Author Topic: Throwing in the towel  (Read 97803 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing in the towel
« Reply #180 on: March 16, 2019, 08:28:50 PM »
The 3D map thing is a good gig. Quite a few people doing them, but the quality varies a lot--some folks just have shitty taste. Simple to do with a lasercutter. Relatively simple custom papercut maps are 250 up. From there it's marketing. It surprises me how expensive pottery has become. I know two potters on Maui who make a good living at it. I thought it was just a way to make a lot of clumsy coffee cups. Maybe I should dust off the wheel and kiln.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2019, 10:38:52 PM »
I'll probably get one of these to mess with, and then get something real once I am comfortable with it and confirm I'm actually using it instead of just collecting dust and taking space. It's all open source, like buying a Prusa printer. https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-3018-Engraver-Controller-Extension/dp/B07DXMFY38  About 250 bucks.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: March 17, 2019, 04:52:49 AM »
It surprises me how expensive pottery has become. I know two potters on Maui who make a good living at it. I thought it was just a way to make a lot of clumsy coffee cups. Maybe I should dust off the wheel and kiln.

Taking pottery classes in retirement seems almost cliche, But I might try it. I have the urge to be creative even though I haven't been able to uncover much talent. I was decent at wood turning; had a couple of lathes at different times. I can probably learn to use a wheel pretty quickly. It has a lot of appeal - quiet, dust free, reasonable cost for equipment and materials and you can restart a project that isn't going well without scrapping all the materials. About an hour south of me in the Sandhills region of NC around Pinehurst, there are a large number of potters and have been for a couple of hundred years. The natural clay there is prized for pottery.  Some of the potters have massive wood fired kilns that they only use a few times a year, packing them with months of work and having big celebrations while they fire the pottery.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 17, 2019, 04:44:17 PM »
I don't enjoy messing with the bits and pieces as much as my brother does but this looks pretty easy and he sent me a motor...all in for the rest is under $500. I'm not going to be trail riding or anything...strictly the road to and from the beach and then on the beach itself. I won't be going far unfortunately. I used to love to ride but I need to be very careful these days. I may try some slow rides on some wider trails locally. It kind of sucks because we have some great challenging riding trails nearby but I just can't risk those.
I'm not really into technical trails anymore myself, but I'm loving the fatties.  After pushing almost 500 miles on my bike, I'm finding I'm spending a lot more time on the road that what I figured.  The trails around my area are very limited and short, but Hwy 1 goes on forever, so that's where I'm spending most of my time.  But, I'm wearing out the stock knobby tires that came with it, pretty quickly, so I'm probably going to be replacing them with these, which seem to be getting very good reviews.
http://fatbikereviews.com/product/origin8-supercell-wire-bead-fat-bike-tires-26-x-4-0-black-black/
Once you got your bike set up, I predict you'll be spending a lot more time on it than you figure, you don't really need to go boondocking to come home with a big smile.

Stoney, Really, if you have any interest in riding an e bike, just listen to Gregg. No mus no fuss. Of course if you just want to bull shit around, listen to you’re brother.
Ha!  Thanks Rickk, but there are only two G's in my name, one at each end.  I don't suppose I'll be seeing you at Arroyo this season, oh well.  Here's a pic I took yesterday while riding my bike, I think you'll recognize it, spring has sprung!
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 17, 2019, 05:14:22 PM »
Yeah, fatties are addictive, especially with a motor. Thin, hard tires are much more efficient but after they dump you on your ass the efficiency is less attractive. You can pretty much bounce over anything with a fat tire bike, and the front end is unlikely to wash out. No suspension required, though a sprung seat is nice if you do much banging around. I tried one on another guy's bike, cushy, but not so different that it seemed to be worth the money or effort.

My eFatty here in Maui hasn't been getting much use since the battery pack I cobbled together for it out of drone batteries got wet over the summer. I don't keep potentially dangerous RC model batteries in the house, and my outside storage "safe" leaked. Nasty mess that the hazardous disposal folks at the dump didn't like the looks of but took anyway. I hate riding on the road in Maui--too many dipshits texting or siteseeing. It's spooky enough in an SUV. I had two cars head straight for me across the dividing line last week. Both women--obviously texting. When I honked they looked up and swerved away, and as they passed I saw them look down again. Phone zombies.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2019, 11:05:54 AM »
i ve been drumming for years--timbales, djembes, kit, and a slick roland electric hand drum

love it--when i finally retire ima ramp up my percussion theory, take lessons and play with all the people who've offered

pottery? why not? my wife love to go to the pottery storefront near us--relaxes her--she throws a pot or two, paints on the glaze, and picks up the product, kilned, a day later
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #186 on: March 18, 2019, 12:04:19 PM »
I'll probably get one of these to mess with, and then get something real once I am comfortable with it and confirm I'm actually using it instead of just collecting dust and taking space. It's all open source, like buying a Prusa printer. https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-3018-Engraver-Controller-Extension/dp/B07DXMFY38  About 250 bucks.

I've been looking at them. That's likely the way I'll go but I'd like a bigger table than that.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2019, 08:08:57 PM »
Took a walk on the beach with the wife an grandkids about 10 miles south of us....Ellisville harbor state park. I had never been before...going to be a fun place to explore. Tidemarsh to go for paddles with the kids and there is a nice bar there that looks like it could be fun with a swell and a nice little point a 1/4 mile down the beach.

Found a piece of driftwood that was the right size for something I wanted to do. Since we live right in between White Horse Beach and Long Beach. A few minutes of wood burning.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2019, 09:52:28 AM »
That beach arrow is great, really like the looks of it.

If I lived in Lebanon, Kansas I would want one made, point the arrows east and west.

Make paddleboarding great again!

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2019, 10:51:58 AM »
Ellisville Harbor is great place to watch the Pilot Whales feed. They come in close. And just a beautiful place for a beach walk.
New England Is My Playground

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #190 on: March 25, 2019, 12:18:19 PM »

I also tried to play a few instruments - guitar, uke, mandolin, flute/whistle, bass and keyboards. I still have a couple of keyboards; I enjoy playing just for myself sometimes or provide a little rhythm with others on some songs or just pull out my little keyboard and just play a bass line. Not much talent.

Hi Ride,

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you give guitar?  String instruments do require a lot of time before you have enough foundation to be a beginner.  As a pursuit it is almost the opposite of SUP.  After 1000 hours I guarantee that you will find that you had a lot more talent than you thought :).

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »

I also tried to play a few instruments - guitar, uke, mandolin, flute/whistle, bass and keyboards. I still have a couple of keyboards; I enjoy playing just for myself sometimes or provide a little rhythm with others on some songs or just pull out my little keyboard and just play a bass line. Not much talent.

Hi Ride,

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you give guitar?  String instruments do require a lot of time before you have enough foundation to be a beginner.  As a pursuit it is almost the opposite of SUP.  After 1000 hours I guarantee that you will find that you had a lot more talent than you thought :).

Off and on for decades. But usually no more than a few months of near daily practice. I do have more trouble with mechanics of string instruments now as arthritis has become an issue, but my real frustration is with not being able to learn to play without music or some instructions (like "12 bar in E").  I still mess around with keyboard, which I have the longest history with, as I do a little better, not as bothered my arthritis and can have fun with computer based synthesizers.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2019, 03:30:40 PM »
Off and on for decades. But usually no more than a few months of near daily practice. I do have more trouble with mechanics of string instruments now as arthritis has become an issue, but my real frustration is with not being able to learn to play without music or some instructions (like "12 bar in E").  I still mess around with keyboard, which I have the longest history with, as I do a little better, not as bothered my arthritis and can have fun with computer based synthesizers.

I hear you.  I am 15 months in and completely addicted.  Getting started is so hard because it takes a while to get down enough basics to even begin feeling any progress.  This is true of everyone.  But it is worth it.  Eric Clapton quit guitar twice in frustration early on.  Jimi Hendricks is famously quoted as saying, "Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar, but if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  Listen to Mark Knopfler talk about his early experiences below.  These are players who are regarded now as the best.  No one gets it easy.  The hardest part is not discouraging yourself.  If you keep with it you will improve and you will become accomplished and after that, talented :).  There are some really funny videos out there.  Search for my fingers/hands are (too old, too fat, too big, too small, too...) on YouTube.  Good stuff.  The answer is, they are not.  But it is so hard at first that it seems like they must be.  I guarantee you can play a solid 12 bar blues if that is your goal.

The free information online is nothing short of spectacular.  Everything you need is there. 

Aristotle:  "for the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG__SwkV3wg&t=263s
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 03:43:27 PM by Admin »

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2019, 04:08:51 PM »

I hear you.  I am 15 months in and completely addicted.  Getting started is so hard because it takes a while to get down enough basics to even begin feeling any progress.  This is true of everyone.  But it is worth it.  Eric Clapton quit guitar twice in frustration early on.  Jimi Hendricks is famously quoted as saying, "Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar, but if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  Listen to Mark Knopfler talk about his early experiences below.  These are players who are regarded now as the best.  No one gets it easy.  The hardest part is not discouraging yourself.  If you keep with it you will improve and you will become accomplished and after that, talented :).  There are some really funny videos out there.  Search for my fingers/hands are (too old, too fat, too big, too small, too...) on YouTube.  Good stuff.  The answer is, they are not.  But it is so hard at first that it seems like they must be.  I guarantee you can play a solid 12 bar blues if that is your goal.

The free information online is nothing short of spectacular.  Everything you need is there. 

Aristotle:  "for the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG__SwkV3wg&t=263s

I can play a solid 12 bar, or I could when I last played fairly often; it would take me some time to get back to that level if I could now. But I could play it pretty much exactly as learned and couldn't figure out variations unless I had the music or someone walked me through it. I couldn't improvise well at all. When it sounded like I was it was because I was playing some stock lick. My mechanics were never all that good, but passable. I hosted "dad jams" in my garage for a while and I would play rhythm or bass well enough for others to sing, swap licks and do more interesting rhythm ornamentation. I mostly thumped roots and did easy canned walks on bass. I have played piano/keyboard off and on for over 50 years so it's a little more ingrained. I have two MIDI keyboards - a 49 key full size and a 32 key mini right now that I still mess with, so I haven't given up music completely. I even have a 32 key melodica in case I want to unplug, head out into the wilderness and scare animals.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2019, 05:02:15 PM »
Ride,

It sounds like you were advancing really well.  It is a very tall order to be improvising after a few months (or a few stretches of a few months).  I can't imagine anyone really feeling comfortable enough moving around in the scale shapes (or even knowing them) enough to improvise that quickly.  Even linking common licks on demand is super impressive in that time frame.  It sounds like you were transitioning some chords well enough to play with others which is great.  If you still have interest there it might be worth another go.  Disregard if you are happily past it :).

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM