Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 98022 times)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #225 on: June 10, 2019, 12:50:59 PM »
Halloween Michael Myers all grown up...

... exceptional work StoneA... and what a great gift the cleaver is!   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 10, 2019, 01:24:32 PM »
Halloween Michael Myers all grown up...

... exceptional work StoneA... and what a great gift the cleaver is!   

+1 - If I don't sleep well tonight its Bob and Bill's fault for sure!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #227 on: June 10, 2019, 08:26:06 PM »
Thanks all.

Kaya - Just some acrylic paint

Luca - the table and chair aren't mine. I don't build too much regular furniture. I've done a couple chairs, a bakers cart, and a vanity. All came out nice but only one chair would I consider fine furniture...all pegged and cross wedged mortice and tenon. My big mans chair that I built after getting sick of destroying so many store bought ones.

The box is actually a solid piece of fir 2 x 10 split down the middle with a walnut veneered panel top and bottom and oak band trim. It's actually just kind of thrown together from scrap I had laying around. The knife depressions actually took the longest to do....I hand carved them in the fir.

No gallery likely. I give away most stuff either to charity or friends and family.....even some to strangers. I gave this birdhouse to the admin of a local FB page that I frequent. Enjoyable page with so many pictures and videos of the beach that it's almost like having a webcam....daily reports on conditions too.
She mentioned that she likes octopuses and is an avid sea glass and shell collector. We found a bunch of sea glass and shells on Baby beach (Maui) so I burnt an octopus and have it collecting some of it.

I'm going to do a few similar birdhouses to raffle and the big Manta is going to be an auction item at the CCBC.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:30:56 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #228 on: October 24, 2019, 08:18:22 PM »
The towel is still in the air but I have been stuck at home a lot lately so I've been keeping myself busy. I finally got this fairy house done for my granddaughter....only been working on it of and on for two years...:)

After getting that done I wanted to do something for my older granddaughter and I did the table lamp for her in a couple of days.

I did this whale fluke a few months back...really like this one....1st thing I've kept for us in awhile. did another for my daughters charity event..

Hopefully next post will involve some water time...…:)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2019, 09:03:49 PM »
Totally cool Stoney. Your creating dreams for your grand kids that they will never forget. You are an incredible craftsman with the vision of an artist. Thanks for sharing. Post a little more too....dude.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2019, 10:43:43 PM »
What he said!  Besides being the coolest grandpa you are also doing them an enormous credit.  You are teaching them the beauty and joy that can be gotten through some hard work.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 24, 2019, 11:14:25 PM »
Beautiful!
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #232 on: October 25, 2019, 05:35:47 AM »
Man, I just took the towel and threw it back out. Actually I hid it :-X
So I guess you just going to have to go forward and make some more of this 8) stuff.
in progress...

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #233 on: October 25, 2019, 05:50:31 AM »
Totally fantastic...  Good for you!   That will well outlast you and plant a 'fond memory seeds' in your descendants.   

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 25, 2019, 09:13:32 AM »
missed you, stones---if your work speaks, youre doing well---dont be a stranger!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: October 27, 2019, 02:42:27 PM »
Oh my gosh! Such creativity, and beautiful work stoney...you are most definitely a master craftsman. Gorgeous.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #236 on: November 02, 2019, 08:09:46 PM »
Yeah...I've been lurking a lot but haven't had all that much to talk about. Haven't been able to drive much lately. Need to get off my ass and just walk to the beach. Unfortunately even the idea of the bike is out....almost ended some test rides with disaster..... :o ::)
Plus side is teaching my granddaughter some skills. She loves to carve with me and is learning quickly.

Helping me build Cousin It for Halloween.....cutting the base. Scroll saws are great with kids.

Some more recent work....carving for Christmas. birdhouse for my sister, scary tiki by request from my sister-in-law....fits her..... :) I added a base, top, and access door in the back of the tiki, bought an inexpensive blue tooth speaker that pulses a light show to the music and mounts on the door inside. It just came in today and I had to test it of course....so tacky it's awesome! The tiki provides some directional amplification so the sound is actually pretty good. It already lights up the eyes and mouth well but I'm also going to line the inside with foil tape like I did the table lamp above. The back of the skull also comes off so an electric tea light can be stuck in there....:)

I'm getting better with the pyro pens....I like how the dragonfly wings came out here. I'm going to do a practice panel with a lot of the common local insects on it, tight detailed work that is good practice and fun to do.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:40:18 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #237 on: November 02, 2019, 09:01:26 PM »
Just awesome Bob.... Given lemons, create works of art. All this paddling shit can be a major distraction, that obviously hinders some peoples the creative potential. You've got a great flow going. Keep it up.

BTW, I noticed your grand daughters solution to working on a cold floor :D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2019, 01:54:04 AM »
I'm getting better with the pyro pens....I like how the dragonfly wings came out here. I'm going to do a practice panel with a lot of the common local insects on it, tight detailed work that is good practice and fun to do.

That is outstanding!  It adds a ton of unusual detail and character.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2019, 02:23:16 AM »
Great work. Keep it up. Great to get the kids involved too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal