Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 97967 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #240 on: November 03, 2019, 02:59:46 AM »
Sharing your passion with your grandkid is really so nice.
The scary tiki is a real original, beautiful work.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #241 on: December 06, 2019, 05:21:54 AM »
This is really getting old...me too I guess. I'll be limiting my surf to clean and smaller days from now on. In addition to all the rest of the bullshit my COPD is getting worse. I tried going out last week in some chest high waves with a bit of chop and the effort of keeping upright left me gasping in no time. Caught one wave, wiped out when it closed on me and came up coughing and breathless and completely spent. A half hour on the water and I was gassed.... >:(. If I want to surf I can't be fighting chop anymore which doubly sucks because that's what has been most effective as therapy for the vertigo.
It's tough to remain positive in the face of it. I've lost so much to this damn thing. Skiing, biking, my tree farm..were the 1st victims. And now driving, my career, most surfing and lots of other little stuff are gone. Honestly I have a hard time coming on here because seeing everyone doing what I love and talking story is tough when you can't do it and have no stories to tell..... :(.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 06, 2019, 07:25:19 AM »
shit, stones, youve been a poster child for optimism tenacity and dignity through this mess--all i can say is believe in yourself and your internal resources--and lean on the fact that you are a good human---world needs more humans like you

and i am sure your world--your family and friends--needs you best you can be--so just keep going---as always

saddens me to feel your frustration,stones-- but, when i think of you, i dont think of a frustrated guy---i think of a tough decent guy who got dealt a shitty hand and made best possible in spite of it----for himself, his friends and family---and us zoners whove known you for years

hang in there--lotta zoners believe in you--certainly a lot of other family and folk do too

i dont pray, but i believe in decent human will--and there are many humans willing you do well

good luck

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 06, 2019, 09:57:29 AM »
This is really getting old...me too I guess. I'll be limiting my surf to clean and smaller days from now on. In addition to all the rest of the bullshit my COPD is getting worse. I tried going out last week in some chest high waves with a bit of chop and the effort of keeping upright left me gasping in no time. Caught one wave, wiped out when it closed on me and came up coughing and breathless and completely spent. A half hour on the water and I was gassed.... >:(. If I want to surf I can't be fighting chop anymore which doubly sucks because that's what has been most effective as therapy for the vertigo.
It's tough to remain positive in the face of it. I've lost so much to this damn thing. Skiing, biking, my tree farm..were the 1st victims. And now driving, my career, most surfing and lots of other little stuff are gone. Honestly I have a hard time coming on here because seeing everyone doing what I love and talking story is tough when you can't do it and have no stories to tell..... :(.

That’s really tough Stoneaxe. It sucks. And unfortunately I really don’t have any words that will help. I’m guessing no one really does. But if it offers you anything at all, you need to know that there is a community here that is thinking of you and hoping for better things for you. I know it’s only words, and they may sound empty, but there can sometimes be comfort and healing within a community.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: December 06, 2019, 12:09:20 PM »
Let's start a new thread. 'Never throw in the towel'. I'm a realist. I'm going to die, and surprised I haven't done it to myself with all the stupid shit I've done over the years. Still here. One of my best friends died a slow death in his late 20's. Huntington's disease. Horrible. Took almost 7 years. Bedridden for about 5 years. I would drive and a few times fly with him to auto races. He had two seizures with me on the plane, and I had to assure everyone that he was going to be fine. Eventually he couldn't go anywhere. To young, and way too drawn out. His dad had it but died fairly quick due to complications. His poor mom had to go through that twice.
That experience taught me that ever day is a gift. If I ever catch myself wishing I could had done or could still do what I used to be able to do, I reflect on all of those who never had the opportunity to live that next day. Life isn't fair. There was a guy I was sitting in the line-up with who was in his 80's. He couldn't surf anymore. He just liked to paddle out on his big glider longboard and float around. He'd paddle after some outside bump and catch a brief moment of glide. He still put that wet suit on and got wet.
I have some friends who are disabled and love to get out in the surf as much as they can. All of them are in wheel chairs. One lost his legs in an ice grinder. He still wants to get out on the water. The waves will throw him on the rocks, and he'll drag himself onto the shore. It's all about perspective and realizing we lived another day. I joined this forum because I wanted to learn more about shaping and glassing. It turned out to be a not only a great bunch of people who love getting out on the water and want share their experiences, but a place we all learn and grow.
Over the years I've developed this vague exit plan. I'll never retire (or throw in the towel), just quit doing some shit. The physical activities will end. Then I'll finally have time to read more, play the piano more, take more pictures, and maybe cook more. All these things I have to look forward to.
One day at a time. Each day is a gift.
BTW, the random threads are the best ;) I want to see your next project Stoney. Always.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #245 on: December 06, 2019, 03:24:02 PM »
Bobby, your talents are amazing, and as has been said, a real gift for your Grand Children and your daughters!
And us... so keep posting my friend!

Let's play some golf. I'll drive!
Or I'll just come up and play "Driving Master Stoney" and shoot the breeze as we explore the coast!

Good thoughts TD... so true!

I have full realization that some day the abilities will no longer be there.
My Father showed me how to accept life as it comes, because it does.
He was happy and peaceful at every stage.
Even the day before he died, he was smiling and singing with my daughters and I.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 06, 2019, 04:02:18 PM »
If standing on a stand-up in choppy water is good therapy you might want to check out Roberts balance board he sales at Blue Planet. I've got one and it helps my suping balance. Good luck

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 06, 2019, 06:34:14 PM »
Thanks for those words STC … "Accept life as it comes, because it does" … and that's the damn truth. For me, I keep telling myself "its not what happens, but how you respond". That's not always easy, but it's really up to you. If you want to be miserable, you will be. But if you want to look for the positives and be thankful and happy, well that's available too.
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 06, 2019, 11:35:13 PM »
I am sorry to hear that your path has gotten more difficult.  It really sucks getting forced to stop doing the things we love. While the way we deal with this varies somehow the human seems to deal with a lot at times. And you seem to have gotten a lot.
The end of active surfing is for most of us here a closer reality then the distant first surf in our youth.  When I think of the day when I can’t pull it off anymore, I know the pull of the waves will get me to the beach.
If you can still enjoy the small and clean in doses that is great.
And the wood carving is something I hope you can continue.  Leave the carving on the water to those coming behind.
And as far as talking story, I would not doubt you are fully loaded with those.

supthecreek

« Reply #249 on: December 07, 2019, 05:04:52 AM »
Hey Bobby, I just had a thought....
Have you considered a surf ski?

It would still have some balance involved, to help with vertigo.... but it might give you much more time on the water.
Browns Bank seem like the perfect place for that.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: December 07, 2019, 07:37:22 AM »
Hey Bobby, I just had a thought....
Have you considered a surf ski?

It would still have some balance involved, to help with vertigo.... but it might give you much more time on the water.
Browns Bank seem like the perfect place for that.
Anyone with upper body weight is going to have a tough time on a surfski... I couldn't even stay upright in flat smooth water. I lasted about 10 minutes of struggling. Big leaning curve. OC1's are much easier. That ama (outrigger) makes all the difference. Almost zero learning curve, single ended paddle just like sup. The Butt Boards aka WaveSki's are an option as well. They get you into the surf, but the COPD and Vertigo is going to limit any of these exercises.
It's not overhead to me!

supthecreek

« Reply #251 on: December 07, 2019, 08:39:54 AM »
Yeah... I was referring to a Wave Ski, not surfski.... my bad.
I just didn't want to use the term "Buttboarding", as it sounds too much like "Sweeping" to me  ;D ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #252 on: December 07, 2019, 10:12:12 PM »
Thank you guys for the support. I'm doing everything I can to try and stem the tide. Losing weight finally, going on an anti-inflammatory diet, wearing a full face respirator at all times doing any work in the shop and even a dust mask when I'm working outside. I've spent my life with breathing problems....long history of asthma, bronchitis, and pneumonia. It's going to be my lungs that kill me I think.
I realize I need to accept this at some level...even while I fight it. I just feel like there is so much I still wanted to do out there. But it's definitely a 1st world problem.

I'll definitely take you up on that Creek...golf too though I suck these days. I went from a 12 handicap to "lets not discuss it" almost overnight when my balance went. Still have my clubs though. Lunch and gas on me for surf trips.... 8)

I always have it worse in the winter. I usually spend half of it with bronchitis anyway, on meds now for it in fact. Once this bout passes I'm going to try and get back out on a less than clean day and see if I can push it up some.

I hate sitting and paddling that low, not sure why but not my thing.

I'm going to have less time to think about it anyway. My very generous brother is buying me a CNC machine. I've been thinking about it and Sue was even getting me a small hobby one for Christmas. Now I'm researching some serious hardware. I told Sue a thickness planer would be nice...:)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #253 on: December 08, 2019, 10:08:17 AM »
and a 3D Printer.....

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #254 on: December 08, 2019, 10:38:03 AM »
I always wanted a surface planer, but I was able to get by with my 6" jointer. My cabinet sub had a surface planer and 37" drum sander that I could use for the few bigger projects I did.

Here's some custom exterior garden doors I built out of Red Mangaris. I had my overhead air cleaner running and was wearing a good dust mask, but those Red Mangaris fibers are brutal to work with.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 11:30:34 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal