joined early and met with them for meal planning. 1st month we are on a pretty restrictive diet. No sugar, low carbs, no gluten, no dairy, no grains. Protien shakes in the morning, protein bars for snacks. lean meat and vegetables for lunch and supper. We started 3 weeks ago and I'm down 24 lbs.

But that isn't the dramatic part. The COPD was killing me, couldn't do much of anything physical. Walking a flight of stairs left me gasping. I'd wake up each morning and cough for 10 minutes getting rid of phlegm...pretty gross. And I'd continue to cough all day of and on...truly sucked. Thought for sure my water time was done. 4 days in I woke up in the morning and wasn't coughing...it's continued to improve. I've been blown away. I managed to surf....albeit poorly a couple times since. Today we went to a boot camp (gym will be open in 2 weeks) at the facility. 1.5 hours of working out, heavy cardio included. I worked up a good sweat but never had to stop. So this time I'm committed...who wouldn't be....by June I plan to be at my fighting weight of 230 lbs. I'm doing the CCBC this year after a being out last year and really looking forward to surfing without an extra 60 lbs on me. So stoked...…

Oh....and I also have my CNC machine running well finally....some glitches in the early going. I'm making this 3D model of my local and hope to carve it next week.

And speaking of my local....for some reason despite looking at these charts before for spots to surf I missed this ledge 1/2 mile out. I spoke to some area fisherman and they said it breaks into a nice A frame out there. not a convenient spot to get to but I'm also thinking about getting a small boat that would make it easier.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:46:58 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #267 on: February 15, 2020, 03:52:24 PM »
This is great news Stoney! Great news.... I'm in over a year now with essentially a no sugar diet and down 30 lbs. My sweets that I live on is Lily's extra dark chocolates. Kayadogg turned me on to them. No sugar, no weight gain, and all natural. I buy them by the case on Amazon. I get my coffee with steamed Almond milk only. Your body will do amazing things when you treat it right.
Stay the course, but don't over do it at the gym. The weight lose comes from reduced but quality intake, not so much the gym stuff. Lower volume boards and more agility equals mo fun :)   

Best news I've heard in a long time.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:55:50 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2020, 05:47:39 PM »
way to better yerself, bill, so glad to hear it!  and that you've been able to stand on a board.  good thing you didn't take me up on that 'ski or you'd be doing like i do and pining for the better ol' days.  and sometimes i'll try to stretch my legs out and get a few tooties over but it sure ain't the same when you're sitting down.

go get em, my friend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JREqh5XdkKE

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 15, 2020, 05:59:43 PM »
Take it a bit slow on the weight loss. People have neen saying for years that slow weight loss was better than fast, but now there's some pretty solid research on why it's so.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM